Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
American Airlines pilot suggests passengers discuss Christianity
Associated Press

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked
Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians
discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based airline
said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on Friday
afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not
released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the
Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers use the
flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith, Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the flight
to talk about his first announcement.

Wagner said the airline was investigating the incident, and that the company had
guidelines about appropriate behavior. He said the pilot had just returned to
work from a weeklong mission trip to Costa Rica.

"It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be
appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job," Wagner said.

Personally, I believe he should be terminated on the spot. This was clearly a violation of company policy and I'm sure it pissed off more than a few customers - and I would have been one of them.

<_< With a handle like "WingNaPrayer", why would you be pist? Working for a Company like this, I feel we need all the help we can get!!!!!!!Sign: "Just another redheaded stepchild!!!"

TWAnr said:
Would you feel the same if the pilot was promoting Islam, Buddhism, or some other non Christian faith?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Wow, I agreed with someone that has ties to TWA!!

He may get written up but the APA will fight for him. I doubt he will get fired for this.

I'm sure AMR will get more than a few strongly worded letters and phone calls over this one. The turn around plan does not make concessions for alienating all religions of the world except one.

This type of behavior is inexcusable. And I am a life-long Episcopalian. This sort of behavior reminds me of a quote from Gandhi.

For any who might not know...
Gandhi was educated at Oxford University in England, and he always said that he built his non-violent movement upon the Sermon on the Mount. However, he also once said, "Having read the teachings of Jesus Christ, I could have been a Christian very easily, if I had not met so many of them."

As the old lady said when the preacher asked her why she wasn't in church on Sunday, "preacher, I'd rather see a sermon than hear one."

You clowns are assuming the pax listened to the PA in the first place and heard what what said clearly.

If it's true, a Chief should sit down with him and say,"knock it off Jimmy Swaggert or lose your job"

Spare us the lecture on"company policy". If a male AA captain can still fly during the medical procedure of chopping off his unit and taking mind altering hormonal drugs to grow female breasts, I wouldn't go around firing guys for stuff like random intructions on how to get "born again" or which way to bow to Mecca while in the rarely cleaned lav.

He should be interviewed by a professional, helped to deal with his embarassment, probable shame and guilt, and if everything is OK returned to the line AS SOON AS HE FEELS WILLING AND ABLE.

MCI transplant said:
<_< With a handle like "WingNaPrayer", why would you be pist? Working for a Company like this, I feel we need all the help we can get!!!!!!!Sign: "Just another redheaded stepchild!!!"
MCItransplant,
(I'll get to the topic and hand, in my next post)
BUT,
"What about those NE Patriots huh" ????????????????/

NH/BB's

The commanding officer(If it was the captain), who's job it is, is to assure the "absolute" saftey of the pax, crew, and a/c, has his mind PRE OCCUPIED with(what might very well border on) "Religous Fanaticism"

While I don't advocate termination, I STRONGLY suggest he/she be taught a lesson, not soon forgotten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

LiveInAHotel said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Wow, I agreed with someone that has ties to TWA!!

He may get written up but the APA will fight for him. I doubt he will get fired for this.
Careful, you might get written up for agreeing with one of us.

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
While I don't advocate termination, I STRONGLY suggest he/she be taught a lesson, not soon forgotten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

I agree with you on this. I hate to see people bring up termination so easily. If he is told not to do it and then he does it again then he deserves whatever he gets. Thank God (no pun intended) that this was a flight in the U.S. and not in some other part of the world. Can you imagine if you were on a flight somewhere in the Middle East and someone came over the P.A. and asked all the Christains to raise their hands?

super80fa said:
NewHampshire Black Bears said:

NH/BB's

I agree with you on this. I hate to see people bring up termination so easily. If he is told not to do it and then he does it again then he deserves whatever he gets. Thank God (no pun intended) that this was a flight in the U.S. and not in some other part of the world. Can you imagine if you were on a flight somewhere in the Middle East and someone came over the P.A. and asked all the Christains to raise their hands?
super80fa,

As a "newbie" on this message board(US Aviation's term for you, Not mine), allow me to tell you that as a union "die-hard", the word termination, is RARELY EVER used by me !!!!!!!!!!!!

But that's not to say that I would "NEVER" say "NEVER", about terminating someone.

This case does NOT meet that "criteria"(termination) however.

Of ALL routes to pull this "crap" on(JFK-LAX-JFK is "numero uno" on AA.) !!!

With a "ton" of Asian(Buddist) , and Jewish pax on this particular route, plus a likely amount of Hindu's and Muslims, this was a "classic" SCREW-UP !!!!

NH/BB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts