PSA 1771

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Wasn't going to mention it since it's not a "round" anniversary, but a discussion over at airliners.net about PSA 1771 caught my eye.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/g...d.main/4631002/

This tragedy was very traumatic for everyone at PSA and had effects on everyone in the industry. People who knew Ray Thomson, the manager who was the target of the killer's rage, have told me what a wonderful person - and good manager to boot - he was.

As is common on a.net, the postings are a mix of insight and pablum. Earlier today, there was an fairly objectionable comment that a.net has since removed.

December 7th. Not one of history's happier dates.

PSA Flight 1771
December 7, 1987

Douglas M. Arthur
Chief Pilot - LAX
Joined PSA in 1975

John Conte
Field Service Agent - SFO
Joined PSA in 1976

Julie Gottesman
Flight Attendant - SFO
Joined PSA in 1987

Gregg N. Lindamood
Captain - LAX
Joined PSA in 1973

Deborah Neil
Flight Attendant - SFO
Joined PSA in 1970

James Nunn
First Officer - LAX
Joined PSA in 1987

Debra Vuylsteke
Flight Attendant - SFO
Joined PSA in 1977

I'm sorry to say it was an inauspicious introduction to US Air.

Indeed.

As I posted on A-net, I had been with PSA for just 7 months when flight 1771 crashed. Julie Gottesman was a flight attendant trainee who was doing a line training flight aboard 1771. As most of the former PSAer's know, Douglas Arthur, the LAX Chief Pilot, was married to Nikki St. Germain. Nikki was a Regional Sales Director for PSA in San Diego and had lost her brother in the crash of PSA flight 182, 9 years before. Her brother was a flight attendant aboard that ill-fated flight.

The tragedy of flight 1771 was truly a sad end to PSA's rich 49-year history and legacy.

PSA1979: Thank you for posting the names of our fallen colleagues.

I was doing a SAN-SMF turn the day it happened and Julie was supposed to be on my flight. The trainee we had, traded with Julie at the last minute, and I am sorry I cannot remember her name ( nor would I post it here). Needless to say, she was devistated when we heard what happened after landing in SMF. The SMF station wanted us to turn the flight around and get it boarded as quick as we could before the passengers heard about the crash. They wouldn't let us get off and call home to say we were ok. No one had cell phones back then, and we were all very distraught.
My thoughts and prayers are still with those loved ones.

I remember being stunned when I heard that this murderous assault occurred. What a sad day for the families of the victims.

We who were in the industry at the time remember the government reaction (they had to do SOMETHING...even if it made no sense...they had to APPEAR to be in control.) They summarily stopped allowing crew members to bypass security screening. Of course, only the crewmembers (the first victims of this attack) were targeted in the government "solution" to the problem.

Of course it was a fired ground employee who murdered these people. What did the government do to alleviate that threat? Basically nothing. They still have their bypass doors...22 years later.

I remember that awful time, 22 years ago, very well indeed, the shock of the crash turning to horror and revulsion the next morning when I heard the news that it had been caused by one the industry's own.

Some years after the crash, a friend visited the site. No memorial is there; the owners of the land don't want trespassers (as is their right). The cemetery in the nearby town of Los Osos has a memorial. There were still bits of metal scattered about the rather bucolic rolling hills and pasture land. It was an emotional experience for him; he knew some of the crew members and John Conte, the nonrev who died. He told me that John rarely used his flight benefits and had been considering leaving the airline. He had been in LA to check a job interview in auto industry. Another friend was a law school classmate of of the other passengers.

It is tragic whenever someone takes his own life. Much more horrible when he takes the life of the person he blames for his troubles. But is is truly unfathomable to take the lives of 42 innocents. It was a dark day indeed for the airline industry and those in it.

Found this youtube video. Not sure what it has to do with UA93, but the segments relating to PSA 1771 are haunting.

I remember ........................Of course it was a fired ground employee who murdered these people. What did the government do to alleviate that threat? Basically nothing. They still have their bypass doors...22 years later.

Wrong.

I remember too. I remember that nightmarish event like it was yesterday. It effected us all in some way back then.

It was the old Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. The East Dock. The day before, just like all the years before, we would just waltz through security through the exit isle just like we owned the place. It kind of made you feel good, being that extra special airline employee that could bypass security unlike the commoner, the passenger.

On the day of the tragic event, we were met at security by some very upset, and angry security check point people, and police who sent us in a u-turn and back through metal detectors. The checked our lunch boxes. At the time, I was unaware what happened.

In the break room, the rumor was some maniac PSA employee caused this. Back then, the merger with PSA caused some uncertainty and anxiety among USAir people. The next day when the truth came out, and it was learned it was a USAir employee, I remember grown men crying in the break room.

That day the door to the locker room, before the security check point, was locked and the handle was removed. And from that day, and 22 years later, if any "bypass" doors exist, I don't know of them. That was the last day I ever felt special.

I'll never forget my encounter during a long ATC delay as UMNR from ROC to LGA back in 1985 with David Burke the ROC USAir Supervisor. He was so freindly and I was so impressed as an avaition buff as he gave me a tour of ROC ops and let me hang out in the agent breakroom during the long delay. As a kid it was just awesome and the next year as I made same trip down to LGA when I asked for him I was advised he had moved on out to LAX with a transfer. When I saw the news that night I looked at my father with my mouth open and with astoishment announced how I knew Mr.Burke. I guess you just never know.....................

That day the door to the locker room, before the security check point, was locked and the handle was removed. And from that day, and 22 years later, if any "bypass" doors exist, I don't know of them. That was the last day I ever felt special.

Wow! You're working at the wrong airport. I can't speak to every airport, but I know PHL and CLT rampers and CSAs can bypass security through non-screened doors using their badges. And, no one is there checking to see if the picture on the badge matches the face on the user, so it can certainly allow unauthoried access.

Did you miss the big fiasco in PHL where the employee used one of those doors to carry a weapon through and handed it to his friend at the gate?

Don't tell me I'm wrong. The other 99.999% of airline employees here know that I;m right.

I remember being stunned when I heard that this murderous assault occurred. What a sad day for the families of the victims.

We who were in the industry at the time remember the government reaction (they had to do SOMETHING...even if it made no sense...they had to APPEAR to be in control.) They summarily stopped allowing crew members to bypass security screening. Of course, only the crewmembers (the first victims of this attack) were targeted in the government "solution" to the problem.

Of course it was a fired ground employee who murdered these people. What did the government do to alleviate that threat? Basically nothing. They still have their bypass doors...22 years later.

You make some excellent points.

Latest posts