PSA Fires Agents

Mar 17, 2006
Between the TEAMSTERS and PSA/US AIRWAYS I don't know who to be the most angry with. For 4 VERY LONG YEARS, the TEAMSTERS nor PSA have made ANY EFFORT TO RESOLVE THIS MATTER WHAT SO EVER. And now US Airways/PSA is going to get up on the cross and FIRE these employees who were so fustrated at the lack of concern from the company and the union that the only way they found to get anyones attention was to temporaraly walk away from their jobs.
What is this airline comming to? Parker MUST realize that he has taken on the responsibility of the entire airline, including the wholly owned carriers as well, and he needs to step up to the plate and do something. These employees deserve the same respect and attention that he has showered mainline with. I am ashamed of how this company has handled the situation at PSA, and the "powers that be" including the UNION should be ashamed as well.

FROM THE BEAVER COUNTY TIMES.....

FINDLAY TWP. - US Airways Express subsidiary PSA Airlines on Thursday fired 15 people in connection with last week's walkout by ramp and gate workers frustrated by a lack of progress on contract talks.

US Airways Express ramp and gate workers at Pittsburgh International Airport walked off the job April 26. Their contract has been up for renegotiation for four years, and a 7-cent hourly wage increase offered by the airline was the breaking point that sparked the impromptu strike.

On the day after the strike, PSA filed suit against the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 926, in U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh. The company asked the court to issue an injunction against further walkouts and order the union to take steps to prevent future walkouts, such as disciplining members.

The airline also charged in court papers that union stewards had urged workers to walk out and said the union had taken no steps to discipline the workers or prevent further walkouts. Union stewards were among those fired Thursday.

On Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge David Cercone denied the injunction request, said Charlie Byrnes, chairman of the negotiating committee for the Teamsters.

"What happened, happened," Byrnes said. "But without any proof that these people were involved, (firing) is too severe."

The union will file grievances on behalf of the people who lost their jobs, he said.

The national mediator overseeing the talks suspended them after learning of last week's walkout, and talks have yet to resume, Byrnes said. Airline lawyers notified the union of the firings during Thursday's hearing.

PSA Airlines Inc. of Dayton, Ohio, operating as US Airways Express in Pittsburgh, employs 406 fleet service and passenger service agents in Pittsburgh and operates 130 daily flights.

The walkouts, which occurred on the morning and evening shifts, delayed 11 planes for more than three hours, affecting about 200 passengers, the airline said in court papers.

Airline officials could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Stephanie Waite can be reached online at [email protected].

©Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2006
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

well in a way, I dont blame the employees for walking out for a little while. But my question is, was it a legal walk out? I mean, if there was a strike that is one thing, but this was for a couple of hrs I think.

But my question is, was it a legal walk out? I mean, if there was a strike that is one thing, but this was for a couple of hrs I think.

It sounds like an illegal strike to me. These agents decided to take 'negotiations' into their own hands and stepped out of bounds in the process. Most likely they were the trouble makers anyways and the company was more than glad to separate them involuntarily.

You can't wildcat strike in the airline industry.

You can only strike once the mediator and the board declares an impasse in negotations.

You can't wildcat strike in the airline industry.

You can only strike once the mediator and the board declares an impasse in negotations.
"It sounds like an illegal strike to me. These agents decided to take 'negotiations' into their own hands and stepped out of bounds in the process. Most likely they were the trouble makers anyways and the company was more than glad to separate them"

Trouble makers? What the he11! These people have worked for a lot less doing the samething as their counterparts.
That is an awfull assumption to make on your part. What the he11 is someone supposed to do when the company and their union have ignored them for 4 years? Put yourself in their shoes before you make your assumuption.

Their pay was cut to 6.27 an hour to start with a top out at 10.00 after 10 years of service. This was not a contract that was voted on and approved. For 4 years US Airways/PSA or The Teamsters would not go to the table. The company had the option to raise the pay to aleast what Piedmont was making but they chose not to. PSA and The Teamsters could have met to resolve this, but both chose not to.

No impasse could be declared because neither would met to discuss it. What else can you do?

if the wages are that bad, then perhaps they should be looking else where for gainful employment.

if the wages are that bad, then perhaps they should be looking else where for gainful employment.
PSA employees ,like most everyone else, stood by the company because we were asked to do so. They asked us to be patient and we were. But FOUR YEARS?!? For most of us this is our career, hula. You can't just walk away for it. We've waited and waited for ours to come, because we were told it was comming. Others segments of this airline are getting theirs and they did'nt have to wait four years. Why would they treat other employees this way? Its just wrong, plain and simple.

:angry: who cares if its legal or not this people are being
treated like dogs. while the big boys take all the money.

Please don't lie about the PIT pay scale. They start at 6.77 and get a decent raise after 6 months.. I want to say it is 60 or 80 cents, but I know after a year it puts them over $1.00 what they started at.

Yes, the contract sucks, but thank the union leaders for telling the same members that walked out, to vote down the contract, which would have put them damn near or at Piedmont levels.

They start at 6.77 and get a decent raise after 6 months.. I want to say it is 60 or 80 cents, but I know after a year it puts them over $1.00 what they started at.

Yes, the contract sucks, but thank the union leaders for telling the same members that walked out, to vote down the contract, which would have put them damn near or at Piedmont levels.

What union leader would tell their members to vote for poverty?

:up: Cant agree with you more...all I did was read this about the 4 year deal, and I was like why are you staying with an express carrier that treats you like this. Stop your bitching! Move on!

Tell that to British Airways
negotiate and declare a impasse and go on strike (CHASO)
That was in England, not the US where unionized workers in the airline industry are covered under the Railway Labor Act, compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

PSA employees ,like most everyone else, stood by the company because we were asked to do so. They asked us to be patient and we were. But FOUR YEARS?!? For most of us this is our career, hula. You can't just walk away for it. We've waited and waited for ours to come, because we were told it was comming. Others segments of this airline are getting theirs and they did'nt have to wait four years. Why would they treat other employees this way? Its just wrong, plain and simple.
Hopefully you can figure it out before another 4 years goes by. Express agents are not careers. They are for young aimless kids looking for the allure of the airlines and older folks looking for the medical/travel benefits. If you aren't either of these, than get out and get a CAREER. Try the nursing field. Lots of need in the future and good pay. Ask PitBull.....