PSA mismanagement causes numerous cancelations

N823js

Mar 21, 2007
PSA Airlines canceled scores of flights this weekend [June 2nd 3rd] due to a lack of flight crews.

I have heard numbers ranging from 20 to 30 cancelations on Sunday out of CLT alone.

This is a sampling of the flights that were CXLD during the last bank alone out of CLT Sunday night. They are all terminators so the pax probably ended spending the night in CLT.

2205 CLT CHS
2580 CLT FAY
2445 CLT LEX
2257 CLT SDF
2261 CLT MEM
2574 CLT PHN
2285 CLT TLH

I have been told that Mr.Tim Keusher VP of operations of PSA in Vandalia OH was warned of the looming pilot shortage by his staff last year but no hiring was done and no FO's were scheduled to begin upgrade class until April 30 of 07.

How is it that the stockholders of US Airways group tolerate this kind of mismanagement?

PSA Airlines canceled scores of flights this weekend [June 2nd 3rd] due to a lack of flight crews.

I have heard numbers ranging from 20 to 30 cancelations on Sunday out of CLT alone.

This is a sampling of the flights that were CXLD during the last bank alone out of CLT Sunday night. They are all terminators so the pax probably ended spending the night in CLT.

2205 CLT CHS
2580 CLT FAY
2445 CLT LEX
2257 CLT SDF
2261 CLT MEM
2574 CLT PHN
2285 CLT TLH

I have been told that Mr.Tim Keusher VP of operations of PSA in Vandalia OH was warned of the looming pilot shortage by his staff last year but no hiring was done and no FO's were scheduled to begin upgrade class until April 30 of 07.

How is it that the stockholders of US Airways group tolerate this kind of mismanagement?

Interestingly, PSA was to introduce a new roundtrip departure from ILM. The flight leaves at 8.10pm daily except Saturday. The flight was suppose to start Sunday. The flight has now cancelled for both Sunday, June 3 and June 4, Monday.

My concern is for our passengers. PSA often waits an hour or two to before departure to cancel a flight knowing a flight will ultimately cancel. If PSA is so short of crews, PSA could help our customers by cancelling their flight a few days before departure, so alternate arrangements will be met.

Deja Vu!!! Didn't this happen in the Summer of 2004? Hope this isn't a repeat of that.....

Doesn't it cost less to pay employees a reasonable amount of money to attract and retain them?

Not according to Microsoft Excel, where increases salary = increased expenses.

Current management will not be able to comprehend.

Hence, the falacy of the MBA and his/her "pinheadness". They are bean counters and often fail at operational tasks. It is worse than a spreadsheet...MBAs are schooled to "push" costs on suppliers and employees, away from the company's costs of sales. It is immoral and is an abject failure in the long run. However, where is a CEO at a company for the long run? Maybe SWA, and they focus on innovation to keep costs in line, not pushing them on employees or suppliers, at least not yet.

PSA management was trying to look good 12 months ago to try to attract new flying. They were doing this by reducing the crews/ airplane model. This has come back to bite them in the rear.

I have heard things like “we did not really expect all the J4Js to go back" Or “we do not understand why FO's are making lateral moves in the industry". TK called a senior ca about 2 weeks ago and actually asked him why people were leaving in droves. I laughed so hard when he told me about the conversation.

We have reduced our total block hours by about 6-7 hundred for each of the last two months and we are having these problems. Are we going to reduce another 700 hours for July?

They only last month started to put a real quantity of new FOs into the classes. Recalls have been going since the first of the year and last month was the first time they ran more than 8 new hires a month through class.

PSA is hiring 300 hour wonder kids who are a danger to the cockpit of a jet airliner. This is because no one wants to work for PSA and the terrible quality of life. We have a management team that contiunually disrespects us. They are fools who can only count beans and don't know the value of 'working' relations with employees.

:angry:

The ones they do hire, over 50% will leave and go to Republic or other regionals rather than tolerate the BS from Dayton on a continual basis.

PSA is hiring 300 hour wonder kids who are a danger to the cockpit of a jet airliner. This is because no one wants to work for PSA and the terrible quality of life. We have a management team that contiunually disrespects us. They are fools who can only count beans and don't know the value of 'working' relations with employees.

This is all true but PSA sucks less than Mesa.