Put this all in Perspective

Barberpole

May 10, 2007
Lets for a moment assume that AAA had merged with Fedex instead of AWA. Now according to AAA's twisted logic every single AAA pilot would be able to hold a Widebody captain slot. The most senior FURLOUGHED pilot would be called back into a MD11 Captain slot ahead of every single FedEx pilot hired in the last 18 years!!!!! Your 'honor DOH at all costs' argument would bump 60k per year fo's up to 250k/year captains overnight. You guys are so far out in right field I'm surprised you're not blushing when you raise the flag of riteous indignation.

I don't know what they put in the grits back there in CLT but you guys need a hit from the reality pipe.

Here's a question...

Where did this AAA designation come from? I've never heard of any part of the old <US Airways East> employee group referred to as AAA. So what exactly does this acronym stand for? The first mention I've ever seen of AAA on this board referring to the East pilot group has just been since the arbitrator's pilot "award".

The only AAA I knew of before now stood for an Auto Club.

?? :huh: ??

Here's a question...

Where did this AAA designation come from? I've never heard of any part of the old <US Airways East> employee group referred to as AAA. So what exactly does this acronym stand for? The first mention I've ever seen of AAA on this board referring to the East pilot group has just been since the arbitrator's pilot "award".

The only AAA I knew of before now stood for an Auto Club.

?? :huh: ??

I think it was All American Airways

Lets for a moment assume that AAA had merged with Fedex instead of AWA. Now according to AAA's twisted logic every single AAA pilot would be able to hold a Widebody captain slot. The most senior FURLOUGHED pilot would be called back into a MD11 Captain slot ahead of every single FedEx pilot hired in the last 18 years!!!!! Your 'honor DOH at all costs' argument would bump 60k per year fo's up to 250k/year captains overnight. You guys are so far out in right field I'm surprised you're not blushing when you raise the flag of riteous indignation.

I don't know what they put in the grits back there in CLT but you guys need a hit from the reality pipe.
Maybe US should merge with FedEx, this way they can deliver the customer's luggage to their home by 10:30am the next day! :up:

This is a dead on accurate assessment.

Those who tote the "DOH flag" only want to fix what they perceive as a career injustice done onto them by the rest of the world. If TWA were still around, and bought USAirways these same people would be crying about how unfair DOH is.

This is a dead on accurate assessment.

Those who tote the "DOH flag" only want to fix what they perceive as a career injustice done onto them by the rest of the world. If TWA were still around, and bought USAirways these same people would be crying about how unfair DOH is.

I think this arbitration will go down in history as yet another mile marker on the road to ending deregulation. It's safe to say that DOH is effectively dead and it's death will help facilitate the movement towards consolidation. The thirty some odd year experiment called deregulation did nothing to help revenues and everything to destabilize an industry which was functioning just fine on its own. I doubt our current population of business travelers were around in the day where flights flew on time, seats and aircraft were clean, and they weren't fighting with the Disneyland crowd for an aisle seat or overhead bin space. The race to the bottom was only possible by mortgaging fiscally sound airlines and when that cash ran out, then by shaking down the employees. Deregulation also spawned this bizarre notion that yield sat second chair to market share and that anything which increased market share was worth it. Hence, the RJs, with costs twice that of a mainliner. But it just wasn't working and by the end of the 90s, every carrier was suffering from plummeting fares and overcapacity. Crazy but catchy ideas came from the crystal palaces such as United Shuttle, Metrojet, and perhaps the king of all crazy ideas - Jim Goodwin's executive jet/UAL merger. But nothing was working and the gig was under great stress. The wizards behind the curtain were wondering what the world to do about it until the mother of all geopolitical crisis provided everything they needed for yet more shakedowns and outsourcing of mainline jobs. Did it ultimately save money? No, but with a national pilots union asleep at the helm, airline executives had a blank check to squeeze and squeeze pilots. Well, here we are nearly six years after 9/11 and...it's still not working. Doug and Glenn see it for what it is - that the grand experiment is a failure and are at least honest about the remedy. Consolidation is the only way out of this mess. Pilots have an opportunity, one chance only, to get this right as the consolidation takes place. Once complete, the collective strength of the three or four pilot groups will be a force and a strength not seen in any labor market for decades. We can't lose sight on what lies ahead.

I think this arbitration will go down in history as yet another mile marker on the road to ending deregulation. It's safe to say that DOH is effectively dead and it's death will help facilitate the movement towards consolidation. The thirty some odd year experiment called deregulation did nothing to help revenues and everything to destabilize an industry which was functioning just fine on its own. I doubt our current population of business travelers were around in the day where flights flew on time, seats and aircraft were clean, and they weren't fighting with the Disneyland crowd for an aisle seat or overhead bin space. The race to the bottom was only possible by mortgaging fiscally sound airlines and when that cash ran out, then by shaking down the employees. Deregulation also spawned this bizarre notion that yield sat second chair to market share and that anything which increased market share was worth it. Hence, the RJs, with costs twice that of a mainliner. But it just wasn't working and by the end of the 90s, every carrier was suffering from plummeting fares and overcapacity. Crazy but catchy ideas came from the crystal palaces such as United Shuttle, Metrojet, and perhaps the king of all crazy ideas - Jim Goodwin's executive jet/UAL merger. But nothing was working and the gig was under great stress. The wizards behind the curtain were wondering what the world to do about it until the mother of all geopolitical crisis provided everything they needed for yet more shakedowns and outsourcing of mainline jobs. Did it ultimately save money? No, but with a national pilots union asleep at the helm, airline executives had a blank check to squeeze and squeeze pilots. Well, here we are nearly six years after 9/11 and...it's still not working. Doug and Glenn see it for what it is - that the grand experiment is a failure and are at least honest about the remedy. Consolidation is the only way out of this mess. Pilots have an opportunity, one chance only, to get this right as the consolidation takes place. Once complete, the collective strength of the three or four pilot groups will be a force and a strength not seen in any labor market for decades. We can't lose sight on what lies ahead.

Well written post without name calling or insults slung by either side. The future role of consolidation is something to think about from a collective standpoint.

Here's a question...

Where did this AAA designation come from?

Heritage
US Airways traces its history to All American Aviation Company, a company founded by du Pont family brothers Richard C. du Pont and Alexis Felix du Pont, Jr.. Hubbed in Pittsburgh, the airline served the Ohio River valley in 1939. In 1949, the company was renamed All American Airways as it switched from airmail to passenger service. The company was again renamed, to Allegheny Airlines, in 1952.

Allegheny expanded progressively, introducing the Douglas DC-9 in 1966 and absorbing Lake Central Airlines in 1968 and Mohawk Airlines in 1972 to become one of the largest carriers in the northeastern United States.

Allegheny's agreement with Henson Airlines, the forerunner to today's US Airways Express carrier Piedmont Airlines, to provide service under the Allegheny Commuter banner, is generally regarded as the industry's first code-share agreement,[citation needed] a type of service now routinely offered throughout the industry.

The birth of USAir.
Allegheny changed its name to USAir in 1979 following the passage of the Airline Deregulation Act the previous year, which allowed the airline to expand its route network to the southern United States. In the early 1980s, its routes in the Northeast were fed by Ransome Airlines, among others. It was at this time with a new corporate name that the company moved its corporate headquarters from Pittsburgh to Arlington (Crystal City), Virginia near Washington, D.C., although Pittsburgh would remain its primary hub for another two decades.

Latest posts