Question about current livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the silver paint weigh more that regular flat paint on an aircraft? I'm just curious that I've seen some Airbus and they have a silver paintjob and I know that unlike aircraft like the MD-80 and 737 that you cannot leave them bare and shiney like AA does, I've noticed that AA's Airbus are painted flat gray. Is there a weight or cost savings to painting gray versus silver? I'm imagining that it might take more coats or be multistep to give it the sparkle. The reason I ask is because I've seen some artist renderings of the 787 in NW colors and it looks white instead of silver. It may be an artifact of how they did the picture or my computer monitor. Just curious.

Does the silver paint weigh more that regular flat paint on an aircraft? I'm just curious that I've seen some Airbus and they have a silver paintjob and I know that unlike aircraft like the MD-80 and 737 that you cannot leave them bare and shiney like AA does, I've noticed that AA's Airbus are painted flat gray. Is there a weight or cost savings to painting gray versus silver? I'm imagining that it might take more coats or be multistep to give it the sparkle. The reason I ask is because I've seen some artist renderings of the 787 in NW colors and it looks white instead of silver. It may be an artifact of how they did the picture or my computer monitor. Just curious.

No.

thanks for the answer.

Anyway this is the pic that made me question it. The 787 looks really cool with the new colors, but to me it kinda looked like it was white instead of pearl. I guess it's just because its a computer generated image.
NW_Boeing_787.jpg

compared to

800px-Northwest319.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.