Question about Non-Rev

Jan 24, 2011
Hello Everyone:) I work for US in CLT and I was woundering about the AA non-rev. My grampa is retired from AA and he said something about the employees have to pay to travel is that true? My next question is when you fly first class is it easy to get up there (for the most part) and how much is it? Thanks again and hope that I one day can say I work for AA (or what ever the name will be ) :)

Hello Everyone:) I work for US in CLT and I was woundering about the AA non-rev. My grampa is retired from AA and he said something about the employees have to pay to travel is that true? My next question is when you fly first class is it easy to get up there (for the most part) and how much is it? Thanks again and hope that I one day can say I work for AA (or what ever the name will be ) :)

Depends if it is international or not. Just got the charge for first class from England and it was 400 dollars. Granted this is a 4000 dollar ticket. If flying in the US it is free.

When I worked at AA from 98 to 2001, there was a fee for travel for example RDU to ORD was $7 and some change in coach. First was $14 and some change. Seem like it was a zone based system. Anyone with 5+ years, coach travel was free.

Now I am ay US and travel for the employee and dependents is completely free. Just pay taxes on international trips. Domestic upgrade is $20 per segment and $100 for Europe, Brazil, and Hawaii.

Free coach after 5 years domestic, international coach free after 25 years. FC service charges minimal, milage based, International always has a lot of taxes added.

Free coach after 5 years domestic, international coach free after 25 years. FC service charges minimal, milage based, International always has a lot of taxes added.

US is free online domestic and international coach...taxes only for int travel. Upgrades are 20 domestic and $100 Europe and Hawaii.

Boarding is seniority by date of hire.

Question about Non-Rev .................................

Whew!!!!! For a minute there I thought you were talking about me.
I have nothing bad to say about anyone here :) and thanks for all the feedback I hope that we kept the non rev of US and the upgrades for the DM/AA plus members that AA has so it is easer to fly FC I wont mind paying the upgrade fee if it is easer to upgreade lol

US is free online domestic and international coach...taxes only for int travel. Upgrades are 20 domestic and $100 Europe and Hawaii.

Boarding is seniority by date of hire.

We had the seniority boarding when I was at United. Hated it. Janitors relatives were getting on planes while I sat in Denver.

aa standby is first come first served. you can check in 24 hrs in advance. and it goes by check in time.

aa standby is first come first served. you can check in 24 hrs in advance. and it goes by check in time.

Incomplete answer. There are three levels of non-revs at American (D1, D2, D3).

-D1: this is a vacation pass; if the seat is empty only an "A" pass (company business) can beat you out.
-D2: this is for the employee, his or her spouse/domestic partner (it can be someone you are just dating and you declare them), dependent children and parents.
-D3: this is for anyone. Yup, anyone who knows someone can get one of these. Each employee is given 16 one way D3 passes. So if you are the child of a pilot, once you are over 21 (I believe) and no longer living at home / dependent, you are a D3 at best. Meaning someone who dealt with all of the crap of living in a family of an employee, is now less senior than somene who is banging an employee and being listed as an employee as their "partner" so to speak.

Cost: D1 and D2 is based on mileage flown, class flown, domestic or international, and years of service. D3 is based on mileage, domestic or international.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757

Incomplete answer. There are three levels of non-revs at American (D1, D2, D3).

-D1: this is a vacation pass; if the seat is empty only an "A" pass (company business) can beat you out.
-D2: this is for the employee, his or her spouse/domestic partner (it can be someone you are just dating and you declare them), dependent children and parents.
-D3: this is for anyone. Yup, anyone who knows someone can get one of these. Each employee is given 16 one way D3 passes. So if you are the child of a pilot, once you are over 21 (I believe) and no longer living at home / dependent, you are a D3 at best. Meaning someone who dealt with all of the crap of living in a family of an employee, is now less senior than somene who is banging an employee and being listed as an employee as their "partner" so to speak.

Cost: D1 and D2 is based on mileage flown, class flown, domestic or international, and years of service. D3 is based on mileage, domestic or international.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757
Also.........any non-rev traveling in one of the categories listed above can be bumped by a "through" passenger in the same category. Example: someone traveling in the highest category, D1, and starting their flight segment at DFW can be bumped by someone who started their segment at another station. They would be a D1t, which is D1 through.
I know people that have flown from a hub to an outlying station and back to the hub to begin their segment there. That put them ahead of any passengers in their category that had began their segment at the hub.

I know people that have flown from a hub to an outlying station and back to the hub to begin their segment there. That put them ahead of any passengers in their category that had began their segment at the hub.

Ah, so many ways to game the system, where do I start... The whole point of thru status was for someone not to be stranded at a midpoint. IIRC, there may have even been language in Regs or the trip book that stated you couldn't be considered a thru at your base station. I remember being asked to do a couple investigations on that in the 90's...

Thru also applies to someone starting on an ID20 and continuing as a D1/2. Not certain if it is allowed for someone who starts out on an A1/A3/A10/A11/A12....

As a x-TWA er and now AA retiree I can say that AA was light years ahead of TWA in the listing of non-revs. Certainly a more fair, transparent and equitable system here at AA.

But getting a First Class seat as a non rev, is rare nowadays.

I would say in one word forgetaboutit.

Also.........any non-rev traveling in one of the categories listed above can be bumped by a "through" passenger in the same category. Example: someone traveling in the highest category, D1, and starting their flight segment at DFW can be bumped by someone who started their segment at another station. They would be a D1t, which is D1 through.

Thanks AA89.....CRITICAL fact I left out.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757