Question about ORF

mdsbear

Advanced
Dec 30, 2004
Visit site
I sent this question into customer service about a week ago and haven't heard back. Perhaps someone on this board knows???

11/18/2005 08:27 PM I fly out of orf and have noticed several of my advance booked flights have been rescheduled. It seems like many of the jets have been replaced by RJ's. My first question is; will this trend continue; will orf turn into a RJ only airport for U? Secondly, whether the answer to the first question is yes or no, is there still a possibility of U getting RJ's with first class (mainly a more spacious seat)? I remember a release several years ago about U purchasing RJ's w/ first class (I think UA has some of them currently). With the discontinuation of the rollover provision and fewer jets leaving orf I may need to reevaluate a few things. I truly enjoy flying U and just want to know what the future holds flying out of orf. Can you give me some answers please? Respectfully,

One of Air Wisconsin's main US bases will be at ORF, so they're taking over most of the flying there. The Piedmont base at ORF will be closing, so lots of routes like PIT/LGA-ORF will be seeing Dash 8's upgraded to CRJs. Unfortunately, CLT/PHL-ORF will be seeing some mainline frequencies downgraded, partially for the Air Wisconsin reason, partially because of the 737s leaving the fleet and being replaced with CRJ-900s. It'll probably become clearer as to what the final result will look like in February or March, when all the 737s that are leaving will be gone. ORF probably does have a decent chance at getting PHX or LAS service at some point.

As for the RJs with First Class, US doesn't seem to be interested. US does have RJs that other airlines place first class in (CRJ-700/900, and the EMB-170 which isn't an RJ), but US and HP have configured them as single-class. It remains to be seen if a possible EMB-190 order would be configured for one-class or two.

The Piedmont base at ORF closed about two years ago.
Wrong Piedmont express crew base will close jan 1 2006

US Airways is giving ORF to Air Wisconsin ORF is a very profitable station this is part of the deal US cut with ZW to get the cash

Wrong Piedmont express crew base will close jan 1 2006

US Airways is giving ORF to Air Wisconsin ORF is a very profitable station this is part of the deal US cut with ZW to get the cash

Is Air Whiskey revenue sharing with US or is it a fee by departure deal?

I thought it was fee by departure, it wouldn't really matter much to Air Whiskey if the routes are profitable or not.

Air Wisonsin is 100% BETTER then Messy Mesa!

**thumbs up***
I don’t know were you have been sense November 01 but it has not been working ZW flights. A lot delays crew problems weight and balance broken planes. Better than Mesa not much. :down:

I saw that in the mid of January schedule, ORF is only down to something like 4 or 6 jets a day to CLT and all the rest are nothing but commuters. Is the new schedule accurate or are they still loading it into the computer?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I consider going from DHC-8 to CRJ a downgrade.

I'll take the Dash any day over the Montreal torture jet.

Air Wisconsin crew love ballast. They took over routes by PSA (same aircraft) and Chautauqua (ERJ). For two years i have never been asked for ballast on this segment until they took over ( and on a FULL FLIGHT)!! They are getting on my nerves. Mesa is running better by the day.

P.S We need ballast in ILM, please send us some.

As for the RJs with First Class, US doesn't seem to be interested. US does have RJs that other airlines place first class in (CRJ-700/900, and the EMB-170 which isn't an RJ), but US and HP have configured them as single-class. It remains to be seen if a possible EMB-190 order would be configured for one-class or two.

News flash for you Ringmaruf the EMB 170 is an RJ or should I say small jet. Because it falls under the Small jet restucturing agreement. But then again you people don't want to admit the original RJ's the F-28 and the DC-9-100

Man get out of the way of your own ego

News flash for you Ringmaruf the EMB 170 is an RJ or should I say small jet. Because it falls under the Small jet restucturing agreement. But then again you people don't want to admit the original RJ's the F-28 and the DC-9-100

Man get out of the way of your own ego

I don't think you need to look at it as ego. (small jet/RJ debate)

You need to look at it as what would be the better job.

Agreed, the F28/DC9-10 is the same size as todays bigger RJ's/small jets or whatever the PC term is today.

That being said, what do you feel is the better job? I'd much rather drive a 9 at say NW than a RJ at Pinnacle.

Nothing to do with ego, just better pay, work-rules, etc.

I'd rather fly the F28 with 1990 contract rates/rules at USAir then the 170 at Republic's current rates/rules.

The term RJ/small jet in managements eyes is less pay/bad work rules for the same mission of a comparable size mainline jet.

I'd have no problem flying the CRJ with the Group 4 rates (F28) from 15 years ago at USAir today. It would be a far better job then a CRJ driver at any of the Regional airlines currently.

I'd fly a kite if it paid me 300K a year!

It's not ego, who's the better pilot or any of that bs.

It's about, maximizing days off to be at home with the family and earning the living you deserve.

I think anyone driving people around in a pressurized coors light can at FL300 deserves more than 20K a year and with 10 days at home a month.

Is Air Whiskey revenue sharing with US or is it a fee by departure deal?

I thought it was fee by departure, it wouldn't really matter much to Air Whiskey if the routes are profitable or not.
They sure aren’t scare about their completion factor the way they cancel flights. I have seen some of the express carriers hold onto a flight for hours with no passengers just for completions factor