Question For Pitbull

DCAflyer

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
Pitbull (or whomever else might know this),

A friend of mine, who is on furlough, is considering employment with another carrier and they are requiring a resignation letter. I know that one of the negotiating points during the last round of givebacks was that the company was not going to accept resignation letters while people are on furlough. Did this provision make it into the final contract? If so, is it safe for my friend to assume that the resignation won't be accepted by UAIR, and flight benefits as well as recall rights won't be affected?

Please advise.

Regards,
DCAflyer

DCA-

Yes...that is part of the new agreement. Just don't broadcast it all over the place. Other airlines might catch on and be weary of hiring USAirways F/A's because of this. They will not process the resignation. Hope that helps.

I just went through the entire new agreement and I can't seem to find the section that states that. I know it was on an earlier version, but I can't find it on the one we signed.

DCA go to the AFA website and look under tenative agreement. See if you can find it, I couldn't.

5. Effective with the 2004 AFA-US Airways Agreement, the Company agrees that employees on voluntary furlough and involuntary furlough will be allowed to work other employment within the aviation industry.

It's under "OTHER ITEMS" but the full agreement is not working on the AFA Website. It only pulls up the highlights.

USAirBoyA330 said:
5. Effective with the 2004 AFA-US Airways Agreement, the Company agrees that employees on voluntary furlough and involuntary furlough will be allowed to work other employment within the aviation industry.
It's under "OTHER ITEMS" but the full agreement is not working on the AFA Website. It only pulls up the highlights.
[post="255887"][/post]​

Thanks. I saw that, but that doesn't actually answer the question. I remember seeing something where, if the other airline requires that you resign, that UAIR will not actually process the resignation... it goes into your file but you still stay on the books as a furloughed employee. That was my question.

I just finished pouring over my paper copy of the new contract. I still cannot find the section that used to say the company will not process your resignation letter. I do know that it was in one of the first counter offers AFA proposed. Unless there is another contract that AFA did not send out to all US f/a's, I believe this may have gone by the wayside.

Without the link to the COMPLETE agreement (not sure why the link is not working on the website), I can't say 100% for sure BUT I am 99% sure this went through. PitBull.....please correct me if I am wrong but I do remember this provision in the final vote.

I just went back to AFA website, clicked on "Full tenative agreement here". It is working and is the same agreement that I have in paper form and there is no section in it that says the company will not process your resignation.

Now, like I said unless there is an agreement that AFA did not send out to all US f/a's, it is not in there.

I'm sure Pitbull can clarify this when she returns to US Aviation.

Thanks for your diligence USABoy and PSA. I will look forward to PitBull's difinitive word.

Regards,
DCAflyer

700UW said:
A company cannot make you work for them, slavery is illegal.
[post="255884"][/post]​

No, but a company can insist that you cut ties with your former employer as a condition of employment. It's done all the time, and not just in the airline business.

My problem with the requirement is that some airlines require you to sign a letter of resignation from your former employer to even enter training. However, as far as I know, there is no airline that considers you an employee until you successfully complete training and are offered employment.

Even if you don't have to sign until the end of training, you still have 6 months of probation where they can release you because they don't like the way you part your hair. Yet, they've required you to eliminate your backup position.

Jim,

I was talking about US not letting someone on furlough resign, not about the future employer.

I believe that the purpose of the provision about allowing f/as to work for other carriers during a furlough was because of the other airlines "demands" that you resign. I am 99.9% sure that any resignation letter that is received from another carrier stating that you are resigning from US Airways will not be honored.

700UW said:
Jim,

I was talking about US not letting someone on furlough resign, not about the future employer.
[post="255931"][/post]​

Actually, I realized that later. Sorry. But, the upside is that the furloughees will still have an option if US Airways does not process their resignations.

I have a friend who was furloughed from AA at the same time I was. He went to work for ATA and was required to sign a letter of resignation from AA. (They came to him the night before graduation from 5 weeks of unpaid f/a training, and told him he couldn't graduate the next day unless he signed the letter.) Two weeks after he finished probation at ATA, I got my recall letter from AA which he would have also received if he had still been on the recall list. Two weeks after that ATA furloughed him with no benefits--not even travel.

O U C H ! ! ! ! See our career is nothing more than a crap shoot. That sounds like something that would happen to me. My kind of luck.

Latest posts