Questions For Bell Training Pilots

bleed air

Apr 1, 2003
All of the medium pilots in our outfit seem to be pretty comfortable with the techniques of managing rotor RPM in our 204’s and our 205A-1 during various scenarios, i.e., to maximize lift, during left pedal jams, beeping back the N2 governor while in EMERG mode to reduce throttle sensitivity, auto’s, etc.

Our 205A-1 has just been upgraded with the 212 rotor system this past winter. I’ve heard a few stories about not letting the rotor RPM decay with these blades but other than that I haven’t any experience with them.

My 1st question then is: Are the rotor RPM management techniques mentioned above no longer applicable/safe in our 205? Any other “watch-out-for’s†that we need to be aware of?

2nd question: How much right pedal input is realistic while training loss of thrust scenarios in the Bell’s?

Cheers, folks.

I have never flown a 205 with a 212 Rotor System so really can't address your question from experience on type.
Our emergency procedures allow RPM to decay to 91 % during transition to single engine flight following the loss of an engine on a 212. The a/c seems to do this comfortably. RPM is returned to 97-100 by 58 KTS.
From STIMulator training on the 212 I can say that loss of tail rotor drive always led to a full on outo with a run on at the bottom- never could make that sucker fly with any combo of power and airspeed. Fun in the sim. We do not allow full ons in the 212 or any other twin for that matter so can't say how much right pedal truly simulates a loss of thrust except to guess " a bunch".
On a risk/benifit basis I don't think a completion of a touchdown when simulating this emergecy is to be recommended. Lot of things happening very quickly at the bottom end. The cost in skid shoes alone would be high and the trail of sparks and smoke from the skids impressive.
A lot of guys on this forum will be able to provide much better info and advice - chances are there is someone who has actually experienced the real thing.
In rereading this I can see I have offered no usefull info but will post it just so you know someone reads your posts. :rolleyes:

The following info was passed on to me from a source who is really really (like absolutely, positively and no doubt about it) in the know. :lol: ;)

"The BH12 rotor is an asymmetrical airfoil and MUST be flown at 100%. Anything below that results in a decreasing lift. DO NOT FLY IT like a BH05 rotor !!!"

Voila !
Biggs :D

The 212 blades will still fly at 85% NR. Pull into a IGE hover and squeeze the throttle off until the rpm indicates around 85...you will still be flying. (but remember 2 pilots half tanks etc - you will not wreck the a/c) And will feel what the 214B boys sit in.

Now try lifting 3500 lbs and if your not at 100% NR you will not move anywhere. Beep up from 98/99 to 100 and watch the good girl lift. The 212 blades are very rpm sensitive for maximum lift performance. Very aerodynamic blade, center of lift, center of pressure etc!

The dual tach does not change when you change blades...the min 97% in a 212 has no correlation to the min 90% in a 205. Has to do with the twin engine / single engine thing, being able to maintain rpm and OEI flight, certification etc.

"single engine torque, 58kts, full beep"...all in one motion!

IF ya need more info dont be afraid to PM!

Bleed air, Sorry :eek:

Disregard the third paragraph, was getting all confused with power off limitations, while the boys were scoring a goal on TV there!!!

Here is the correct version.

Power on limitation for 205 or 212 blades is 97 to 100%. period.
With the 205 blades you are allowed to go down to 91 (yellow arc) below 30 kts. But continueous is still 97%. Thererfore the flying procedures or emergency procedures will not change from 205 to 212 blades. Old wives tale... ;)

The dual tach DOES change with the STC - with the only difference is the removal of the yello arc! The power off limitations do not change when you change the blades! :rolleyes:

Enjoy the smooth as glass flight and the entra lift at altitude, they work great at 13,000' ;)

There, much better...

One more - this is for a 205 only 212 - totally different!!!

Latest posts