ramp contract

bpsolo

Aug 11, 2004
Any news about the fleet service contract? What are we asking for and what are they willing to give? And what citys are they after NOW?

My understanding is that nothing is up for giving, but you've got to remember that this is NEGOTIATIONS, which means there must be give and take. Personally I'd expect language changes, slightly more pay, and VASTLY better work rules, including sick and over time.

They better not even waste their/our time with some POS that doesn't bring our group back much of what it has lost in the past 10 years...
Let's not forget that our top wage is in line with what it was 10 years ago, while the cost of living hasn't sat idle during this time. We can't get locked into a 5 year deal either since a lot can change in that time. A 3 year deal should be the most any work group locks in for.

Reactions: 1 person
They better not even waste their/our time with some POS that doesn't bring our group back much of what it has lost in the past 10 years...
Let's not forget that our top wage is in line with what it was 10 years ago, while the cost of living hasn't sat idle during this time. We can't get locked into a 5 year deal either since a lot can change in that time. A 3 year deal should be the most any work group locks in for.
Maybe you should be on the negotiating team for your union then. It's not about getting back to what the top wage was 10 years ago, as much as you and every other airline employe in this country would love. It's about looking at today's airline economics. If you go into a negotiating table with the position that you "deserve" to go back to 2001 wages when the going was good, you'll be severely disappointed at the outcome (and you may be anyway once a TA is put up for vote). They could give those 2001 and wages to you but then the airline wouldn't be in business very much longer.

I'm in no way praising your management as a bunch of geniuses or even employee friendly people, but the numbers tell the story as best as anyone can. They've gotten here with a financially solid airline, 6 years post merger, by cutting costs (often painfully to employees and customers) and investing in other areas. The DOT and various other statistics show positive results, which is something to be proud of. I avoided US like a plaque in the late 2000's. I'm now getting ready to pony up for Gold Preferred because I missed it by 3300 miles last year. I wouldn't have done that 5 years ago. But I'm just one example....

My understanding is that nothing is up for giving, but you've got to remember that this is NEGOTIATIONS, which means there must be give and take. Personally I'd expect language changes, slightly more pay, and VASTLY better work rules, including sick and over time.

Your joking right???

I would very much prefer some serious changes to the attendance policy, as hundreds of FSAs have lost their jobs as a direct result of this punitive and arbitrary system foisted upon the membership and without much of a fight from the IAM leadership during that time.

I tell people that do not work in the industry about the hundreds of sick hours I have acquired over the years, but then mention the attandance policy which may make it impractical or impossible to use those hours if ill. They think it is crazy to have earned the hours, but unable to use them for legitimate use in fear of being terminated.

I could have a decade of very good attendance, but one bad year of illness, car breakdowns, non-work related injury, and suddenly the company treats me like a new employee who is looking to game the system for sick time. The policy is a complete slap in the face by the Company to those workers who have put in decades of service, often times working while sick outside, and then targeted by an attendance policy designed primarily to eliminate people from the ranks.

So Rants Jester.

Reactions: 4 people
For once Jester is not RANTING. Jester has hit it right on target!
The company ignores good employees with hundreds of sick hours and they are the ones targeted!
Many junior employees placed on coachings, no exaggeration wuth 3 pages if incidents....hmmmm...keep the lower salary and target the topped out? Disparagement at its highest!
Add incentives to lower occurrences!

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe you should be on the negotiating team for your union then. It's not about getting back to what the top wage was 10 years ago, as much as you and every other airline employe in this country would love. It's about looking at today's airline economics. If you go into a negotiating table with the position that you "deserve" to go back to 2001 wages when the going was good, you'll be severely disappointed at the outcome (and you may be anyway once a TA is put up for vote). They could give those 2001 and wages to you but then the airline wouldn't be in business very much longer.

I'm in no way praising your management as a bunch of geniuses or even employee friendly people, but the numbers tell the story as best as anyone can. They've gotten here with a financially solid airline, 6 years post merger, by cutting costs (often painfully to employees and customers) and investing in other areas. The DOT and various other statistics show positive results, which is something to be proud of. I avoided US like a plaque in the late 2000's. I'm now getting ready to pony up for Gold Preferred because I missed it by 3300 miles last year. I wouldn't have done that 5 years ago. But I'm just one example....

Really, I didn't know that an "average Joe" could get in on the negotiations. I along with many others have voiced our concerns to some of those on the team, as well as going thru the motions of the IAM online survey.
I agree that today's airline economics differ from those 10 years ago, but being at the bottom of the industry in most areas isn't going to cut it any longer. We had a gun held to our heads with the last 2 POS BK contracts, and that is not the case today. I know that Parker has mentioned that our revenues are below the levels of UA & DL, but he failed to mention that our overall costs are less due to a smaller workforce among other items. You know as well as I do that most on the NC are hand picked yes men that the IAM and the company are very cozy with. Remember the fella that was dismissed from the table a few years back that wasn't "on board" with the rest of the gang?

I would very much prefer some serious changes to the attendance policy, as hundreds of FSAs have lost their jobs as a direct result of this punitive and arbitrary system foisted upon the membership and without much of a fight from the IAM leadership during that time.

I tell people that do not work in the industry about the hundreds of sick hours I have acquired over the years, but then mention the attandance policy which may make it impractical or impossible to use those hours if ill. They think it is crazy to have earned the hours, but unable to use them for legitimate use in fear of being terminated.

I could have a decade of very good attendance, but one bad year of illness, car breakdowns, non-work related injury, and suddenly the company treats me like a new employee who is looking to game the system for sick time. The policy is a complete slap in the face by the Company to those workers who have put in decades of service, often times working while sick outside, and then targeted by an attendance policy designed primarily to eliminate people from the ranks.

So Rants Jester.

Agreed 100%...

For once Jester is not RANTING. Jester has hit it right on target!
The company ignores good employees with hundreds of sick hours and they are the ones targeted!
Many junior employees placed on coachings, no exaggeration wuth 3 pages if incidents....hmmmm...keep the lower salary and target the topped out? Disparagement at its highest!
Add incentives to lower occurrences!

You & Jester have hit the nail on the head. This b/s has to stop NOW. I know of no company on the planet that treats employee's this way & our USELESS union lets it continue.

Reactions: 3 people
when you think of it the sick policy is nothing more than an enron type accounting trick ...

the company tells you that you have sick hours and their yours , but the truth is i doubt there's an account for fleet service where these monies actually get deposited to ... i'm betting that they only pay out WHEN THEY HAVE TO ... and that the objetive is to never pay out .. sort of like an insurance plan you can never use ...

I've suggested before that if the company is serious about these sick days being ours that they need to instuite a policy where if you've got at lest 2 years of sick leave banked that they let you have another week of DAT days .. and this suggestion would make sense , if the sick days were truly ours ..

Freedom,

Are you for real?

Sick hours are in a "bank" for the employees to get paid for when they are sick. When you retire you can cash them out or use them for insurance.

There is no money put aside for sick or vacation times balances.

You really need to educate yourself.

The money is paid out when they are used.

It's all about getting everything back and then some. The wages of 2001 and pensions had nothing to do with bankruptcy. the pension of this group was frozen long before bankruptcy. And the wages were only modest.
You don't know what you are talking about in regards to labor.

regards,

Reactions: 2 people
Why would you talk in such absolute terms that there must be give and take? Those are terms that are usually set aside for management when they place negotiations in the 'cost neutral' box. I can assure you in bad times that the company will throw out cost neutral mentality in a heartbeat.

In bad times, you give to keep your job and survive. In good times you take, and plenty of it since you don't know when the bad times are a coming again. Like a bear that fattens up in good times, that bear better fatten up and plenty of it if he expects to survive the bad times ahead. The problem is that in the good times, the union has not fatten up as good, so in bad times the bar keeps getting lower and lower. There is a reason why the ramp job has gone from middle class to lower middle class. And you don't get back to middle class unless there are serious takebacks.

I've seen no evidence that your company can't afford to pay industry standard wages and benefits to rampers so it's going to be 'all in' and 'all take' for Occupy 141 and it's about darmn time. Other groups on the property participate in profit sharing.....so should you. The company gave snap backs to other groups.....and it owes you snapbacks. Other groups have compensation systems in place that also includes commission for upgrades, so should rampers who should take a piece of the extra $500 million a year that bag fees bring in and priority handling. Just because people work the ramp doesn't mean that rampers should be second best to any other group.

It's time that we have a leadership that doesn't put US AIRWAYS rampers as second best. And the only way that is achievable is if we follow the recipe that builds solidarity. It's called transparency, activism, knowledge, etc. But it darn near isn't going to start if IAM 141 continues to limit the resources to US AIRWAYS rampers. Boosting up the US AIRWAYS AGC's to a level that is comparable to UA AGC per capita is a good start in making the playing field even. Unfortunately, the ND has refused to do that as Delaney has broken promise after promise.

Onward Occupy 141