Real Life After Layoff

This article is from todays issue of The New York Times. It is long but loaded with real life facts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/business...oney/26lou.html
Great article. What a tangled web we weave! All these rules and laws were instilled in the 50's and 60's to protect Amercian jobs from going overseas. Now it's like "so what"

Well the bright side is that if you had Avionics training your job set skills can go elsewhere.
Better if you had been in the military.
some people don't want to relocate either,so that's why many have a hard time looking for a job.

My friend told me about another job in another country where you get paid $26/hr and $259 a day per diem! Rent typically runs $700 and you don't need a car.So he's off doing that. He's all excited because the dollar runs far in their currency.

Ah, there is life after Northworst after all. I'm glad my MX friends all found jobs that pays $20 plus...

Great article. What a tangled web we weave! All these rules and laws were instilled in the 50's and 60's to protect Amercian jobs from going overseas. Now it's like "so what"

Well the bright side is that if you had Avionics training your job set skills can go elsewhere.
Better if you had been in the military.
some people don't want to relocate either,so that's why many have a hard time looking for a job.

My friend told me about another job in another country where you get paid $26/hr and $259 a day per diem! Rent typically runs $700 and you don't need a car.So he's off doing that. He's all excited because the dollar runs far in their currency.

Ah, there is life after Northworst after all. I'm glad my MX friends all found jobs that pays $20 plus...
Very well said! For some of us, a job is never more than a phone call away. You are definately dead on about work being available if your willing to go to it! www.aviationemployment .com is a great start, as well is www.climbto350.com For all you rotor heads out there, www.justhelicopters is a fantastic site. THERE IS WORK OUT THERE!!!!! But ya better be willing to bust ye a$$ for it!
despite miss kitty's claims to the contrary, wages in MOST sectors of aviation are on the rise. PDS, SMART, Reliance Aerotech, HQ Aero, and a host of others are all paying slightly more than they were last year. (This is an individual site and contract driven number, so actual individual results may very.....some assembly required.....batteries not included.... :p )

Very well said! For some of us, a job is never more than a phone call away. You are definately dead on about work being available if your willing to go to it! www.aviationemployment .com is a great start, as well is www.climbto350.com For all you rotor heads out there, www.justhelicopters is a fantastic site. THERE IS WORK OUT THERE!!!!! But ya better be willing to bust ye a$$ for it!
despite miss kitty's claims to the contrary, wages in MOST sectors of aviation are on the rise. PDS, SMART, Reliance Aerotech, HQ Aero, and a host of others are all paying slightly more than they were last year. (This is an individual site and contract driven number, so actual individual results may very.....some assembly required.....batteries not included.... :p )
If that's the case CSAR, why did you become a scab at a bankrupt carrier with no real future? :rolleyes:

If that's the case CSAR, why did you become a scab at a bankrupt carrier with no real future? :rolleyes:
Jeez, why cant you union guys ever do your own research! Sorry dude, just kidding. Anyway, I have on severl posts listed my reason for working for NWA. Please feel free to go back and read up on them. I wil add, however, that I dont neccessarily agree with your dire prediction regarding NWA's eminent demise. I do feel that it may get worse, and NWa may still go under, but I got a gut feeling they just might surprise everybody, and pull this off. If they do, it will be one of the greatest upsets since Lake Placid in 1980. On various other posts I have also mentioned what it would take for NWA to succeed, which you can also look up at your leisure. I will re-iterate that it will be LEADERSHIP that will make the difference, not mngmnt, not unions,and certainly not the govt. I have already spotted a handfull of people here who exibit considerable leadership potential. With proper tuterage, patience, and perserverence, these outstanding individuals should be in places that wil allow them to effect the proper changes that will need to be implemented so as to avoid repeating all the past mistakes. It will be a long uphill batle, and BOTH sides of the labor issue will have to take a long look at the way they were doing things so as they can come together on some sort of middle ground. I honestly dont see how NWA has lasted all these years with such inner departmental animosity. As Lincoln said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand"
Only time will tell....

Jeez, why cant you union guys ever do your own research! Sorry dude, just kidding. Anyway, I have on severl posts listed my reason for working for NWA. Please feel free to go back and read up on them. I wil add, however, that I dont neccessarily agree with your dire prediction regarding NWA's eminent demise. I do feel that it may get worse, and NWa may still go under, but I got a gut feeling they just might surprise everybody, and pull this off. If they do, it will be one of the greatest upsets since Lake Placid in 1980. On various other posts I have also mentioned what it would take for NWA to succeed, which you can also look up at your leisure. I will re-iterate that it will be LEADERSHIP that will make the difference, not mngmnt, not unions,and certainly not the govt. I have already spotted a handfull of people here who exibit considerable leadership potential. With proper tuterage, patience, and perserverence, these outstanding individuals should be in places that wil allow them to effect the proper changes that will need to be implemented so as to avoid repeating all the past mistakes. It will be a long uphill batle, and BOTH sides of the labor issue will have to take a long look at the way they were doing things so as they can come together on some sort of middle ground. I honestly dont see how NWA has lasted all these years with such inner departmental animosity. As Lincoln said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand"
Only time will tell....

NW survived this long because they were able to bounce numbers all over the place (thanks Bernie).
We don't got good leadership. Only one that had one was Dick A. Remeber what Dougie said when he took over?

"Our greatest asset is our employees!"

and what happened a few months later?

I loved what Dick A. did at building A when he gave the 75 th year speech....thanking all the employees for a job well done!

then next thing you know they announced a bunch of people getting laid off at that same gathering, PYOS by 5pm!!!. Priceless. Desks and chairs thrown about in BLDG A. Too bad the Tornadoes didn't hit Eagan the year before.

And WHY is it the MEDIA knows about the layoffs before the employees? That's just really sweet. Know you got laid off before you are told while eating dinner with your folks and watching TV.

There is life after NORTHWORST. I am glad my friends ALL found good paying jobs, WITHOUT SCABBING

NW survived this long because they were able to bounce numbers all over the place (thanks Bernie).
We don't got good leadership. Only one that had one was Dick A. Remeber what Dougie said when he took over?

"Our greatest asset is our employees!"

and what happened a few months later?

I loved what Dick A. did at building A when he gave the 75 th year speech....thanking all the employees for a job well done!

then next thing you know they announced a bunch of people getting laid off at that same gathering, PYOS by 5pm!!!. Priceless. Desks and chairs thrown about in BLDG A. Too bad the Tornadoes didn't hit Eagan the year before.

And WHY is it the MEDIA knows about the layoffs before the employees? That's just really sweet. Know you got laid off before you are told while eating dinner with your folks and watching TV.
There is life after NORTHWORST. I am glad my friends ALL found good paying jobs, WITHOUT SCABBING
From all I have HEARD, the past regimes at NWA were pretty brutal. I am unqualified to say more on them other than that, as I was not there, and only give half credit to anecdotal evidence. From what I have SEEN, MOST mid level guys really want to do the right thing. I do wish we had more real AVIATORS in the top offices, but I guess in todays world, thats pretty rare. Are any of the other airlines run by pilots, A and P's or Engineers? Are the days of working your way from the floor to the boardroom over? Again, maybe some from the other airlines could answer that better than I.
Perhaps some from swa can chime in here, as they seem to have pretty good relations all around.

From all I have HEARD, the past regimes at NWA were pretty brutal. I am unqualified to say more on them other than that, as I was not there, and only give half credit to anecdotal evidence. From what I have SEEN, MOST mid level guys really want to do the right thing. I do wish we had more real AVIATORS in the top offices, but I guess in todays world, thats pretty rare. Are any of the other airlines run by pilots, A and P's or Engineers? Are the days of working your way from the floor to the boardroom over? Again, maybe some from the other airlines could answer that better than I.
Perhaps some from swa can chime in here, as they seem to have pretty good relations all around.

Gordon Bethune was an A+P and a Pilot, "Fork lift" Joe over at AirTran was an engineer.

Gangreene helping destroy AMT wages and benefits for not only the airlines but for general aviation and contractors as well!

Gordon Bethune started out as a MX. Navy? but still he knows what its like.

I have to agree with ya, most people these days had mom and dad wipe thier a$$ through school so they have no idea what its like to say "may I take your order", and run big companies.

Gordon Bethune started out as a MX. Navy? but still he knows what its like.

I have to agree with ya, most people these days had mom and dad wipe thier a$$ through school so they have no idea what its like to say "may I take your order", and run big companies.
LOL princess beat me to it!

Gordon Bethune was an A+P and a Pilot, "Fork lift" Joe over at AirTran was an engineer.

Gangreene helping destroy AMT wages and benefits for not only the airlines but for general aviation and contractors as well!
I will ignore the second part of your reply as typical miss kitty litter, but I am interested in what you said about gordon bethune and this "forklift joe" could you provide more info on this? I would like to compare thier leadership styles with our current batch of legal beagle managers.

You sure you didn’t mean to say (this is a transient lowlife site and scab driven number, so actual individual results will vary….some disassembly required….batteries and Chinese tools included) ?

You sure you didn’t mean to say (this is a transient lowlife site and scab driven number, so actual individual results will vary….some disassembly required….batteries and Chinese tools included) ?
Nope, I'm pretty sure I said what I meant to say. :D

HEY wait a minute! Who ya callin',......."transient"? :up: :D :p

$41K for a 'Rotor Head' today that made $44k in '85' is quite sad.

Slave labor is endemic in the world of idiocy and lowered self esteme. Are you 'contract boyz' still fighting the 3rd world labor market?

B) UT

Latest posts