RECALL of Council 70 President! Merged Topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Well, its about time.

The membership needs to pack the meeting. You can only speak to the agenda items for this special meeting.

A motion will be made to recall the LECP, and someone needs to second the motion. Then take the vote. The vote will be tallied by those in attendance. Her buds will try to pack the room. Every member in good standing needs to be in attendance. The members can keep her in; or they can get her out.

Keep in mind, this recall will not trigger an new election, but rather have Terry Graf move up to President. Now if she is recalled, that will trigger a new election in Council 70.

For a "recall" of an officer, a reason does not have to be given according to the constitution.

IMO, Laura is not qualified to represent the members of council 70 and serves self interest above the membership.

With regard to Terry G., I don't think has the insight or foresight to represent the interest of the entire membership culture of Council 70. And I don't believe she is very stable rep that is taken seriously by management.

But that is just my opinion. Perhaps Terry has changed...but not during my experience in dealing with her in negotiations and as a VP of the base.

Perhaps this recall is necessary to put the MEC on notice that the union is the membership and their confidence in their leadership is paramount.

Well, its about time.
The membership needs to pack the meeting. You can only speak to the agenda items for this special meeting.

A motion will be made to recall the LECP, and someone needs to second the motion. Then take the vote. The vote will be tallied by those in attendance. Her buds will try to pack the room. Every member in good standing needs to be in attendance.

Keep in mind, this recall will not trigger an new election, but rather have Terry Graf move up to President. Now if she is recalled, that will trigger a new election in Council 70.

For a "recall" of an officer, a reason does not have to be given according to the constitution.

IMO, Laura is not qualified to represent the members of council 70 and serves self interest above the membership.

With regard to Terry G., I don't think has the insight or foresight to represent the interest of the entire membership culture of Council 70. And I don't believe she is very stable rep that is taken seriously by management.

But that is just my opinion. Perhaps Terry has changed...but not during my experience in dealing with her in negotiations and as a VP of the base.

Everyone has their own opinions...you are correct. ;)
But I don't think Terry and Mary Ellen can stand by any longer and let Ethic issues take down Council 70 or AFA.
It is my feeling & experience Terry G. stands up for RSV and BH a like.
But the issue on hand is with Laura A. and how she's not giving fair and equal representation to her membership.

A motion will be made to recall the LECP, and someone needs to second the motion. Then take the vote. The vote will be tallied by those in attendance. Her buds will try to pack the room. Every member in good standing needs to be in attendance. The members can keep her in; or they can get her out.

AFA Internation is trying to put the brakes on this...

AFA Internation is trying to put the brakes on this...

And why is that?

Pat F. allowed this interpretation of having two officers from a council have the ability to call a special meeting of the council for any reason. Pat again interpreted the Constitution that is cited in that letter that the 2 council officers can call a meeting. What happens when there is only two officers because the third had resigned at some point? Does it mean that if one doesn't want it and the other does, who prevails?

This situation came up last year with American Eagle who wanted to prevent their president from recalling their MECP. The AFA International President allowed the requested special meeting that the two officers called for to control the vote of their LECP. Two officers of that base called a conference call with Pat F. on that call and forced the LECP to abstain her vote on behalf of the base. That is ludicrous. But it happend. Now its come to roost at USAirways MEC.

A precendent has been set that the International created last year, and the AFA International can not now over turn to suit them; they can't do a thing about it, because American Eagle would file some kind of charge.

Its about the members and if she is recalled, its because they put her in; and can take her out.

I don't think that the interpretation of the C&B is correct, however, the interpretation has been set and the only thing to change that now for the future is an Agenda item presented at the BOD to clarify that language in the C&B.

But for now, Laura can be recalled by her two officers calling for a special meeting of the membership. My understanding is that the officers are saying that the members confidence in their representation has eroded and that the opportunity to recall the president must be given to the members.

So be it.

03 August 2006

Ms. Terry Graf
LEC Vice President AFA-CWA Council 70

Dear Terry:

I did receive the letter from yourself and LEC Secretary Mariellen Horgan dated 8/1/2006, on the subject of calling a Special Meeting per Article III.D.3.

With your letter was the letter that you sent to LEC President Laura Albert asking her to convene a Special Local Council Meeting, and that she include a Grievance Update, a Reserve Update, and Recall of the Local President on the agenda.

While it is certainly appropriate for two Local Officers to request a Special Council Meeting and stipulate the agenda, I do not believe it is appropriate for the agenda to include recall of an elected Local Officer. I have conducted a review of Articles IX.C (Recall of Local Officers), Article III.D.3 (Special Meetings), Article III.D.4 (Notice of Meetings), and Article m.D.9 (Petitions).

Additionally, my review examined Executive Board discussions as well as BOD Agenda Items and the pertinent sections of BOD Meeting transcripts relating to these Agenda Items. Finally, I reviewed some correspondence between the International Office and legal advisors on this subject.

The result of this review was that per a literal reading of these Articles of the AFA-CWA Constitution and Bylaws, this may be done.

When I consulted members of staff who have been working for AFA since the early 1980's, nobody could remember a Local Council being allowed to conduct a Local Council Meeting for the purpose of recalling a Local Officer unless a petition with signatures from 30% of the ...membership was first provided. - This is a past practice of about 25 years.

While the C&B gives the appearance that this may be done, the long standing past practice is that to call a Special Local Council Meeting for the purpose of recalling a Local Officer requires a petition with 30% of the membership signing it.

As such, while I do agree that you have the right to call a Special Meeting for the purpose of presenting the Grievance and Reserve Updates, inclusion of Recall of the Local President is not supported by the past practice.

If you are not satisfied with this interpretation, the Executive Board is the next step in the process. It would normally require an MEC President or a number of Local Presidents to submit a request for them to provide an interpretation. Beyond the Executive Board, the ultimate decision on an interpretation rests with the Board of Directors.

If you are interested in pursuing this, I would be happy to discuss the process with you. Please feel free to phone (deleted) or email (deleted) with any questions.

As you can see they are playing with the interpertation...

Here is the language from the C&B's

ARTICLE IX
RECALL OF OFFICERS

C. Local Council Officers
At a Local Council meeting, which has been called to consider, among other things, a recall, (recall requires notice in accordance with Article III.D4.) such Local Council, by a majority vote of the members present, may request the International Secretary-Treasurer of the Union to initiate and circulate a ballot among the active members in good standing of such Local Council for the removal of a Local Council Officer. Said ballot shall be mailed within fifteen (15) days of the request thereof. The International Secretary-Treasurer of the Union, upon completion of such balloting, shall certify to the Local Executive Council and the Local Council the results of such vote.

III.D.4. Notice of Meetings
a. Notice of all regular Local Council meetings shall be given by written notice as far in advance as is practicable and at least five (5) days before the time designated for such meetings, and copies of such notice shall be provided to the International Office and the Master Executive Council President. Such notice shall include the agenda for the meeting. Agenda items may be submitted to the Local Executive Council for Local Council consideration by any member in good standing for inclusion in the published agenda. Such items shall be in writing. Any agenda item may be introduced by a member at a regular Council meeting subject to Paragraph 2.b of this Section.
b. Notice of regular Local Council meetings called to consider nomination of Officers, as provided in Article VIII.C. and recall of Officers as provided in Article IX.C., shall be in receipt of the members not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the date of such meeting.
c. Notice of all special Local Council meetings shall be given as in Subparagraph a. above, except that in an emergency a special meeting may be called verbally or on less than twenty-four (24) hours notice. All notices shall include the business to be brought before such meetings, and no business other than that specified shall be transacted.

Well, Andy, you are right.

They are manipulating the language and saying that the two officers have the right to call a special meeting for anything but "recall".

I can see their point on the issue, because if you allow this, AFA will be having recalls everytime an officers is pissed off or gets elected and does not like one of the officers elected. What you would have is constant recalls and elections (costing Dues $$)from that base. They did endorse to prevent an LECP at American Eagle (Dallas last year, (I was B'ccd in all those exchanges and saw them first hand) to use her votes to recall An MEC President. The guy got recalled anyway because of the rest of the MEC, but she was forced to abstain her vote. These two local officers were very good friends of the MECP, and the one Local officer was also MEC VP, so there lies the quandry. Best buddies in office can be dangerous. Pat used that same language to permit the two officers to call a special conference call at their request using the same type of letter that Terry is.

Though I would like to see the LECP out of office because I don't believe the base is being farily represented and for many other reasons, I don't believe that two local officers should be permitted to call a special meeting or conference call unless it is in the absence of the LECP for purposes of giving information to the membership.

The other issue is keeping Terry G. in office who then would become President of that base. Though Terry can handle some union issues effectively when she is focused, I don't believe she would be an effective LECP at the MEC level as she can be manipulated by folks who have stronger personalities including management. That vote is too big in PHL and someone, one day needs to step forward in that base who is extremely focused, committed to the group on all levels and can follow through with issues, serves with intelligence and keen foresight. And specifically folks who will at least show up at the office everyday and be able to communicate to the group.

I do know that the current LECP of PHL applied for an inflight position supervisor at least twice. That type of individual you don't want representing you in such a capacity. The normal election cycle for PHL will start about this Feb. I suspect there will be numerous people running.

You guys need to clean house in that base for some change to occur which will effect change on the MEC level.

Just my opinion.

The other issue is keeping Terry G. in office who then would become President of that base. Though Terry can handle some union issues effectively when she is focused, I don't believe she would be an effective LECP at the MEC level as she can be manipulated by folks who have stronger personalities including management. That vote is too big in PHL and someone, one day needs to step forward in that base who is extremely focused, committed to the group on all levels and can follow through with issues, serves with intelligence and keen foresight. And specifically folks who will at least show up at the office everyday and be able to communicate to the group

What makes you not think Terry G. isn't intelligent or committed enough to this membership? Remember Terry & Mary Ellen are trying to do the best thing for this membership and get the one person out that's responsible for the ethic and misrepresentation to the membership.
How can an office work under a president that demonstrates this kind of work ethic?

As for AFA International all I can say is that they are scratching their heads on what to do next. Their game plan is to make Council 70 just jump through hoops and make this difficult for everyone so they just stop the recall. AND LET ME TELL YOU THIS WONT HAPPENED!

03 August 2006

Ms. Terry Graf
LEC Vice President AFA-CWA Council 70

Dear Terry:

I did receive the letter from yourself and LEC Secretary Mariellen Horgan dated 8/1/2006, on the subject of calling a Special Meeting per Article III.D.3.

With your letter was the letter that you sent to LEC President Laura Albert asking her to convene a Special Local Council Meeting, and that she include a Grievance Update, a Reserve Update, and Recall of the Local President on the agenda.

While it is certainly appropriate for two Local Officers to request a Special Council Meeting and stipulate the agenda, I do not believe it is appropriate for the agenda to include recall of an elected Local Officer. I have conducted a review of Articles IX.C (Recall of Local Officers), Article III.D.3 (Special Meetings), Article III.D.4 (Notice of Meetings), and Article m.D.9 (Petitions).

Additionally, my review examined Executive Board discussions as well as BOD Agenda Items and the pertinent sections of BOD Meeting transcripts relating to these Agenda Items. Finally, I reviewed some correspondence between the International Office and legal advisors on this subject.

The result of this review was that per a literal reading of these Articles of the AFA-CWA Constitution and Bylaws, this may be done.

When I consulted members of staff who have been working for AFA since the early 1980's, nobody could remember a Local Council being allowed to conduct a Local Council Meeting for the purpose of recalling a Local Officer unless a petition with signatures from 30% of the ...membership was first provided. - This is a past practice of about 25 years.

While the C&B gives the appearance that this may be done, the long standing past practice is that to call a Special Local Council Meeting for the purpose of recalling a Local Officer requires a petition with 30% of the membership signing it.

As such, while I do agree that you have the right to call a Special Meeting for the purpose of presenting the Grievance and Reserve Updates, inclusion of Recall of the Local President is not supported by the past practice.

If you are not satisfied with this interpretation, the Executive Board is the next step in the process. It would normally require an MEC President or a number of Local Presidents to submit a request for them to provide an interpretation. Beyond the Executive Board, the ultimate decision on an interpretation rests with the Board of Directors.

If you are interested in pursuing this, I would be happy to discuss the process with you. Please feel free to phone (deleted) or email (deleted) with any questions.

funny i got my head bit off when i first suggested this

Do believe that Terry G. should be recalled herself. She is just as much at fault. She does not even live in PHL she lives in CA. Works from her home supposedly. Some help that is when someone needs representation in PHL. The whole office needs to be recalled. So lets get the ball rolling. Where's the petition for both of them. Seems A330boy is upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.