kirkpatrick

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Long Island, NY
American to extend recall rights for former TWA flight attendants
By Tim Logan
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/01/2007 12:00:00 AM

At last, 410 ex-TWA flight attendants who lost their jobs five years ago are getting some good news.

Not their jobs back. Not yet.

But a reprieve, at least, for two months, while American Airlines, their union and Sen. Claire McCaskill try and hash out a deal that would give them and 1,050 of their colleagues a shot at flying again.

Friday, in a news conference at Lambert Field, McCaskill will announce that American will extend the recall rights of 410 laid-off flight attendants that were due to expire today. The extension will run through the end of the year, she said, buying time for all sides to keep negotiating a permanent settlement.
The airline declined to comment before McCaskill's announcement, but a source there confirmed the news.

It's the result of months of "shuttle diplomacy" between the senator, the airline and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants over the fate of some 1,460 ex-TWA attendants who lost their jobs after Sept. 11 and the company's merger, and who have been watching their five-year recall rights wind down. There was enough progress in talks between the union and the airline, McCaskill said, that American agreed to keep the group laid off on Nov. 1, 2002 on the recall list for another two months.

"It's a major step forward on American's part," McCaskill said.

She's been speaking up on the issue since her campaign for Senate in 2006, which was supported by many ex-TWA workers in Missouri. She has been working on measure to better manage airline mergers. And in July, she proposed a bill that would grant 10-year recall rights to any worker laid off after 9/11 by an airline, like American, that received federal assistance.

So far, that bill has gained little traction in Congress, but it has strong labor support and helped start conversations between American and the APFA, McCaskill said. Those led to a sit-down in her Washington office a few weeks ago with top executives from the airline and the union, and talks are continuing.

"I'm going to remain optimistic that both sides are going to do the right thing," McCaskill said. "And I am more than happy to use the pressure of my office to help these 1,400 people who've been treated very unfairly."

For the ex-TWA flight attendants, who were put at the bottom of union seniority lists in the merger with American and all lost their jobs in the waves of layoffs after 9/11, the news was most welcome.

About 1,000 have already fallen off the list and last week, 410 got letters saying they were next. Now that group has another chance.

"This is the most wonderful thing that could happen to those people," said Roger Graham, a flight attendant from St. Charles who's been leading the recall effort. "I'm at a loss for words."

Graham says his group will keep up the pressure, and push for a deal that will make the extension permanent.

While American has recalled 660 flight attendants this year, some say it's been reluctant to extend recall rights because it would rather hire younger, less-expensive attendants after the last furloughees drop off the list in July. But it is entering negotiations with the APFA on a new contract, and may be able to cut a deal on something else.

Both sides are watching the Federal Aviation Administration re-authorization bill, currently before Congress, and would like an ally in McCaskill, who sits on the Senate panel that oversees the airline industry.

[email protected] | 314-340-8291

I’m glad to see TWA people are starting to get taken care of and having a chance. :up: :up: :up:

That's all well and good, but I'm not willing to give back another dime to extend recall rights.

As if you already gave a dime...we know you'd let your mother die because you would not give another dime for her medical care. You are already giving a dime because APFA has expenses to travel to Washington and to negotiate with AA. Please write your union - APFA if it can be called a union, and tell them not to spend one dime on behalf of those rotten TWAers. Then post your letter here. We want to see it.

As a "nAAtive" I would very much like to see the recall rights extended so everyone who wishes to return may have the opportunity. The fact that AA has refused to do so out of human decency reflects poorly on the corporate culture that defines the company.

Art in Miami

American to extend recall rights for former TWA flight attendants
By Tim Logan
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/01/2007 12:00:00 AM

At last, 410 ex-TWA flight attendants who lost their jobs five years ago are getting some good news.

Not their jobs back. Not yet.

But a reprieve, at least, for two months, while American Airlines, their union and Sen. Claire McCaskill try and hash out a deal that would give them and 1,050 of their colleagues a shot at flying again.

Friday, in a news conference at Lambert Field, McCaskill will announce that American will extend the recall rights of 410 laid-off flight attendants that were due to expire today. The extension will run through the end of the year, she said, buying time for all sides to keep negotiating a permanent settlement.
The airline declined to comment before McCaskill's announcement, but a source there confirmed the news.

It's the result of months of "shuttle diplomacy" between the senator, the airline and the Association of Professional Flight Attendants over the fate of some 1,460 ex-TWA attendants who lost their jobs after Sept. 11 and the company's merger, and who have been watching their five-year recall rights wind down. There was enough progress in talks between the union and the airline, McCaskill said, that American agreed to keep the group laid off on Nov. 1, 2002 on the recall list for another two months.

"It's a major step forward on American's part," McCaskill said.

She's been speaking up on the issue since her campaign for Senate in 2006, which was supported by many ex-TWA workers in Missouri. She has been working on measure to better manage airline mergers. And in July, she proposed a bill that would grant 10-year recall rights to any worker laid off after 9/11 by an airline, like American, that received federal assistance.

So far, that bill has gained little traction in Congress, but it has strong labor support and helped start conversations between American and the APFA, McCaskill said. Those led to a sit-down in her Washington office a few weeks ago with top executives from the airline and the union, and talks are continuing.

"I'm going to remain optimistic that both sides are going to do the right thing," McCaskill said. "And I am more than happy to use the pressure of my office to help these 1,400 people who've been treated very unfairly."

For the ex-TWA flight attendants, who were put at the bottom of union seniority lists in the merger with American and all lost their jobs in the waves of layoffs after 9/11, the news was most welcome.

About 1,000 have already fallen off the list and last week, 410 got letters saying they were next. Now that group has another chance.

"This is the most wonderful thing that could happen to those people," said Roger Graham, a flight attendant from St. Charles who's been leading the recall effort. "I'm at a loss for words."

Graham says his group will keep up the pressure, and push for a deal that will make the extension permanent.

While American has recalled 660 flight attendants this year, some say it's been reluctant to extend recall rights because it would rather hire younger, less-expensive attendants after the last furloughees drop off the list in July. But it is entering negotiations with the APFA on a new contract, and may be able to cut a deal on something else.

Both sides are watching the Federal Aviation Administration re-authorization bill, currently before Congress, and would like an ally in McCaskill, who sits on the Senate panel that oversees the airline industry.

[email protected] | 314-340-8291

That's all well and good, but I'm not willing to give back another dime to extend recall rights.

This is a fight for ALL furloughed, not just the former TWA f/as. Yes, the legislative efforts have been spearheaded by the former TWA f/as BUT make no mistake this effort is for all having faced the axe from AA. These layoffs were a direct result of 9-11 and the f/as were the only group on the property not to be given extended recall provisions. Federal dollars were provided to "help" the airlines after that horrible day and all that is being asked is not to destroy the careers of hard working f/as who have "sacrificed" over $600,000,000 for the financial recovery of the company. I think extending recall is a fair trade-off. I do not believe you should have to "give up" anything for this to happen. It has already been paid for several times over. This would have been a moot issue if the APFA had not been signing LOAs giving manning assistance over the past 5 years. That being said, this is a wonderful accomplishment for the APFA, AA, and all of the hard working, behind the scenes supporters of getting people back to work. The more back, the more off reserve, less extending of trips, more PVDs, a win, win for all concerned. All AA had to do was ANNOUNCE the recall of the remaining folks and then schedule as needed. They would have a good handle on real numbers and be able to begin to gear up for hiring in the spring or summer. Once again, a win, win. There is no way anyone can make a negative out of this announcement.

This is a fight for ALL furloughed, not just the former TWA f/as. Yes, the legislative efforts have been spearheaded by the former TWA f/as BUT make no mistake this effort is for all having faced the axe from AA. These layoffs were a direct result of 9-11 and the f/as were the only group on the property not to be given extended recall provisions. Federal dollars were provided to "help" the airlines after that horrible day and all that is being asked is not to destroy the careers of hard working f/as who have "sacrificed" over $600,000,000 for the financial recovery of the company. I think extending recall is a fair trade-off. I do not believe you should have to "give up" anything for this to happen. It has already been paid for several times over. This would have been a moot issue if the APFA had not been signing LOAs giving manning assistance over the past 5 years. That being said, this is a wonderful accomplishment for the APFA, AA, and all of the hard working, behind the scenes supporters of getting people back to work. The more back, the more off reserve, less extending of trips, more PVDs, a win, win for all concerned. All AA had to do was ANNOUNCE the recall of the remaining folks and then schedule as needed. They would have a good handle on real numbers and be able to begin to gear up for hiring in the spring or summer. Once again, a win, win. There is no way anyone can make a negative out of this announcement.

Well, one elderly poster thinks we should give back more to bring them back. It is thinking like that which will EASILY turn this positive development into a negative one.

Well, one elderly poster thinks we should give back more to bring them back. It is thinking like that which will EASILY turn this positive development into a negative one.

Only if you work hard to make it a negative development which your past history here suggests will be the case.

Only if you work hard to make it a negative development which your past history here suggests will be the case.

If you keep arguing that the current flight attendants need to give more to extend recall rights, then, for sure, it will be a negative development, with or without my input. I don't believe any current AA flight attendants here would be in favor of giving more just to extend recall rights.

Deleted by moderator unnecessary comments

Glad to see that the company has decided to be a little more reasonable. Too bad it had to take a threat of Congressional action to get them to see the light. Congratulations to all those affected. Now if we could just make it retroactive for all those who have already been dropped from the list.

Glad to see that the company has decided to be a little more reasonable. Too bad it had to take a threat of Congressional action to get them to see the light. Congratulations to all those affected. Now if we could just make it retroactive for all those who have already been dropped from the list.

From your post to Arpey's pen.

AMR probably will offer retro recall since it's evidently a bargaining point now, but, as with all these things, at a price.

Considering the fact that AMR has become amenable to the idea only under the threat of Federal Congressional action, I doubt the value as a bargaining chip. Which would you rather do? Give in to the idea and appear to be a hero at the last minute. OR, dig in your heels, be forced by Congressional action to offer the recall, and be stuck with that law for the future as well, and be viewed as a stingy, sleazy b*stard by the public who has just read of your $200 million in bonusses for less than 1000 executives and managers.

If the APFA has any sense at all (a question open for discussion based on previous action/inaction) they will stress the bonusses in the media at every opportunity. It will mesh nicely in the public's mind with the CEO of Merrill Lynch who has just been fired by their BOD and is being paid $160 million in going away money as a "punishment." He got fired because he A. lost $8 billion of ML's money in the subprime market just in the last 12 months and B. he tried to sell ML to Wachovia Bank without even discussing it with the BOD first. ML's BOD reads like a who's who of NY financial, US business tycoons, and DC political stars--people who take sizable losses and behind the back machinations kinda personal.

If the APFA has any sense at all (a question open for discussion based on previous action/inaction) they will stress the bonusses in the media at every opportunity.

Agreed - that would make the execs look worse than they already do, but especially the part where there may have been congressional action involved had AMR 'dug in its heels', as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.