Regarding Usa320 Update On Cwa Negotiations

Robc98

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Ok folks...the update A320 gave about being close is a little innaccurate....remember the clauses in the latest update about allowing "unlimited mainline jets" to fly in an express city is still in there. Last week I wrote a letter to Rick Braswell and the president's of the locals....I understand there was some talk around the table regarding this letter but in my opinion not enough if any action was taken in regards to it.....Here is a copy of the letter that was read to everyone at negotiations last week....my understanding is a few of the pres's agreed with me but the larger hub ones didnt.......so read on and base your own opinion....If you agree then I suggest you get on the phone and let your Locals know...before its too late.....cuz once this passes....the changes are going to be fast and furious......

Hello Rick....Bob C. here.....just wanted to share a few thoughts with you....being in an express station for the last year and 3/4, I've been able to watch the current demise of the company with less anxiety than most agents currently working in the mainline cities. The CWA nor any other union for that matter has been able to compete with the harsh changes this company is seeking.
There intent on creating a low cost carrier is either going to happen or the company will cease to exist.
The problem I see growing at an alarming rate is the company's attempt to convert 3/4 of this airline into an "express" ..or "MDA"(should it ever come
about to its full potential) situation. The paycuts they wish to achieve along with the benefit cuts will be felt by all. My observation though is if the company succeeds in obtaining these cuts, and the "expressed" CWA agents get hit
particularly harder than they already have been, you will have created through negotiations a sorry scenario in which realistically 75pct of this company after being converted to mainline/express cities, will now have to endure the harshest cuts in the contract. Something that the CWA has no control over unless you refocus your thoughts on improving express.
The 8 or 9 cities that the company has expressed in the last 2 years has been forgotten by this union and the rest of the membership. I believe we were the scapegoats for the mainline group to maintain a 20 dollar/hr paycheck. I live approx 2hrs north of PHL and the homes in the developements in my area go
for 300-400,000 just like everywhere else. We took the 43pct cut without no one even batting an eye at the National Hdgtrs.
Now that the judge hit the mainline group with the 21pct ,everyone is up in arms and the CWA now wants to threaten with a strike. Where was the CWA when the company took my salary and the few hundred others down 43pct??.....I agree this mgmt group is way out of control and something needs to be done, but I feel
that you and the Locals from around the country need to rethink your position on trying to salvage mainline wages so high, when the pending majority of agents in this union will be "expressed" out in the next year or so (should Usair survive). Let's face it ..you know as well as I do this whole facade called Mainline is coming to an abrupt end.
These have been not only my thoughts as a Board member of 13301 for the last 6yrs..but the thoughts of everyone who I work with and the existing express cities. The company will get what they want and your only hope I believe in looking like your worth the dues we pay is getting everyone back together as one group(call it whatever u want) making similiar money and having the ability to
go back to their cities they came from.
You know its funny when I hear that just because an agent works in a hub that they deserve so much more. Well tell me who in a hub walks in to work at 5am...spends an hour in operations(which we had to learn here because ramp was farmed out) ...then goes to the gate for another 1 1/2 hr...then proceeds up to
the office to conduct administrative work for another 2 hrs then gets called back down to the tkt ctr to help assist when busy..then proceeds to the gate to help dispatch another flight etc etc.....along with worrying about doing sked
bids and covering overtime and handling day to day agent newhire problms and paxs problems because our manager only comes to AVP twice a week.......tell me
how you can sit there and say that I am worth 13.01hr plus 56 cents as a supvr....and mainline deserves 7.00 hr more............i think you can see my point.....bottom line is the CWA I believe is losing this battle and many many agents are going to suffer because the express group hasnt been given the proper consideration in these contracts....Mainline is going to shrink away and all
that will be left is a pathetic contract noone had the foresight to see what was coming..
This letter may seem self serving on my part since Im in this enviornment and chose to be.. but I have a wife who is a RN in a hospital and my yearly potential here is 35,000 yr...im not starving nor in financial trouble....but not everyone is in my situation, and as a original Bargaining council member and Eboard member since day one, I feel there is a grave mistake being made here by
not trying to incorporate everyone back together and eliminate the various classifications to allow everyone an equal shot at getting out of a hub if they want..............I know there is a lot of pressure right now and I wouldnt want your job for double my salary.........but I felt you needed to hear this and I
speak not just for myself but for many more who unknowingly will feel the sameway as I do when this is all over.........Bob C

again this letter was made known and discussed amongst the presidents in DCA...I believe this scenario will happen and its only a matter of time...the 18.60 hr rate will be enjoyed by maybe 20pct of the membership when it's all said and done.....everyone else welcome to 13.01hr......if you agree then speak up.....otherwise be prepared.........cuz it sucks...........

I agree with you, even this last proposal is complete poison. Im in Res and they want to contract us out, believe me, they may say they only want to contract out a portion, but they will find a way to contract out the whole thing.

The reps at Atento are completely clueless and can hardly speak english....wow, think of how wonderful the service would be if they did res too....

I was able to read this Excellent letter last week. I would like to see a duplicate type sent to the IAM Brass as well. Everthing in here is Very, Very True. Only those who have been subjected to the "Mainline Express Hell" can understand the true contents of this letter to the CWA. Everyone should pay very close attention to this due to the Companies plans to Express 90% of the system in the near future. Please note that 320's comments are based on a discussion with employees that would not be subjected to Express wages. He needs to get his head out of the sand and speak with agents around the system instead of those select few that will retain a decent wage as part of this proposal. But then again, he would vote for anything anyway.

CynicalResAgent said:
I agree with you, even this last proposal is complete poison. Im in Res and they want to contract us out, believe me, they may say they only want to contract out a portion, but they will find a way to contract out the whole thing.

The reps at Atento are completely clueless and can hardly speak english....wow, think of how wonderful the service would be if they did res too....
[post="199956"][/post]​

Y'all don't seem to understand the long-term plan.
Just like all of the other union represented employees
at US Airways, you are all looking at the short term.
Multi-million dollar companies like US Airways don't
plan for the short term in most cases, they look to
the long term efficiencies they can sell to the
creditors and potential exit financing companies
to get the financing that is needed to keep the
doors open.

CWA members need to face the facts. Technology
is king and will be in the future. The plan is NOT to
replace reservations personnel 100% with
outsourcing such as Atento, it is to drive customers
to the lowest cost option for booking a reservation.
Currently, that option is the US Airways web site
and the many other online travel providers such
as Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz. If the
company can eliminate enough in house
reservations personnel and shift enough customers
to the web, the savings will be enouromous and
will enable the company to make profits rather
than losses.

The naysayers on this forum will say that
customers prefer to speak with human being
to make a reservation, but in the long term,
that option will continue to be less and less
available and they will have no choice but
to use self service technology via the web.
Whether you like it or not, it is coming and
the company is committed to the long term
and either the CWA adapts, or the CWA goes
away altogether.

SpinDoc:

Your comments are accurate and the CWA leadership fully understands the issue. The parties are close to an agreement, which could be announced shortly.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

SpinDoc and A320:

Why don't you stay with your own group? Most of the CWA members that I know are ready to walk.....as in STRIKE......many can hardly wait to get to the unemployment line just to get a break they feel they have earned with all the bullshit that has been shoved down their throats as a reward for being loyal and hard-working employees.

A320:

Just because you have rubber knees doesn't mean that everyone else does. Nor do they want to. And yes I know, "Do you think I like it, no....blah blah blah"

Most of the CWA members object to the outsourcing, and loss of jobs....We have a mixed staff from DAY/SYR/IND/SAN/MCO, many of whom have moved and have less than an 86 hire date....the CWA is to represent ALL members not just those topped out...we all need our jobs protected.

Please try to stay within your work group, as I don't think you have your finger on the labor relations pulse around here.

As long as you're job is secure, with an ample amount of money in the paycheck, you should be content and keep your off the wall opinions to yourself.

These fellow employees {CWA} are going to hell and back right now, why don't you just ease up with the God almighty act....

A320 and spindoc,

Im sure glad you dont vote for my contract.
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Thanks for flying with us.

Why does the AH1 have to comment on CWA negotiations? You sold off your low seniority people, isn't that enough? Nobody outside of your group told you how to vote.

As for technology.....well, one day automation will take your job too... One day the cockpit will be manned by a pilot and a dog...the pilot will make sure the computers are working ok and the dog will be there to bite the pilot if he touches anything.....

Personally, I think it was a sad day when Mainline Express took such a cut and I think it's disgusting that I never knew much about it until I started posting on this forum. I don't see myself here much longer and hope my leave of absence is expedited by outsourcing.

Res

I don't know where you have been but the majority of the agents have been begging the union to get management to get those furlough packets out NOW! They don't want be around to see that first snowfall on the parkway. Guess you didn't hear that round of applause last night when FOX News announced 850 jobs to be outsourced to India. After yesterdays paycheck everyone was in agreement that unemployment benefits would be higher than the "new and unimproved pay". The sooner the outsourcing begins the better!

I enjoyed reading Bob's letter last week and boy how true it is. no one knows how difficult it is to live check to check, be a single parent raising a kid let alone a special needs kids and having to pay for daycare regardless of the title 20 and expect those of us in the mainline express to receice even a lowered pay check than what it is now. IT IS HIGH FLYING TIME now that the unions started to protect the ones in mainline express cities.