Regretfully leaving US Airways as a customer

J

Joshua

I''ve been a happy camper on US Airways, through thick and thin, starting with when I was working in Montreal and had my employer plunking down for full fares from home in Ohio each week, to when I was working in DC and paying to fly myself in and out of Reagan once or twice a week, to when I lived in rural Pennsylvania and needed to get away on weekends to see my friends in DC, upstate, and else- where. I now work for a company in New York City, and need to go there twice or so a month. Fares from CAK to LGA are quite reasonable.Unfortunately, I am running into these snags with US:- My employer (like most nowadays) wants to book on the cheapest fare possible, and US''s lowest fare is 40% higher than the competition. The schedules offered on the low fares are also not the best, but I''m willing to put up with them when paying a cockroach fare. However:- AirTran offers nonstop service between CAK and LGA. They offer refundable, confirmed first class fares for $225 one way. My employer would be willing to pay a bit extra for refundable/changeable fares but sees no point in paying extra to get... well, nothing, and I can''t say I do either. And, at the rock bottom fare levels ($54 one way), AirTran stills offers me a fuller choice of schedules, while US Airways offers exactly one flight per day leaving at 6:20 AM.- US Airways cut mainline to CAK, like many other midsize cities. They have one or two jet flights per day. Meanwhile AirTran has frequent nonstops to Atlanta, Orlando, and New York, including business class cabin.

Joshua,

I hope you sent this "letter" to Dave Siegel and Ben Baldanza. Infact, send a certified letter through the post as a back up. You''ve hit the nail on the head at how US is failing it''s customers, you and I. I live in PIT and I''m finding more and more of the flights I used to take to get to work are now gone or greatly diminished. BBB is "targeting" those nonfrequent flyers to entice them. He knows that since we live on US so much we are going to continue to fly them no matter what. There''s no reason to keep your best customers happy. But thankfully the frontline people do. You listening Dave?? Your "colleages" care about the customers, do you?

Next time you''re stuck in the Special Services desk line, go to the main concourse club and tell them Rob sent you!! Patty, Sharon, Kim and the other ladies take care of me so well when I''m there. I see them more than my family!!

----------------
On 6/29/2003 5:31:35 PM Joshua wrote:

- A standby fee you can''t pay at the gate is just plain silly. Fix that, or better yet, get rid of the standby fee--I was trying to take an EARLIER flight after making a connection. That is not trying to evade fare rules or make free changes.

Joshua

----------------
This is part of an antiquated system (computer and policywise) where we have to hand write certain tickets instead of having the computer print out coupons that can be used at a later time if you dont get standby. The US20 upgrades are also in this category. They have the system programmed for "certain" types of coupons to be issued with "exchange" coupons to use, but for some reason, it doesnt seem a priority to streamline all of them. Instead the agent must leave the counter, hand validate the coupons and then write them out when you should be able to type a couple of X''s in a mask and be done with it.
Also if someone makes it to the gate and wants to go standby, if they have a cc and they clear on the flight, the agent should be able to take the cc and issue the ticket. I know some cities might not do this and it is proabably actually against policy there since they have a manned special service counter, but its stupid to lose the $25 because someone doesnt want to have a sales report to drop off at night and the station doesnt have a policy for this.
These are just a couple of the "policies and procedures" that should really be looked at if US management actually wants us to survive and be profitable. $25 here and there missed because of inadequate staffing, stupid policies, or an outdated computer system are inexcuseable. And before anyone jumps on me for bashing management about this, I, as an agent employee, can not change this. The only ones who can are........

PS- I had to laugh the other day at the counter when I had a kid about 12 years old tell me his computer at home was better than mine......if he only knew the truth...

Sorry you had such a problem. Charging for standby???? You''ve got to be kidding!!! HP doesn''t charge for standby and we even tell them how the flight looks and if they might make it. Good luck U--you''re pricing yourself right out of the business and it''s no falt of the employees!!!

Joshua,

Sorry you are leaving us, you will be missed. Please do take a moment and copy Dave Siegel on why you''re leaving us. Maybe they will review some of the crazier policies that are driving our valued customers away.I''m pretty sure for everyone who takes the time to write, 100 more just leave without comment.

We want US to be the carrier of choice. The front line has worked hard to keep folks like you coming back. Please let our management know what you need and want to stay a USAirways customer. I hope they will heed your words and we can go back to being the airline we were once know for: Customer Service.

Do stop by from time to time and let us know how it is out there, what''s right, what''s not so right. Maybe in a few months, things will be better for you and you can come back!

Dea

----------------
On 6/29/2003 5:31:35 PM Joshua wrote:

Fares from CAK to LGA are quite reasonable.Unfortunately, I am running into these snags with US:- My employer (like most nowadays) wants to book on the cheapest fare possible, and US's lowest fare is 40% higher than the competition. The schedules offered on the low fares are also not the best, but I'm willing to put up with them when paying a "cockroach" fare. However:- AirTran offers nonstop service between CAK and LGA. They offer refundable, confirmed first class fares for $225 one way. My employer would be willing to pay a bit extra for refundable/changeable fares but sees no point in paying extra to get... well, nothing, and I can't say I do either. And, at the rock bottom fare levels ($54 one way), AirTran stills offers me a fuller choice of schedules, while US Airways offers exactly one flight per day leaving at 6:20 AM.- US Airways cut mainline to CAK, like many other midsize cities. They have one or two "jet" flights per day. Meanwhile AirTran has frequent nonstops to Atlanta, Orlando, and New York, including business class cabin.​

----------------
On 6/30/2003 9:52:36 AM JS wrote:

Currently NW is matching AirTran''s lowest fare although on NW it is a roundtrip fare of $108 (fine unless you really want one way).
Yes, the lowest fare on US is almost 40% more, or a whole $148 roundtrip with no restrictions other than 7 day advance. So what? Are you telling me your employer won''t pay $40 more for an airline ticket on an airline that offers corporate discounts and better frequent flyer benefits, but they''ll pay for a refundable ticket? That makes no sense.
We aren''t large enough to negotiate those kind of discounts. Yes,
I convinced my employer to let me book my own travel and spend $40
more to keep me happier. Thing is--if they were offering an un-
restricted fare at a non stratospheric price point, the value would
be enough for my employer to purchase that. Instead they encourage
the business travellers to go for the rock bottom fares. I should
add that AirTran''s FF program is getting better, too. They have an
elite program, free upgrades, and lower award redemption levels.

US offers this $148 fare on all their CAK flights, subject to availability. On the travel dates you were looking at, they must have sold out of L seats on all the flights other than the 6 AM one. The fare does not have any day/time restrictions.

Re the standby thing in PIT -- if you arrived 40 minutes before the flight to CAK on which you wanted to stand by, you must have booked the following flight to CAK. Did you arrive early?
Left LGA around 6:20 AM, scheduled to get in at 7:30. Next flight out
was at 8:35 AM. I was booked on the 9:25. I don''t know why the
8:35 AM flight didn''t show up as an option because the inventory was
wide open when I booked.

I understand completely if you want to fly AirTran instead of US between CAK and LGA. I''ve been to CAK myself on another New York-bound trip, and from the upstairs lounge I''ve watched AirTran pushback and head for LGA while I wait for my US flight to PIT. There aren''t that many people like us who don''t mind taking connecting flights, so you''re not alone if you switch.

----------------
Sorry you are leaving us, you will be missed. Please do take a moment and copy Dave Siegel on why you''re leaving us. Maybe they will review some of the crazier policies that are driving our valued customers away.I''m pretty sure for everyone who takes the time to write, 100 more just leave without comment.

I sent it to Customer Relations.
Are letters being sent to customer relations getting read? I last
mailed in some concerns in 2001 (and have had no complaints with
US Airways since then, until now) and never got a reply, but those
were different times.

We want US to be the carrier of choice. The front line has worked hard to keep folks like you coming back. Please let our management know what you need and want to stay a USAirways customer. I hope they will heed your words and we can go back to being the airline we were once know for: Customer Service.

Yes, I''ve noticed a difference in the front line employees
(especially when I find myself stuck on another airline. Some of
their service people seem very unhappy with their jobs.) It is
encouraging and a shame there is no way to convince corporate to
listen to you more about what''s driving the high yield passengers
away in droves.

Do stop by from time to time and let us know how it is out there, what''s right, what''s not so right. Maybe in a few months, things will be better for you and you can come back!

Dea
----------------​
Will be doing--this experience was out of the ordinary. I''ll be
"experiencing" again in a week, although I don''t expect the standby
situation to change (and yes I am stuck on the same flights).

Correction to my earlier post: AirTran''s one way refundable first class fare is $173 with taxes, not $225.

Amazing to me that US has not discovered an "urgent need" to serve CAK-LGA nonstop which "just happened" to coincide with AirTran''s startup of service on the route.

My .02 worth? Go with the airline that is the only reason you aren''t being mercilessly gouged by the would-be-if-they-could-be cartel airlines, including your beloved US. If/when FL withdraws from the market due to pax sticking with the cartel, you will again be stuck with choosing between fares in the stratosphere or making far less convenient travel arrangements to find reasonable fares.

The only way in which the cartel airlines seem to somewhat "get the message" (after exhausting all of their typical lame excuses) that something is wrong with their picture is precipitous declines in passenger numbers -- which happens one passenger at a time.

Even then, as long as Siegel & associates (like their cohorts at NW, DL, et al) can continue to "budget" unconscionable bonuses for themselves while keeping employees under their thumbs, it may well be that US could care less if their CAK-LGA pax numbers plummet.

I wouldn't worry about it, Tango-Bravo. I don't think there are that many people that will stick with a major airline on a connection rather than a discount airline non-stop.

For some reason, US has chosen not to start operating LGA-CAK non-stop (thank goodness they didn't or CAK might turn into another TOL). If US did, then I would be worried that AirTran pulls out (similar to LGA-PIT, remember that?)

AirTran has been flying LGA-PHF for a while, and US hasn't copied it, so I think they will do fine at CAK. I have taken AirTran on the LGA-PHF route, and it was nice. But I will admit to relapsing to my old addictions when I have the time to connect en route.

Dave and the boys- don''t care..Bottom line they don''t care..

If one leaves,another psgr will be picked up..And yes the front line employees are not happy..

No further comment.

I rest my case..

I'm sure it's from his secy in charge.

Employees from my station have sent complaints in and they could not get passed his secy...

I wonder why??????????????????

Josh, I personally sent your post to Dave Siegel.I received confirmation that it was received from his office. Lets just hope he starts listening to the people who pay the bills!

Latest posts