Religion in Politics

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
From the looks of this articl, the Dems are selling out and some of the Reps are running scared because their beliefs are running against the core values of the religious right.

It strikes me as odd that two of the top Reps (Guiliani and Romney) want to put the geni that their party let loose back in the bottle and now the Dems are looking to take advantage of it.

If this is not a bizzar change of order I don't know what is.

Religion and Politics

Democrats in general are targeting moderate Roman Catholics, mainline Protestants and even evangelicals, hoping to enlist enough voters for whom religious and moral issues are a priority to put together a winning coalition.

and

Some top-tier Republican candidates, the natural heirs to conservative religious support, are finding the issue awkward to handle.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has been questioned so much about his Mormon faith -- 46 percent of those polled by Gallup in March had a negative opinion of the religion -- that he has taken to emphasizing that he is running for a secular office.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Catholic who says he gave serious consideration as a young man to becoming a priest, is fending off critics who say he should be denied the sacrament of communion because he supports abortion rights.

I love this quote

Religion has become such a common element of presidential politics that during the first televised debate among the 2008 Republican candidates, a reporter asked if any did not believe in evolution -- three Republicans raised their hands: Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo.

Brownback/Huckabee/Tancredo ??

JESUS, ...talk about the 3 STOOGES :blink: :blink:

Hey, if all else fails.....Maybe the gop can Dig up/Prop up/Inflate and get on the ballot(in time)...SPIRO AGNEW !!!

NH/BB's

HILLARY/08

Is it in fact 'religion' in politics or the religion that is paying the most?

Get your 'Habib' out because the 'religion' of peace is the courted religion $$$ today... :p

B) UT

I don't see money as being an issue. At least I had not read anything about it. Yes, religious companies are makeing donations to various political hacks but I do not see them as a lobby like lets say, oil companies, or auto manufactures. Looks to me like the poitical hacks are courting the religion companies just as much as te other way aound.

OK upon re-reading what I just wrote. I guess the religion companies are the same as any other business that loby the political hacks.

I don't see money as being an issue. At least I had not read anything about it. Yes, religious companies are makeing donations to various political hacks but I do not see them as a lobby like lets say, oil companies, or auto manufactures. Looks to me like the poitical hacks are courting the religion companies just as much as te other way aound.

OK upon re-reading what I just wrote. I guess the religion companies are the same as any other business that loby the political hacks.

Yes, I understand why you do not see the parallism with the growth of Islam and $$$.
Because you haven't looked. (Have you?)

One joke we had in SA was mix a Sudanese with Saudi $$$ and you have a perfect Muslim. :p

JMHO,
B) UT

You were right about a bizarre change of order. Today, Obama addressed an Evangelical megachurch.

I say why not... his rhetoric -- even during his early days as a member of the great state of Illinois' Senate -- has been chopped full of biblical references of hope, faith, and responsibility.

Obama will speak to the Redemption World Outreach Center, which describes itself as "a Spirit-filled Church, characterized by dynamic worship, supernatural miracles, and relevant ministry for all ages … reaching people from all walks of life." Obama's campaign calls the appearance "an opportunity for the Senator to have a morning of fellowship with South Carolinians...

But Obama's visit here is not surprising given his campaign's recent efforts in South Carolina to reach out to Christian voters, including the state's large African-American population that makes up an estimated 50 percent of Democratic primary voters. The state campaign is in the midst of promoting Obama's values through a grassroots effort called "40 Days of Faith and Family," which is reaching out to primary voters through gospel concerts and a series of faith forums.

I wonder if it "were" SPIRITUALITY in politics, if the "battle lines" would still be so(clearly) drawn ?

I think Not.

The Only thing that , every organized "religion" believe's in, Is that there is a "Higher Power"

THAT ALONE should make things(for the vast majority of us) very simple and clear !!!!

Trust me,
It's NOT rocket Science !!

Yes, I understand why you do not see the parallism with the growth of Islam and $$$.
Because you haven't looked. (Have you?)

One joke we had in SA was mix a Sudanese with Saudi $$$ and you have a perfect Muslim. :p

JMHO,
B) UT

You know.....Sharia law may be good for the USA in the long run......wasn't it Ahminejad who said they have no issues in Iran with homosexuality? :lol:

I couldn't agree more: Obama: GOP doesn't own faith issue

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the '90s," said Obama. "At least in politics, the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that oftentimes seemed intolerant or pushed people away."

They attempt to play the religion card.....but they have no soul.For the most part ,their side is on record for throwing God under the bus,catering to homosexuality,soft on violent crime....an abomination if you ask me.

They attempt to play the religion card.....but they have no soul.For the most part ,their side is on record for throwing God under the bus,catering to homosexuality,soft on violent crime....an abomination if you ask me.

I believe in other circles it is called tolerance.

The rights version of religion is fire and brimstone. Main stream people tend to shy away from crackpots that espouse that.

And on the other side, you often see those playing the God card, living a pretend holier-than-thou lifestyle... but in reality, many are no better than the Pharisees that Christ condemns.

Pick your poison.

They're playing to a voting group...thats it.Some campaign advisor is telling them what direction to go,what voting block to appeal to.Phony's.

My God's better than your God

A person isn't any less religious just because they don't believe every word of the bible. If we had to stick to every word of the bible, Red Lobster wouldn't be in business, capital punishment wouldn't exist, and we would still have slavery.

Latest posts