Remainder Of Rj Flying Will Go Contract

PropPiedmont

Senior
Dec 10, 2003
USA320pilot,

US Air will not be operating any RJ's on their own any time soon. That's right no 170s, no 190s, no 200s, no 700s, no 705s, and no 900s. None. PSA jet orders are soon to come to a grinding halt, leaving ALL PSA pilots jobless. MDA will never leave the ground as long as it is a Wholly Owned airline.

Check out the January 5, 2004 Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine. You'll find an article in there about Mesa and ACA. In that article Ornstein makes a comment about the 55 CRJ-700s that he will soon be flying for US Airways, he also makes it known that US Air signed this agreement with Mesa to operate these aircraft last June.

I am not an Ornstein supporter nor am I a supporter of contract carriers. I will most likely be losing my job shortly and can only pray that Mesa will not buy us.

Bottom line is that the aircraft will go to the lowest bidder, regardless of those little white and blue ALPA contracts. Being part of the US Airways group I know that US Air/Piedmont/Allegheny pilots will not fly for peanuts, therefore we cannot economical operate the airplanes when compared to TSA, Chat., Mesa, Colgan, Shuttle America, or Air Midwest.

Respectfully,

PropPiedmont

Light,

Fact: ALPA is negotiating on allowing more RJ's to go to affiliates.

Speculation: What the result of the negotiations will be.

Jim

PS - my guess is that the speculation might not be that far off.

If they give the Embraer 170s to affiliates over MAA, the 190s and 195s would follow. I would rather see US Airways shut down than have them set an industry standard of giving 70-120 seat flying to "regional affiliates". :angry:

It would't surprise me though. Sacrifice the juniors and future of the profession to preseve a couple thousand senior jobs... doesn't matter what happens after they are gone.

Well, US needs the EMB-170s badly! But, financing may be a problem. Better to have them in the network than not at all. Also, I still think US-UA should deepen their relationship and change all US Airways Express/United Express planes to a "Star Connection" livery. Then, you can route the turboprops/RJs across both airlines' networks instead of just one. (Ok, so it may not work, but I'm trying to think outside the box. :rolleyes:)

USFlyer,

For what it's worth here's my two cents...

The common livery is not a bad idea - though from an employee standpoint it is possible to use that to move flying around to the detriment of one "mainline" carrier or another.

Just looking at the specs on the E-170 (haven't even seen a "live" one), it appears that it will be slightly more comfortable than a CRJ. The cross section isn't much wider and most/all of the extra width is at shoulder height (Embraer's "double-bubble" concept). If you're in the window seat, your shoulder won't be rubbing the sidewall.

It's still going to be a higher CASM plane than mainline - how much is the only question. We need to be doing things to bring down the CASM, not the other way around.

Jim

Hot off the presses - Mesa raising money for ....

PHOENIX, Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Mesa Air Group, Inc.
(Nasdaq: MESA), today announced its intention to sell, subject to market and
other conditions, $100 million issue price of Convertible Notes due 2024, to
qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act
of 1933 (the "Securities Act"). The interest rate, conversion rights
(including the terms upon which the notes will be convertible into Mesa Air
Group common stock) and offering price are to be determined by negotiations
between Mesa Air Group and the initial purchasers of the notes. Mesa Air
Group plans to use the net proceeds from the offering for general corporate
purposes and to fund obligations with respect to future regional jet
deliveries.

PropPiedmont said:
MDA will never leave the ground as long as it is a Wholly Owned airline.
MidAtlantic is NOT a wholly owned....it is a division of mainline holding the same certificate and YES it will be off the ground. In fact a team is going down in a week to accept the aircraft. It will be brought to FLL somewhere around the end of the month. 27th I believe. This is nothing but speculation on your part. You are entitled to your "theories", but factual information is all anyone needs to hear right now.

Well, actually MDA is a little of both. From a FAA operating certificate standpoint it is a division of mainline. From at least the pilots standpoint, it is like a W/O with separate contract and being a "new hire" regardless of the time spent at mainline.

As long as the financing stays in place, my guess is that MDA will stay where it is (mainline or semi-mainline). However, if the financing evaporates my guess is it won't take long for the company to want scope relief to move the 170's to an affiliate.

Jim

Light,

If you're talking about the press release I posted, they're selling convertible notes to finance general corporate uses & future RJ deliveries.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Well, actually MDA is a little of both. From a FAA operating certificate standpoint it is a division of mainline. From at least the pilots standpoint, it is like a W/O with separate contract and being a "new hire" regardless of the time spent at mainline.

Jim
" According to the pilots, it's like a....." What it is and what it is "like" is not relevant. According to the FAA it is the same company. The inner workings like contract, labor, and anything else are of no meaning to the FAA.
It really doesn't matter what we think we "are like". We are a division of US Airways mainline and probably will be for some time to come.

As for the financing, you are correct that if that doesn't get stabilize we can fall apart. MidAtlantic is the key to US Airways survival (according to Dave), so if MAA falls apart...unfortunately so will US Airways.

The plane is built. It is painted and ready for OUR approval. The Inflight team is leaving for Brazil on the 16th to sign all the final papers and within the next 2 weeks it will be on U.S. soil. In fact there are a few planes. Training IS to commence the first Monday in March.

Now that is NOT theory that is FACT.