Republic Airlines J4j

Chuck

Oct 26, 2002
It has been reported that Republic Airlines, a division of Chautauqua Airlines or vice versa, does not participate in J4J while Chautauqua does participate in J4J.
I seem to remember that the latest agreement between the Teamsters and the Chautauqua pilots provides Chautauqua pilots with the opportunity to bid into the Republic system which will have their headquaters in Louisville. I thought the reason for the holding company creating Republic would be to accomodate growth in the USAirways Express arena which could not be accomodated at Chautauqua.
What's the deal here? Does anybody know the real story? Will furloughed mainline pilots be allowed to gain employment with Republic? My wife is a furloughed mainline pilot and we live in the Louisville area, hence the interest. :blink:

It seems as if Chautauqua pilots are going to get the positions at Republic. I don't see how this works for Republic being a J4J carrier unless Chautauqua is a J4J carrier. What is more confusing is Republic is solely flying as US Airways Express, while Chautauqua is flying for various companies. :blink:

Either way here is an article that puts more light on the subject. Or maybe confuses it further.

Chuck said:
It has been reported that Republic Airlines, a division of Chautauqua Airlines or vice versa, does not participate in J4J while Chautauqua does participate in J4J.
I seem to remember that the latest agreement between the Teamsters and the Chautauqua pilots provides Chautauqua pilots with the opportunity to bid into the Republic system which will have their headquaters in Louisville. I thought the reason for the holding company creating Republic would be to accomodate growth in the USAirways Express arena which could not be accomodated at Chautauqua.
What's the deal here? Does anybody know the real story? Will furloughed mainline pilots be allowed to gain employment with Republic? My wife is a furloughed mainline pilot and we live in the Louisville area, hence the interest. :blink:
Republic exists soley because of "jetsforjobs". The CHQ pilotssaid NO to the mainline pilots extortion. Bedford started up Republic to get around the CHQ pilots desire to not give mainline pilots super-seniority. The CHQ pilots then had to buy back scope to include Republic. Thanks ALPA.

LETTER OF AGREEMENT

Between

US AIRWAYS, INC.

and

THE AIRLINE PILOTS

in the service of

US AIRWAYS, INC.

as represented by

THE AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL

ACCELERATED SMALL JETS - LOA 83

THIS LETTER OF AGREEMENT is made and entered into in accordance with Title II of the Railway Labor Act, as amended, by and between US Airways, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Companyâ€) and the Airline Pilots in the service of US Airways, Inc. as represented by the Air Line Pilots Association (hereinafter referred to as the “Associationâ€).

WHEREAS the Company has identified opportunities to introduce Small Jets into the US Airways system that would generate accelerated revenue for the Company and accelerated Jets for Jobs for the US Airways pilots, and

WHEREAS these accelerated Small Jets would be financed and operated by Participating Affiliate Carriers, and

WHEREAS the operation of such Small Jets in the US Airways Express system would require certain modifications to the scope provisions of the Restructuring Agreement dated July 1, 2002,

NOW THEREFORE the parties mutually agree as follows:

E. Up to 12 “Medium SJs†currently being operated by Chautauqua Airlines under another carrier’s code may be placed into revenue service by Chautauqua Airlines under the US Airways code, without immediately complying with the Filling of Vacancies provision of Attachment B-3 of the Restructuring Agreement, provided that such “Medium SJs†are placed into revenue operation under the US Airways code by February 29, 2004. For each of the “Medium SJs†specified in the foregoing sentence that is placed into revenue operation by Chautauqua Airlines under the US Airways code no later than such date in 2004, Chautauqua Airlines or Republic Airlines must also place into revenue service at least the same number of additional “Medium SJsâ€, no later than February 28, 2005 and each such additional “Medium SJ†must be staffed entirely with pilots from the APL, provided however, that no aircraft will be placed into revenue service for Republic Airlines under the US Airways code except with the approval of the Association.

If the Filling of Vacancies 50% requirement (by the balance between the Medium SJs specified in the first sentence and the Medium SJs specified in the second sentence of this paragraph E.) is not achieved by February 28, 2005, the Company must either discontinue use of the number of code share aircraft or terminate the contract with Republic or Chautauqua Airlines as required to maintain the Filling of Vacancies 50% requirement.

Regards,

Chip

Chip Munn said:
LETTER OF AGREEMENT

Between

US AIRWAYS, INC.

and

THE AIRLINE PILOTS

in the service of

US AIRWAYS, INC.

as represented by

THE AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL

ACCELERATED SMALL JETS - LOA 83

THIS LETTER OF AGREEMENT is made and entered into in accordance with Title II of the Railway Labor Act, as amended, by and between US Airways, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as the “Companyâ€) and the Airline Pilots in the service of US Airways, Inc. as represented by the Air Line Pilots Association (hereinafter referred to as the “Associationâ€).

WHEREAS the Company has identified opportunities to introduce Small Jets into the US Airways system that would generate accelerated revenue for the Company and accelerated Jets for Jobs for the US Airways pilots, and

WHEREAS these accelerated Small Jets would be financed and operated by Participating Affiliate Carriers, and

WHEREAS the operation of such Small Jets in the US Airways Express system would require certain modifications to the scope provisions of the Restructuring Agreement dated July 1, 2002,

NOW THEREFORE the parties mutually agree as follows:

E. Up to 12 “Medium SJs†currently being operated by Chautauqua Airlines under another carrier’s code may be placed into revenue service by Chautauqua Airlines under the US Airways code, without immediately complying with the Filling of Vacancies provision of Attachment B-3 of the Restructuring Agreement, provided that such “Medium SJs†are placed into revenue operation under the US Airways code by February 29, 2004. For each of the “Medium SJs†specified in the foregoing sentence that is placed into revenue operation by Chautauqua Airlines under the US Airways code no later than such date in 2004, Chautauqua Airlines or Republic Airlines must also place into revenue service at least the same number of additional “Medium SJsâ€, no later than February 28, 2005 and each such additional “Medium SJ†must be staffed entirely with pilots from the APL, provided however, that no aircraft will be placed into revenue service for Republic Airlines under the US Airways code except with the approval of the Association.

If the Filling of Vacancies 50% requirement (by the balance between the Medium SJs specified in the first sentence and the Medium SJs specified in the second sentence of this paragraph E.) is not achieved by February 28, 2005, the Company must either discontinue use of the number of code share aircraft or terminate the contract with Republic or Chautauqua Airlines as required to maintain the Filling of Vacancies 50% requirement.

Regards,

Chip
Exactly Chip. ALPA does not care if it results in more alter-ego carriers. All they care about is placing mainline pilots at other carriers with super-seniority! The ALG and PDT pilots are following the ASA and CMR pilots by suing ALPA. The Eagle pilots are bidding for 100 seat flying on the AMR property. I hope ALPA enjoys the monster it has created - ENJOY!

Karen Adams from the PIT Chief Pilot's office says that no furloughed pilots are being offered jobs at Republic. Something doesn't sound quite right since the whole idea of Republic was to accomodate J4J's. Chautaqua on the other hand does participate in J4J's??? Republic is starting up in the NOV/DEC time frame flying old mainline routes SDF-DCA and SDF-LGA with EMB-145's.

Chip:
Am I reading this right? If Rupublic get 12 ERJ's by Feb. 29 2004 (flown by Chautaqua pilots) then Rupublic needs to have at least 12 ERJ's manned by mainline pilots NLT Feb. 28 2005. Or is it 50% of the seats after the inital 12?

You may have a while to wait yet Chuck if the earliest mainline pilots are required in Republic is 28 Feb. 2005. That is IF Rupublic/Chautaqua live up to that portion of LOA 83. From the article I posted earlier it does not sound as if Chautaqua is giving up those seats anytime soon.

This could get real ugly with one company owning two companies competing for the same jobs. <_<

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I read it, Chautauqua/Republic may staff up to 12 RJ's without any mainline pilots until 29 FEB 04. After that date, the company has one year to staff the same number of RJ's with mainline pilots only.
They must be at the 50% level by 28 FEB 05 or they may no longer operate as a USAirways Express carrier. The twist is the contract with the Teamsters which allows Chautauqua pilots the opportunity to fly for Republic. This could get interesting since Chautauqua is presently participating in J4J's. Will the ratio be applied to both Chautauqua/Republic collectively or would the 50% rule apply to both individually as well. ALPA vs. Teamsters, hmm, how many rounds will this one go before the ALF-CIO gets involved?

(laugh)

Yeah. Good ol' ALPO is probably realizing yet ANOTHER mistake they made with respect to their anti-regional attitudes.

In 1995 (or was it 94?) a little carrier operating newly acquired Jetstream 3100s and a few Saab 340's petitioned ALPA for membership.

ALPA offered no assistance. The crewroom rumor was that Chautauqua was too small at the time (a little under 200 pilots) to waste valuable ALPA resources.

The Teamsters, however, had no such prejudices.

Now Chautauqua is an all-jet airline providing feed for 4 different major carriers with...what, about 700 pilots now?

:down: