Republic/chaquanda (whatever)

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Ok, I'm not trying to start a debate about church and state, but look at Republic/CHQ's vomit inducing "vision"... yuck.

Is the CEO a Bible beater or what? Maybe he should pay his employees a livable wage, and stop stealing other people's higher paying jobs if being God-like is such a high concern.

Who We Are

If some of those F/As are the image of God, then God needs to hit the gym and lay off the $3 CVS hair dye... pardon my sassiness. :ph34r:

Please don't move this to the Regional forum as US is basically selling out all of the domestic flying to this airline.

Light Years said:
Ok, I'm not trying to start a debate about church and state, but look at Republic/CHQ's vomit inducing "vision"... yuck.

[post="278362"][/post]​

And this is bad, how? At least they make it clear management cares about the individuals who work there, unlike the Crystal Palace (not to be confused with the Crystal Cathedral on the left coast).

I don't feel a company needs to put God in it's corporate vision, and many would agree. Would you feel differently if it read "in the image of Allah" or "in the image of Buddah"?

it's rare to see biblical language balanced positively with committments to diversity...so, my sense, solely based on reading the statement provided by the link, is that either: a) they are tolerant fundamentalists; or, B) enlightened literalists...
but, to be sure, the inclusion of the Divine in a company's mission statement is precarious at best...theological manipulation of the marketplace, i guess...

I understand what your saying Bob, but don't you think it just reeks of hypocrisy? If one was truly so accepting of diversity, they wouldn't feel a need to include God in business, knowing that not everyone believes in thier form of God or in one at all. It just reads like "We love God and even pray for those who don't."

I just feel that if one is acting truly "God-like", in all the tolerance, fairness, and bringing good to the world it should imply, they wouldn't have to say it.

I agree about the infidelity. I have a hard time trusting someone who is not faithful to thier other half, married or otherwise. I also have a hard time following someone who has an agenda based on religious views, the number one most contentious and dangerous issue, well, ever.

Unlike US, at least CHQ has a mission statement...and one that seems dedicated to its employees.

I just think in business it's best to keep religious views out of the picture, considering organized religion, particularly attempts to force religion on people, is the number one reason for war and bloodshed througout world history. Unless Chautauqua doesn't operate on Sunday, doesn't wear polyester cotton blend uniforms and other such abominations, maybe they should just leave thier views on God out of it. Corporations and money are false idols in pretty much any name brand religion, so there's just no place for it in a country that supposedly values seperation of church and state.

Again, appreciation of diversity does not need to be proclaimed, it should just show in your actions. Tolerance is not a word I would ever use for another human being. Tolerating something is stopping yourself from doing an action against something.. It's better to love and understand than "tolerate". Most religions would agree with that in thier basic beliefs, just not in thier organized, political incarnations.

I don't really want to get into abortion or homosexuality (?), because I think we've covered both before if I recall correctly (yes folks, us old timer usaviation folks have discussed a plethora of issues over the years, haven't we Bob? :) ), but being as you are neither a woman or a gay person, one would only hope you or others wouldn't "interfere" with other people unlike yourself. I don't think the CHQ mission statement is making any sort of political statement about either of these things (unless I missed something? I'm not sure why they came up :unsure: ). It does, however, make a non-secular one, which I find interesting, and frankly, off-putting. I believe "diverse" applicants- religious minorities and such- would feel the same way. So the rich irony of the mission statement is that it accomplishes the exact oppposite of what it pledges. Which is likely the point.

A person's spirituality is deeply personal, and something they come to on thier own, not something they need to be given. Workplaces have enough divisive issues- work conditions, management and employee conduct, labor relations etc- why add another explosive issue by foisting your version of God onto unwilling individuals?

I have to say LY, very well said. I do agree with you. One should not add God into the business thing. Religion is a touchy subject..everyone has different veiws on it. It does look kinda funny (the link you put up) with the word god in it....kinda like they are preachin to ya in a "between the lines" kinda way....Just my 2 cents..

Peculiar opener to a Mission Statement indeed, no matter what your viewpoint.

I have to say though that when I heard that lowball airlines was to get it's grubby young hands on the E170s, my first thought was 'HolY S**T'. 'Oh, Dear God, No' was next. I finally concluded with 'Lord help us all'. :blink:

If their employees truly are the image and likeness of God, who knew that God was a 23 year old Flight-Instructor-turned-Mighty-Jet-Captain-overnight pouting in all his glory while thinking of stapling the MDA seniority list to the bottom of his list of God like airline Deities. :shock:

God blesses Wexford, Republic and Chautauqua apparently.

God help the rest of us if that's the case. :up:

interesting discussion.

While the implication of the original posting is that a person's faith (including that of an organization) should be kept quiet, that is neither the spirit or the law of this land, either historically or at present. The founding fathers of this country believed that faith should be influential in the life of society and be an agent for changing it. In fact, the Puritan mindset which shaped American government had as its core Jesus Christ's teaching that a city on a hill should be influential to the world around it. Ronald Reagan was, of course, the most recent prominent American who deeply believed in that vision and was guided by it.

Lest you think that such teachings or beliefs are outdated or have no business in public, you might consider that the people of the US for many decades in the middle of the 20th century used its wealth and to not only spread Christianity but also to share deeply with the rest of world. Are you aware that the US in the post-WW II era spent more than 2.5% of the nation's total spending for relief and aid to the poor and destitute around the world, including rebuilding Europe? Foreign aid now constitutes less that 1/10 of that percentage and several other countries are now giving higher percentages of their resources to care for the needs of the world.

Lest you think I am off on a tangeant, the greatness of the American dream is that our national pursuit of wealth has been accompanied by a willingness to give of that wealth for others. When we stop being motivated by values that are bigger than accumulating wealth for ourselves, we will fail as a nation. There are already many dangerous signs about America's excessive focus on building comfort for ourselves at the expense of people in the rest of the world and with no regard for their needs. If you trace the history of civilizations, you will find that the decline of every society has begun with an excessive focus on protecting comforts of the members of that civilization while failing to produce and become an agent of change in society.

You might also be interested in knowing that more and more Muslims are now becoming much more interested in giving away their wealth because they see that giving money away and caring for others provides an opportunity to share one's faith.

Finally, I have no problem with a company proclaiming its values, whether they be religious or not. It tells me alot about the company and provides a yardstick upon which to measure their performance. However, be careful about reading more into what they say about themselves. While Piney Bob is probably right, his assumptions are likey conjecture.

And whether you like Republic's values or not and whether you believe they are properly practicing their values, you should never forget that Republic is making money and has become the dominant EMB 170 operator among contract carriers. I have to look twice at what motivates anyone that can succeed at what they do, which is exactly the case of Republic.

I agree with Light Years in that one's religious belief should be demonstrated in their behavior and not placed in a corporate mission statement. Let's face it, after reading it I have mixed emotions, some positive that they proclaim their committment to diversity and some trepidation that I would have to be careful as it is obvious that I would be working in a company with a religious framework and I can not be sure exactly which denomination so that leaves me with a problem.

Hey, wasn't Alanis Morrisette one person's image of God?

Speaking of being careful, found it interesting that Piney Bob would never interfere with an abortion clinic (tolerance) and would never "strike" (control a violent impulse) someone because of their sexual prference.

Love ya' Bob but..............

I must say I enjoyed WorldTraveler's response. Also, and this is honestly not directed at anyone in particular.....please use caution when making what could be viewed as insulting remarks. Believe it or not, more than one person at Republic does not want to see a staple of the Mid-Atlantic folks and certain comments could sway your "insider cheerleaders" in another direction. Times may be tough right now, but try to be friendly as it certainly won't hurt your cause later on.