Republic Pilot Classes?

Swaayze

Advanced
Sep 5, 2002
Since I no longer have easy access to any ALPA information (webboards, furlough admin emails, etc) regarding the upcoming Republic classes I have some questions.

Primarily this: I am on the APL and was kinda holding out for MidAtlantic, although I was planning to consider CHQ if any C/O slots came up there as well. What is the (real, inside) lowdown on the MidAtlantic pilots and their stance on the Republic deal? I do not want to undermine their efforts at leveraging a fair deal, but I would otherwise consider going as a Captain if the opportunity presents. What is the proper action for a non-MAA pilot on the APL who might be interested in these positions? Would one be considered equal to those at GoJet or Freedom or is it fair game if the MAA folks bypass?

Any MidAtlantic pilots please feel free to converse w/ me privately via email. No BS spams please, I'm just looking for accurate info.

Thank you,
[email protected]

An APLer accepting a position at Republic will not have nice things said about her/him. Right now all present 170 Division pilots have used their preference forms for something other than returning them to PIT. Its ALL OR NONE as far as the group is concerned. Because of this stance the company has sent out request to the APL list - as if this was a J4J position. We do not believe this to be true, hence the ALL OR NONE stance.

Finally a group of pilots have said enough is enough! We have drawn a line in the sand; in the long run the industry will be better off because of that line. Of course to date we have had 7 of our own see things differently. I think they are dead wrong, self-serving and lack the moral fiber to hold an ATP certificate. But hey thats just me!

Their are people on here that can give you a very concise report on the entire operation. Wade through the information carefully and then be prepared to stand by your decision. I believe that it will get much worst before it gets any better.

Good luck

ALL OR NONE

I agree, although technically they are not scabs I think they are much worse. These individuals unlike true scabs, actually know, and call many of the pilots they are stabbing in the back friends. Some friends! These people are the lowest of the low.

ALL OR NONE!!

Swaayze,

Private message me if you would like, and I can put you in touch with the gentleman chairing the efforts of the MDA/Embraer division pilots efforts to have our jobs sold. The issue is the MDA pilots are saying this is a change of control, that being so, there will be no J4J positions. If indeed this is ruled by the arbitrator to be a sale of assets event, it will indeed become available to the APL pilots after all of the MDA pilots have passed.

To answer your questions though, two (2) of 330+ MDA pilots accepted the positions with Republic and their names will never be forgotten or allowed freely on jumpseats again. Not scabs, but loathed by all just the same. The motion has been put forward to the MEC to change thier status in the event the MDA pilots do win the arbitration. So in short, for anyone to accept the position weakens our stance and increases exponentially the probability that future 170/190 positions will be outsourced and not mainline positions.

There is a damages suit pending.....

:up:
ALL OR NONE!

SH

Thanks for the replies. Sounds about like I figured it would. I guess I will "No Preference" for now.

It seems the J4J program is essentially finished as a viable alternative for those of us remaining on the APL who are not already participating in J4J or MDA.

Best of luck to all MDA employees, this situation really stinks for you folks.

You have more integrity in your pinky than the entire AAA MEC!

Thank you for the no preference, and as soon as we have this deal ironed out, I hope to see you ASAP.

This process will be worth watching and could affect the way furloughed AAA pilots are merged with the HP pilots. Its a long story, but could make mean the difference between being called back to the bottom of the combined active list and being recalled to your slot on the merged complete list.

I wish you the best between now and then.

ALL OR NONE!!

SH

Hey sold,

You can always fly those Mesa 737s that you said a year ago Mesa had purchased and was getting certified to fly.

Oh, wait, Mesa does not have any 737s!

Thanks SWS, I guess that's my one attempted virtue in life.

I'm afraid, though, that they will have no problem filling these slots from the APL. I have actually attempted to pay attention and therefore I knew enough to ask. I suspect many of the APLers don't have a clue of what's going on and many will probably accept the left seat jobs when/if offered. If not they will certainly be able to fill them from within/off the street thanks to the recently identified Shiny Jet Syndrome.

One more question: now that it seems certain that the airplanes will go there one way or the other, shouldn't the MDA pilots go ahead and preference those slots if they want them? The arbitration is essentially complete and you guys could end up with nothing more than the satisfaction of fighting the good fight and a pink slip. Does counsel advocate continuing this stance? The statement has been made and I'm not sure holding out any longer will be beneficial for you guys. Just wondering.

Thanks and good luck

700, they did have the lease arranged for the airplane and the manuals were written..... No, they did not actually take flight, but the fat lady has yet to sing.

For us both, I hope they never do, but they have negotiated with their ALPA and are working on a pay rate for the 737.

SH

Swaayze,

The aircraft may or may not end up at Republic. First and foremost, this job action being undertaken by the MDA pilots is NOT against the CHQ pilots, it is against ALPA/USAirways/Republic Holdings.

The arbitration has taken place, how the ruling will not come down possibly until November. In the mean time, if they are able to fill those classes, it weakens our position that it harms the careers of AAA/MDA pilots. We aren't attempting to prevent Republic from getting the aircraft (though it would be a good side affect if they did not), what we want is for the transaction to be a "Change in Control". That means 100% of the pilots and the contract go. This would cause a bit of a quandry as the IBT contract does not allow for such a transaction, but would in effect be the same type of merger as AAA/HP governed by Allegheney/Mohawk.

You will see some news, and some very loud actions on behalf of the MDA pilot group in regard to this issue in the very near future.

Those 170's are operating as USAir, shows USAir on the tickett stock and booking computer. The transaction with Republic has not taken place as of yet, so guess who owns those airplanes..... Also, those aircraft are flying mainline routes to and from LGA which MDA was prevented by the MEC from flying with the 170 last spring. It is going to get even more complicated as time goes on.

The bottom line is we are doing everything legally possible to preserve jobs, quality of life, rightfull position in both the HP and Republic transactions for MDA and furloughed pilots, and put a stop to ALPA allowing/encouraging the mollestation of the junior pilot group.

The best to you and make sure any APL guys you know get the word. There will if we are able to get the addresses, be a mailing to everyone on the APL from the MDA group.

Best Regards & ALL OR NONE! :up:

SH

PS. It says a lot that a pilot group is willing to go to the boards without any union sponsorship in such a unanimous way. Each MDA pilot has reached into his/her pocket for legal fee's to fund this adventure in doing the right thing.

Swaayze said:
I have actually attempted to pay attention and therefore I knew enough to ask. I suspect many of the APLers don't have a clue of what's going on and many will probably accept the left seat jobs when/if offered.
[post="297769"][/post]​

I for one will not .

APL DOH 9-89