Republic To Feed United?

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
There's a thread on the US Airways board discussing Republic Airlines, the new operation being started by Chautauqua and based in SDF. One person posted that a new T/A has been reached by Chautauqua and its pilots' union (IIRC, it's not ALPA -- I think it's the Teamsters) that envisions Republic operating 50 70-seat EMB-170s for United. If this is true, it could help to replace the United Express ASMs currently flown by Atlantic Coast at ORD and IAD if that carrier doesn't remain a United Express carrier, although I imagine that it would be at least 2006 before all 50 EMB-170 aircraft are delivered to Republic. Can anyone at United comment on this admitted rumor?

As for the EMB-170, from everything I've heard, it would be a terrific addition to the United Express fleet. The aircraft is supposedly much more comfortable than the CRJ-700, almost like a mainline aircraft, and I believe that it also has more range. To borrow a phrase from the Buick ad, "This isn't your father's RJ." B)

BTW, for those pilots concerned about "alter-ego" airlines, this same person noted in his/her post that the T/A also incorporated a single seniority list for both Chautauqua and Republic. Of course, this part is just a rumor as well.

Any clarification and/or confirmation of the above would be appreciated.