RES Cluster.....

MarkMyWords

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Yesterday was just another example of how inconsistent and changing policies, procedures, benefits, etc lead to confusion and inconsistencies.

I tired to purchase an ED20 ticket yesterday. Since we are no longer able to purchase those tickets online, I had to call Reservations - as it states to do on theHub.

First Call - Abrupt and rude agent - "Do you have a pencil and paper?" Yes. "Good, write this number down. 800-xxx-xxxx. That is the number you are supposed to call for ED20 tickets." Click (call disconnected). *** attention Res Agents - ED20 tickets are regular revenue tickets with a 20% discount.....the calls are supposed to go through the Gen Res number!

Second Call - I am trying to book an ED20 ticket and the previous agent told me I need to call the 800-xxx-xxxx number, but theHub said to just call the Gen Res number (800-428-4322). Indifferent Agent - "No, you need to contact the Pass Bureau on Monday." Click (call disconnected....again!)

Third Call - I have tried twice to book an ED20 ticket...you know, regular revenue ticket with the 20% discount. Twice now I have been given misinformation and disconnected. Can you please help me? Agent - "Let me transfer you." I am now transfered to some prompt that is all in Spanish! I disconnect because I have no idea what they are asking me.

Forth Call - I have tried to no avail to book an ED20 ticket. Can you please assist me. Confused Agent - "Let me transfer you." Where are you transfering me??? No answer - just a blind transfer to the Internet Sales Help Desk. Explain my situation, transfered back to General Res. Another Agent transfers me back to Internet Sales elp Desk. Hang up, try again.

Fifth Call - I plead with the agent to book this ticket for me. No transfers. No contacting anyone....please just book this ED20 ticket for me. PNR booked (finally), discount applied, but now I am being told I have to pay the 5.00 Res Agent Ticketing Fee! I politely reply that these tickets are exempt for the 5/10 fee and to please check the DRS reference. I am now told that if I chose not to pay the fee I will have to go to the airport. I again ask the agent to please check the DRS reference F*QRM/ED20 - Right there in the header it states "*ED20 CAN ONLY BE BOOKED THROUGH RESERVATIONS 5 DOLLAR RES TKT FEE SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED*. Rude Agents response, "You will have to pick the ticket up at the Ticket Counter." Click - disconnected again!

Sixth Call - I am ready to go through the roof, but maintain composure. This latest individual did not do anythign wrong....yet. I explain the sitation to an individual that is clearly from an offshore Res Center (first obvious offshore Res Person I spoke with). He apologizes (first time in 4 calls after my initial contact) and said that I am correct, Gen Res is supposed to book and ticket the ED20's and the 5/10 fee is waived since you can not book these tickets by any other means. PNR is finally ticketed and transaction complete.

I must be out of my mind....how can it be so difficult to BUY A TICKET ON MY OWN AIRLINE with the discount I am entitled to. Why would our own EMPLOYEES not know how to handle this easy transaction? We are all entitled to this benefit/perk, so is it that uncommon for RES to get these calls? A call that should have taken 2-3 minutes (I knew the flt numbers, dates and fare) took almost an hour and a lot of frustration! I can only imagine the grief that other REVENUE customers go through. And what ever happened to treating fellow employees with respect. Each call I identified myself as an employee, trying to book and ED20 ticket. Each call I was polite and patient, even after being transfered and disconnected.

What gives? 6 calls to handle a simple transaction!

What kind of service do you expect when Reservations Sales Agents make $8.72 per hour? That level of pay doesn't bring in the best applicants. I am not saying that the Reservations Sales Agents shouldn't care, because I believe they should give the best service they possibly can (regardless of pay). I think there are other factors at work here. Can you think of any?

Yesterday was just another example of how inconsistent and changing policies, procedures, benefits, etc lead to confusion and inconsistencies.

I tired to purchase an ED20 ticket yesterday. Since we are no longer able to purchase those tickets online, I had to call Reservations - as it states to do on theHub.

First Call - Abrupt and rude agent - "Do you have a pencil and paper?" Yes. "Good, write this number down. 800-xxx-xxxx. That is the number you are supposed to call for ED20 tickets." Click (call disconnected). *** attention Res Agents - ED20 tickets are regular revenue tickets with a 20% discount.....the calls are supposed to go through the Gen Res number!

Second Call - I am trying to book an ED20 ticket and the previous agent told me I need to call the 800-xxx-xxxx number, but theHub said to just call the Gen Res number (800-428-4322). Indifferent Agent - "No, you need to contact the Pass Bureau on Monday." Click (call disconnected....again!)

Third Call - I have tried twice to book an ED20 ticket...you know, regular revenue ticket with the 20% discount. Twice now I have been given misinformation and disconnected. Can you please help me? Agent - "Let me transfer you." I am now transfered to some prompt that is all in Spanish! I disconnect because I have no idea what they are asking me.

Forth Call - I have tried to no avail to book an ED20 ticket. Can you please assist me. Confused Agent - "Let me transfer you." Where are you transfering me??? No answer - just a blind transfer to the Internet Sales Help Desk. Explain my situation, transfered back to General Res. Another Agent transfers me back to Internet Sales elp Desk. Hang up, try again.

Fifth Call - I plead with the agent to book this ticket for me. No transfers. No contacting anyone....please just book this ED20 ticket for me. PNR booked (finally), discount applied, but now I am being told I have to pay the 5.00 Res Agent Ticketing Fee! I politely reply that these tickets are exempt for the 5/10 fee and to please check the DRS reference. I am now told that if I chose not to pay the fee I will have to go to the airport. I again ask the agent to please check the DRS reference F*QRM/ED20 - Right there in the header it states "*ED20 CAN ONLY BE BOOKED THROUGH RESERVATIONS 5 DOLLAR RES TKT FEE SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED*. Rude Agents response, "You will have to pick the ticket up at the Ticket Counter." Click - disconnected again!

Sixth Call - I am ready to go through the roof, but maintain composure. This latest individual did not do anythign wrong....yet. I explain the sitation to an individual that is clearly from an offshore Res Center (first obvious offshore Res Person I spoke with). He apologizes (first time in 4 calls after my initial contact) and said that I am correct, Gen Res is supposed to book and ticket the ED20's and the 5/10 fee is waived since you can not book these tickets by any other means. PNR is finally ticketed and transaction complete.

I must be out of my mind....how can it be so difficult to BUY A TICKET ON MY OWN AIRLINE with the discount I am entitled to. Why would our own EMPLOYEES not know how to handle this easy transaction? We are all entitled to this benefit/perk, so is it that uncommon for RES to get these calls? A call that should have taken 2-3 minutes (I knew the flt numbers, dates and fare) took almost an hour and a lot of frustration! I can only imagine the grief that other REVENUE customers go through. And what ever happened to treating fellow employees with respect. Each call I identified myself as an employee, trying to book and ED20 ticket. Each call I was polite and patient, even after being transfered and disconnected.

What kind of service do you expect when Reservations Sales Agents make $8.72 per hour? That level of pay doesn't bring in the best applicants. I am not saying that the Reservations Sales Agents shouldn't care, because I believe they should give the best service they possibly can (regardless of pay). I think there are other factors at work here. Can you think of any?
UGH. MarkMyWords, you were treated horribly. The other day must have been a full moon, because even I was losing my nerves on the phone. A PAX called me after speaking to RES.. he was LIVID from the beginning. He got madder at me because I interpreted his question differently than his intentions at first. "My baby isn't listed on my PNR." Now, I know >2 children can be lap babies, yes. What confused me was actually a prior call.. where they actualy wanted to buy a seat for their baby.

I started explaining to him that since the baby was less than 2, she was a lap child and we didn't sell a ticket. Boy was I ever so wrong for doing that! He was like "NO, the baby isn't on the PNR as a lapchild." So I realize finally what he wants. I call QM and talk to one of our nice managers, and explain to him that it's been awhile since I've done infant PNRs.. so he tells me how to edit the name record etc.. no problem! I do that and then go back to PAX.. "I'm sorry about the wait sir, I went ahead and corrected the issue for you. Your baby is now on the PNR." ...... NO NO NO ........ "Why wasn't it taken care of in the FIRST PLACE?!" .... NOT GONNA HAPPEN .... "First of all sir, if I had been the one to book yor trip this would have been taken care of properly.." I said, not in a sarcastic or demeaning way, but in a matter-of-fact kind of way. ..... "Don't first of all me.."

Now.. this is an example of a Livid customer. The moon must have been blue or something that day because the next thing I did was "I'm not continuing this anymore. Goodbye" and hung up.

Yes, I got counseled by my supervisor. First time I've ever hung up on anyone at work. It happens, it's wrong, and to a point.. lacks professionalism!!!!

You deserve better, as a customer (even one getting ED-20!!!), and as a fellow employee. I always treat people with respect, that is my principal. Even my supervisor told me I was out of character that call, and I feel like crap for it. I don't know what's going to happen, it was a bad day overall. They fired one of my friends for attendance issues.

Bottom line.. get the name at least next time of who you speak to. I know you probably did, or tried and couldn't understand their name.. (LOL.. I try to listen for their name when I call res and the memble it..)

Well I will tell you that the Pass Bearu screwed the ED-20 up totally. I had something very similuar to that. I had called the number that I was given off the hub. I was told that was the wrong number to call. I was placed on hold for 5+ minutes when the agent came back on and gave me the non rev number to call and told me I had to book it there. I thought well I haven't listed on that line for awhile maybe they made changes to it.

I call that number and I connect myself with the buddy pass line and I am told that I can't book there. I was given another number and this time it was to the HP employee line. I was talking to the person there and says he can't book a US employee. I thought well damn what to do. I was stupid and I emailed the Pass Office. I got some snippy response back from what I assumed was a HP employee that stated " You can only book ED-20's on US metal." I was like what does that have to do with the price of tea. I was so irritated that I just purchased a regular ticket and come to find out it was actually cheapier than the ED-20 cost. HP doesn't offer the ED-20 to the West employees and I think the company makes it as bad as they can for us since they don't really want to offer it.

What do I expect? I expect to be treated like any other customer. With respect. Purchasing an ED20, which is a benefit that ALL employees are able to utilize, shouldn't take 6 different phone calls to accomplish. If I received that same response from all of the RES agents that I spoke with, then I would assume that I was wrong in how to purchase a ticket. But each of the 6 agents had a different take on who I was supposed to call or how it was supposed to be handled.

I don't care if you are paid 5.00 an hour or 50.00 an hour, there is no excuse for being rude, mean, nasty or abrupt. Asking me if I have a pencil and paper and telling me to write down (an incorrect nuber) and then haging up is far from professional. You don't like what you make per hour, do something about it and improve your self. you are never going to go anywhere with that type of professionalism.

What do I expect? I expect to be treated like any other customer. With respect. Purchasing an ED20, which is a benefit that ALL employees are able to utilize, shouldn't take 6 different phone calls to accomplish. If I received that same response from all of the RES agents that I spoke with, then I would assume that I was wrong in how to purchase a ticket. But each of the 6 agents had a different take on who I was supposed to call or how it was supposed to be handled.

I don't care if you are paid 5.00 an hour or 50.00 an hour, there is no excuse for being rude, mean, nasty or abrupt. Asking me if I have a pencil and paper and telling me to write down (an incorrect nuber) and then haging up is far from professional. You don't like what you make per hour, do something about it and improve your self. you are never going to go anywhere with that type of professionalism.
You don't care if you are paid 5.00 or 50.00/hr ?

Once upon a time, Usairways had the best RES agents in the industry. They WERE well trained, professional and compensated FAIRLY for their efforts. As you have experienced, things have changed, and not for the better.

The sad truth is that if you compensate your employees at McDonald's wages, There is no incentive to excel or even think of staying in a job with no future.

Sounds to me a lot of employees are taking your advice MMW, "You don't like what you make / hr, do something about it and improve yourself"..

Looks like people take a RES job and find out that it is no longer a career. What happens, people end up staying until they find something better. [It usually doesn't take too long].

In this type of work enviroment, I think it's easy to see where the "professionalism" went. When you have a revolving door on your employment office, You can forget about having well trained and professional employees.

I guess that this truth is hard to accept if you were not asked to participate in the HUGE bankrupcy concession money grab...

at our lil station, I'd accept calls from various folks around town who needed a ride to Philly or DC, as they HATED Rent-A-Res in wherever. My manager *HATED* it, told us not to do it, so we then had to advise those folks to play "Press Your Luck" with our Rent-A-Res folks.

unfortunately I never saw those guys on USAirways again.

its amazing how this company raced to the bottom of the barrel.

now regarding ED20s... why was this taken off of thehub, cause my memory serves me that we could ONLY book them on thehub.

now why did the Sandcastle take it down? it was working fine (heck, ALL of thehub was working fine!)... :/

You don't care if you are paid 5.00 or 50.00/hr ?

Once upon a time, Usairways had the best RES agents in the industry. They WERE well trained, professional and compensated FAIRLY for their efforts. As you have experienced, things have changed, and not for the better.

The sad truth is that if you compensate your employees at McDonald's wages, There is no incentive to excel or even think of staying in a job with no future.

Sounds to me a lot of employees are taking your advice MMW, "You don't like what you make / hr, do something about it and improve yourself"..

Looks like people take a RES job and find out that it is no longer a career. What happens, people end up staying until they find something better. [It usually doesn't take too long].

In this type of work enviroment, I think it's easy to see where the "professionalism" went. When you have a revolving door on your employment office, You can forget about having well trained and professional employees.

I guess that this truth is hard to accept if you were not asked to participate in the HUGE bankrupcy concession money grab...
You are right on the mark. For the if you don’t like it leave people this what your get with the "Walmartization of the skies."

No incentive to do your best at a job? What about having a good work ethic?

This whole issue of booking an ED20 ticket has come up again and again. Obviously the company needs to look into this and put the word out as to how it is done. This is a benefit we are entitled to yet cannot use. The first thing you need to do when you make a res call is ask who you are speaking to. Lie and tell them you are from inflight services and your doing a quality check to see how they perform the ED20's. LOL. :lol: They'll all crap in their pants trying to hop from cubicle to cubicle finding the answer.

What kind of service do you expect when Reservations Sales Agents make $8.72 per hour? That level of pay doesn't bring in the best applicants.

General speaking in the West we did not have that type of problem or attitude and we payed only $7.25 an hour.

The old "we don't make enought to act nice, be profesional or care is getting old." :down:

"HP doesn't offer the ED-20 to the West employees and I think the company makes it as bad as they can for us since they don't really want to offer it."

HP has done the 20% discount at least for the last 10 years. You just could never do it online. I think the reason it came off the hub is a Shares/Sabre issue that will not be resolved until the res system integration. Many times the weekly About US has mentiond that feature will be back.

Comment #1

There is an interesting article by Nat Irvin in the Winston-Salem Journal today on employment and education. I quote "... High School dropouts didn't even average $20,000 a year, compared with $29,000 for high school grads. But here is the real kicker: College graduates made more than $51,000." USAirways pays a starting Reservations Sales Agent $8.72 per hour or roughly $18,300 per year (and it doesn't get much higher with years of experience). In other words, the average high-school dropout makes more than a starting Res Agent. :shock:

Comment #2

Regarding ALL employees being able to use an ED20. In theory, this is true. For those RES Agents making $8.72, this is only a dream. After paying the bills each month (forget about putting anything aside for retirement), these agents don't have the money to take a trip anywhere. Hotels, Rental Cars, Food, Entertainment all cost money, and money is precisely what the RES agent doesn't have.

Training issue again? I know from our new hires, they teach them enough to do basic ticketing and checkin and anything else is learn as you go. No need to give them more than the basics if they arent going to be here more than a year right?
The ED20s are actually easy to use and since they changed the rules can be done on any fare now. You book the cheapest ticket you can and then WPNCB then once you get the fare WPQ/ED20 and store it. Simple as that. Again, a training issue?

UPNAWAY,
Yeah, It's getting old alright.

It's not a matter of not acting "NICE" because you're not being compensated enough, It's a matter of Retaining people long enough to TRAIN them..

Maybe if they LOWER the pay down to $7.25 per hr.,That will take care of the attitude problem. :down: