Resending the MCO office closure

oldtimer

Aug 22, 2002
Wonder if there have been second thoughts about closing the reservations office in MCO? Today was a good example of what bad weather can do, especially when both INT and PIT were hit with their own weather problems. I also understand that they did not get but about 60 people volunteer to transfer to the 130 positions available to them. Now what will the company do? The smart thing to do, would be to recall the remaining 70 people on invol furlough from INT and PIT, but I wonder exactly what will happen.
I know a few people in MCO who already have jobs beginning right after the office closure on JAN 10. Would the union back them if the company tried to extend their stay in MCO, and try to force them to stay? Just wondered?
The next few days will be interesting, to say the least.

oldtimer...the company has put a fork in MCO res...it is a done deal. Do not see it being kept open. The company has this strange thought that since they own the building and surrounding land they can sell it....sounds like the SAN fiasco. They closed SAN due to the high operating costs and thought they had the building sold(SANRES was the other office owned by U). The building sits empty and unsold. I for one would love to see the MCO res stay open but I have to face the facts just like our mechanic breathren in TPA. It will not reopen. No doubt the past few days proves why the office should stay open, but with U it is a numbers game and we all know that for the general flying public we could give a rats behind about how long they have to wait on the phone. As we go through the next round of furloughs today if anyone else here is Preferred/Reissue agent guess what....the majority of these fellow agents are also the same classification so look forward to hearing our preferred passengers and passengers waiting to make a change to their tickets tell me how long they had to wait. My reply will be we are told we are overstaffed in the current biz climate the airlines face themselves in. Ironic is it not for the past few weeks I have noticed an increase in full fare ticket sells, but yet the company states this is not true. Hmmmm makes me wonder. The only fact that I know is we all know how much this company cares about the customer service we can give out. Lets face the facts...all airlines sell the same thing...a seat on a thin metal tube that flys through the air. The only thing that can separate the men from the boys is customer service. Northward bound in a month....MCORORES

oldtimer...the company has put a fork in MCO res...it is a done deal. Do not see it being kept open. The company has this strange thought that since they own the building and surrounding land they can sell it....sounds like the SAN fiasco. They closed SAN due to the high operating costs and thought they had the building sold(SANRES was the other office owned by U). The building sits empty and unsold. I for one would love to see the MCO res stay open but I have to face the facts just like our mechanic breathren in TPA. It will not reopen. No doubt the past few days proves why the office should stay open, but with U it is a numbers game and we all know that for the general flying public we could give a rats behind about how long they have to wait on the phone. As we go through the next round of furloughs today if anyone else here is Preferred/Reissue agent guess what....the majority of these fellow agents are also the same classification so look forward to hearing our preferred passengers and passengers waiting to make a change to their tickets tell me how long they had to wait. My reply will be we are told we are overstaffed in the current biz climate the airlines face themselves in. Ironic is it not for the past few weeks I have noticed an increase in full fare ticket sells, but yet the company states this is not true. Hmmmm makes me wonder. The only fact that I know is we all know how much this company cares about the customer service we can give out. Lets face the facts...all airlines sell the same thing...a seat on a thin metal tube that flys through the air. The only thing that can separate the men from the boys is customer service. Northward bound in a month....MCORORES

They didn't learn their lesson in Indy either. The res office there was and still is owned by the company. It has been for sale since before we closed. They make a little money by leasing the maintenance hangar to Fed Ex but that is it. Drove by last week and the furniture and computers are still all there, kind of odd since we closed in January. ATA did make an offer to buy it earlier this year, but US said it didn't want to give up the property just yet. United has an empty res office next door to ours that closed at the same time, they haven't done anything to it either.

They didn't learn their lesson in Indy either. The res office there was and still is owned by the company. It has been for sale since before we closed. They make a little money by leasing the maintenance hangar to Fed Ex but that is it. Drove by last week and the furniture and computers are still all there, kind of odd since we closed in January. ATA did make an offer to buy it earlier this year, but US said it didn't want to give up the property just yet. United has an empty res office next door to ours that closed at the same time, they haven't done anything to it either.