Responsibility of management

bunt3dunk

Aug 17, 2008
When will this management team deal with the real problem of this airline , the running of 2 seperate airlines is costing millions per month. For example the other day we had a sick pilot in PHL who was a West based pilot and they had to deadhead another crewmember from PHX to take his trip. How idiotic is this when PHL is a crew base?There are numerous other examples such as 2 seperat aircraft fleets , etc. The bottom line is to get this company ran as one , one set of contract for the pilots and flight attendants and one fleet of aircraft. Would PHX wake up and address the real issues ?

Another example-A while back an entire crew was DH to PHX to work the SAN turn, overnited, then the next day, DH back. :blink: :blink: :blink: Talk about a waste of money!

Those two examples were a waste of money. But the cost pales in comparison to the savings the company is reaping by paying the East pilots less than the West. A new contract will cost them more money.

In addition to what ItsJustAJob pointed out, the company is caught in the middle. Per the transition agreement, even if there were combined pilot and FA contracts the operation couldn't be fully integrated until the pilot seniority issue is settled.

That's not meant to absolve the company of all fault. If they hadn't insisted on "cost neutral" combined contracts for the first year and a half after the merger, the contracts may have been settled before the pilot's seniority award came out and the last two years of fighting over seniority integration would have been avoided. By missing that window of opportunity to settle the contracts, the timing of operational integration is now largely out of the companies hands.

Jim

In addition to what ItsJustAJob pointed out, the company is caught in the middle. Per the transition agreement, even if there were combined pilot and FA contracts the operation couldn't be fully integrated until the pilot seniority issue is settled.

That's not meant to absolve the company of all fault. If they hadn't insisted on "cost neutral" combined contracts for the first year and a half after the merger, the contracts may have been settled before the pilot's seniority award came out and the last two years of fighting over seniority integration would have been avoided. By missing that window of opportunity to settle the contracts, the timing of operational integration is now largely out of the companies hands.

Jim

(Trumpet flourish and drumroll.....)

I agree completely. Four times in as many weeks.

New contracts are out of the question unless they are cost neutral … anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be in for disappointment ..

New contracts are out of the question unless they are cost neutral … anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be in for disappointment ..

If that's the case, watch for the picket signs.

Every other carrier is head and shoulders above even the west pay rates. When this Nic thing is settled one way or the other, the company better to be ready to pony up industry standard wages, or go down the tubes.

Those two examples were a waste of money. But the cost pales in comparison to the savings the company is reaping by paying the East pilots less than the West. A new contract will cost them more money.
You mean management might have to, actually, start working?

If that's the case, watch for the picket signs.

Every other carrier is head and shoulders above even the west pay rates. When this Nic thing is settled one way or the other, the company better to be ready to pony up industry standard wages, or go down the tubes.

i feel for you busdriver ... but who are you bluffing ? yourself ? me ?

like i said , cost netrual only ...

you won't sabotage your own job because there's no where to run to .....

perhaps you should focus on learning to live within your current means and find peace that way ....

As a customer who has talked to/overheard employees talking there is a school of thought amongst them that says:

"Either We get a raise or US gets put out of business by its own workers"

The open question is that the majority viewpoint? I think it might be a large enough vocal minority, coupled with enough apathy that strike votes could easily happen and if a strike occurs it's good bye US Airways as the only then open question would not be "If" but "When" US ceases to be a free standing company.

The folks on the East are hissed off and ready to pull the plug. It's not out of the realm of possibility or even probability.

no ... i think you've misread our workers ... awhile ago i saw the saddest thing (sad because i can feel for the junior folks ) at one of the employee bus stops .... some or one of the workers an FA had put up posts at each stop appleaing to those FA's who had senority and didn't need the job to please take the furlough offered by the company so that others who do need the job wouldn't get pushed out ...

i think if we're going to talk about the responsiblity of managment we should start off by looking at ourselves .... i've felt that some of the other work groups at this airline haven't been responsible in managing their work forces expectations ... i do so hate to say it ... but i think we are nearing that time where everyone just needs to lower their expectations ... think of it as deleveraging ...

You would be hard pressed to find a flight attendant on the east that would cross a picket line. If it came down to that eventually due to "cost neutral" you'd see people walking.

You would be hard pressed to find a flight attendant on the east that would cross a picket line. If it came down to that eventually due to "cost neutral" you'd see people walking.

But you would see the same people caving in and rolling over like they did every time it's necessary to "put your money where your mouth is"........
Remember the last concessionary contract before the AWA train wreck? The ones running around terrified "there gonna shut the place down!!!! oh my!!"
You know the ones.....the ones that complain the loudest in the CLT crew room yet never once even bothered voting for a contract..... The ones that continuously overfly because it's all about them (I don't need a union and I am not a liberal) but plan on working until they are seventy three.....

Aside from these boneheads clogging the arteries of the seniority list and change at the airline - your right.

Not one former PIT/BOS/DCA F/A or Pilot I know would EVER cross a picket line.

If Dougweiser and company even thinks about coming to us we some POS "cost neutral" contract when MGMT (and that's a stretch) continues to award themselves bonuses for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at the expense of our concessions - the East walks in droves and even the "pansies" and "fence sitters" this time.

Yeah the economy is in the tank - but that doesn't change the fact. Sooner or later you have to stand up for whats right.
And maybe that is all part of the plan - The East walks and Dougweiser and the scabs inherit OUR airline. The "East" as you call it has been here longer than AWA has been in existence. And the route structure providing the revenue and yield. Reminiscent of the EAL-CAL days if those of you are old enough to remember. But it's not going to happen without a fight.

Shut the airline down, don't fly TLV? So be it - this isn't an airline anymore - it's just a cheap imitation of bus service using aircraft. RCA = Really Cra##y Airline.

BA working for free - just goes to show you that "Fear and Intimidation" is alive and well across the Atlantic as well as in PHX - and who even knew there were Kool-Aid drinkers in Western Europe.

Maybe the powers that be have a different opinion out west......It's good thing I moved back east.

But you would see the same people caving in and rolling over like they did every time it's necessary to "put your money where your mouth is"........
Remember the last concessionary contract before the AWA train wreck? The ones running around terrified "there gonna shut the place down!!!! oh my!!"
You know the ones.....the ones that complain the loudest in the CLT crew room yet never once even bothered voting for a contract..... The ones that continuously overfly because it's all about them (I don't need a union and I am not a liberal) but plan on working until they are seventy three.....

Aside from these boneheads clogging the arteries of the seniority list and change at the airline - your right.

Not one former PIT/BOS/DCA F/A or Pilot I know would EVER cross a picket line.

If Dougweiser and company even thinks about coming to us we some POS "cost neutral" contract when MGMT (and that's a stretch) continues to award themselves bonuses for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at the expense of our concessions - the East walks in droves and even the "pansies" and "fence sitters" this time.

Yeah the economy is in the tank - but that doesn't change the fact. Sooner or later you have to stand up for whats right.
And maybe that is all part of the plan - The East walks and Dougweiser and the scabs inherit OUR airline. The "East" as you call it has been here longer than AWA has been in existence. And the route structure providing the revenue and yield. Reminiscent of the EAL-CAL days if those of you are old enough to remember. But it's not going to happen without a fight.

Shut the airline down, don't fly TLV? So be it - this isn't an airline anymore - it's just a cheap imitation of bus service using aircraft. RCA = Really Cra##y Airline.

BA working for free - just goes to show you that "Fear and Intimidation" is alive and well across the Atlantic as well as in PHX - and who even knew there were Kool-Aid drinkers in Western Europe.

Maybe the powers that be have a different opinion out west......It's good thing I moved back east.

Latest posts