Retired FA's sue over non rev travel

This is something new to LUS

“Even foreign-exchange students living with an American employee can take advantage of free flights.”

AFAIK, it would be as a D3.  And, the article is misleading..."free flights" is not exactly the truth.

As far as the suit, well good luck girls convincing a court that a change to a granted benefit--which the fine print has said all along that the company can do--constitutes a "breach of contract."  IIRC, part of the fine print says that the company can change, or even terminate, the employee travel program at any time for any reason.

Reactions: 5 people
IIRC, for travel purposes, foreign exchange students are treated on an equal basis as any dependent child in a household (e.g. niece, nephew, foster child, or even a grandchild if you are caring for them).

Lawsuit? Good luck with that.

Anyone can file a lawsuit if they have money in their pocket to burn up in the wind. And there's always a lawyer willing to take that money instead.

I am hoping they win this law suit.  There is no way after giving AA (or TWA or US Air) the best years of your life you should kicked off a flight by someone's kid.  This should never have been done in the first place.

Waste of their good hard earned money. However it is theirs and if they want to burn it for no good reason, that's their choice. TWA employees spent years doing the same before. Nothing changed in the end. Except the fact their wallets were lighter.

Reactions: 3 people
OldGuy@AA said:
I am hoping they win this law suit.  There is no way after giving AA (or TWA or US Air) the best years of your life you should kicked off a flight by someone's kid.  This should never have been done in the first place.
Lawsuit against a benefit?
Maybe we can file a lawsuit to get our two weeks vacation back, holidays, holiday pay and of course lost wages!

Reactions: 1 person
I would guess our law suit would have to be against the TWU since they are the ones who insist on "Negotiating" those things for us.  I think the FAs could provide evidence that this is discrimination as I also think we could prove that also.  But of course I am not a lawyer.

OldGuy@AA said:
I would guess our law suit would have to be against the TWU since they are the ones who insist on "Negotiating" those things for us.  I think the FAs could provide evidence that this is discrimination as I also think we could prove that also.  But of course I am not a lawyer.
FYI, the US F/A's who had language in their contract lost their argument in arbitration...Do you really think retired AA F/A's who had NO language whatsoever will realize a different outcome?

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/us-airways-flight-attendants-lose-grievance-over-travel-benefits.html/

Reactions: 4 people
Deja vu all over again. At one time United's
retiree's with over twenty five years of service
were boarded first in recognition of their
contributions to the company. This all went
away with the Continental "merger." The only
thing that remains of the old United is the name.
History repeating?

Reactions: 2 people
MetalMover said:
FYI, the US F/A's who had language in their contract lost their argument in arbitration...Do you really think retired AA F/A's who had NO language whatsoever will realize a different outcome?

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/us-airways-flight-attendants-lose-grievance-over-travel-benefits.htm
I believe I said earlier that I am not a lawyer so I don't know for sure.  But I do know there are federal laws that make age discrimination against the law.  I also said we (AMTs) were being discriminated against with the inferior benefits.  I never claimed to be an expert or have much knowledge of legal stuff.  I am just rooting for these retirees as I think it is not fair to them to be classified as D2R.  Also I did say AMTs are discriminated against by the TWU and I stand by that statement.  We have the worst benefits in the entire airline industry and the TWU are the ones negotiating these. 

boxer said:
Deja vu all over again. At one time United's
retiree's with over twenty five years of service
were boarded first in recognition of their
contributions to the company. This all went
away with the Continental "merger." The only
thing that remains of the old United is the name.
History repeating?
i think you hit it right on the head!

What "contributions" did they make? If they had made "contributions" to another company would they have a similar benefit?