Retro FA Uniform Week & New Wearing Guidelines

LukeAisleWalker

Veteran
Sep 29, 2007
For those who have access: According to Deltanet, March 23-29 will be retro FA uniform week.
You can wear an old uniform from any airline including those pre-merger, pre-merger airlines like Western, Northeast, PanAm, Republic, Hughes Airwest, Southern, etc...
We did this a few years ago for the 75th anniversary and my favorite ones were the late 60's/early 70's uniforms. Some of the ladies still fit into them and did their hair to match the times...falls and corkscrews. Was a lot of fun.

Also, in the new wearing guidlines, no more shirts worn as outer garments---off the aircraft (in the concourse) which is a good thing to me. The women, esp. looked pretty bad walking around in the summertime with their wrinkled (lapbelts will do that) shirts hanging out. The guys, at least had their shirts tucked in, but both groups have to at least have a vest or blazer on (unless you're wearing the dress which, cough/cough, I don't plan on doing!).

We get new wings too--all red widget.

I am looking forward to the powder blue Pan Am uniforms.
They looked great! As far as the new uniform guidlines are concerned,
They are only as good as enforcement. LOL... I can't tell you how
many refuse to wear the Delta uniform coats. As far as the men, the
new trend (seems to be with the recently hired) is they feel
they don't have to button their top button of their shirt and no outer garment
on biz/elite flights in biz elite.

I am looking forward to the powder blue Pan Am uniforms.

The Pan Am uniforms were just wonderful..
I hope a lot of people participate with the wearing of vintage uniforms, that would be such a neat thing to see again, and so many of the senior ladies can still pull it off, I would love to see the 70's Northwest Orient Uniforms(hats included...), the Hughes and of course even that burgandy dress...all of the former uniforms actually men and women!

As far as the new uniform guidlines are concerned,
They are only as good as enforcement. LOL... I can't tell you how
many refuse to wear the Delta uniform coats. As far as the men, the
new trend (seems to be with the recently hired) is they feel
they don't have to button their top button of their shirt and no outer garment
on biz/elite flights in biz elite.

I remember there was a brief time when we were not allowed to even bid International First/Business at all unless you had your international serving jacket with you.. to show at briefing(even if you were the senior on the crew!) needless to say that didn't go over very well including the 'apron check' when signing in for flights a time ago when 'appearance checks' were routine prior to the phone check-in...they changed that..but we still have to wear either apron, sweater/sweater vest..jacket..on the flight during service (with a name bar)..

for the most part I see the men always wearing their shirts buttoned and pretty much pulled together quite nicely at NW especially the International crews and particularly Pursers..

The Delta crews I have seen.. appeared absolutely stunning..so professional!

for the most part I see the men always wearing their shirts buttoned and pretty much pulled together quite nicely at NW especially the International crews and particularly Pursers..

Lets hope that spills over from the NW side. I have heard that Uniform
compliance is not a problem over there.

Lets hope that spills over from the NW side. I have heard that Uniform
compliance is not a problem over there.
to be quite honest, do not even recall the last time an appearance check was even in place at check-in...its been a while, it was really never necessary in my opinion, based on my observations of the crews being compliant..

the Delta uniform is so nice, I cannot imagine anyone not wearing it properly..

I love it..

a friend of mine called me and told me she took her Northwest Orient uniform to the dry cleaners today and will wear it for Retro Week...

I actually pulled one of my older uniforms from the very back of the closet today and to my surprise found a timetable from way back then.. inside the jacket!

a friend of mine called me and told me she took her Northwest Orient uniform to the dry cleaners today and will wear it for Retro Week...

I actually pulled one of my older uniforms from the very back of the closet today and to my surprise found a timetable from way back then.. inside the jacket!

LOVE it, Dig!!

I have a few uniforms but unfortunately (I was a dummy!!) did not save my original one...the Neopolitan Ice cream one (pink, rose, burgundy for girls//brown, tan, dk brown for girls and guys) we had at Delta from the late 70's to the early 80's. We were so excited to go into a navy blue uniform that I hauled the old one right off to Good Will.
Oh well, live and learn..........

Can I wear my Delta Express uniform?
I would imagine every uniform from any airline under the "New" DAL. I would assume that would include Song and Express..

I so want to see someone wear the Hughes Airwest uniform..

a friend of mine is wearing the winter Northwest Orient Uniform early 70's..with the hat!

I hope someone takes a lot of photographs from all the different bases and combine it all so we can see all the wonderful uniforms throughout the system worn during the week!...

this is such a neat thing to do prior to the launch of the Richard Tyler Collection at NW..!

the uniform prior to the NW Navy blue had a burgandy or fawn dress option...a Flight Attendant said today she was going to wear the burgandy dress and find that boarding hat issued with that uniform and wear it on her head the entire flight on her turn! (I dont know if she was kidding or not!)

I can't remember; what was that uniform?
there is a KLM Flight Attendant (I want to say his name is Cliff?) who has a 'Stewardess Uniform' collection, and there is a website that displays the entire collection, I do not know the actual website address, but I am sure the Delta Express is on there as well as many others, as I remember once someone showed me the photos...the collection is amazing..

there is a KLM Flight Attendant (I want to say his name is Cliff?) who has a 'Stewardess Uniform' collection, and there is a website that displays the entire collection, I do not know the actual website address, but I am sure the Delta Express is on there as well as many others, as I remember once someone showed me the photos...the collection is amazing..
THanks for the idea Dig, I found this:
http://www.uniformfreak.com/1deltaexpress.html
Gotta love google :)