Retro Pay for Local 591 ASAP Coordinators

Roadking5560

Advanced
Oct 30, 2013
I read there will be an online up or down vote on this issue beginning on the 9th of September.  As a member I have no problem with someone being compensated for performing this valuable service to the members, but question the need for retro.  Does this mean they've been performing this service for nothing since January?  Why is it just now coming up for a vote what, 8 months later?  Transparency needs to start sometime.  

Reactions: 1 person
The union talks about retro pay for a position within the union and yet we can't even get the union to at least give us that 4% pay increase across the board. Not to slam the asap coordinator pay but the union needs to tackle the major issues as a priority.

Reactions: 4 people
Roadking5560 said:
I read there will be an online up or down vote on this issue beginning on the 9th of September.  As a member I have no problem with someone being compensated for performing this valuable service to the members, but question the need for retro.  Does this mean they've been performing this service for nothing since January?  Why is it just now coming up for a vote what, 8 months later?  Transparency needs to start sometime.  

Maybe the deal with the company has come to a halt as of late, and as most of them preach or say do you actually think I do it for the money? It's to protect the members. There must of been some type of compensation for them to do it. Now they have approached the local 591 leadership looking to be compensated. No problem if the local pays them, for the job.  But Retro the pay raise. Now that is a Joke, a slap in the faces to each member. It's the locals/unions money once  they take it from your check. Hey but just wait if this does not pass they will come back and be saying one day your going to need help. ( The intimidation Factor )

If they were supposed to get paid and didn't they should of put in for UBP, or what ever other Union Pay code there is to compensate the shop stewards/Station chair/ regional  rep.
For the performance of this task. To Me this is just a scam to take your dues and give it to the Union reps who lost their deal.

To go 8 months with out being paid for any time over the 40 hrs each week they worked. BS

Just how many of you would let a paid lunch not get paid each week for that much time? 

Reactions: 5 people
How are they planning on calculating the amount of time and Retro Pay or will they just give each ASAP guy a Flat rate. 

Tell us what compensation you should of gotten and how many hrs you spent up and above the company paid work hrs you did get paid.

How many of YOU have gotten in trouble or needed to fill out the ASAP papers for other information or safety items, with the help of the union and remained after work?  Or did it just get done during your shift.? How many times were you asked to come see me later we got time because I have to go. "YES" there is a time to fill the asap papers to be filed I get that.

How does the Local plan on calculating the amount of time above the union stipend each union rep receives already? Isn't that part of the many tasks each rep has at your station? 

Don't let the TWU at the Local Level scam you the Intl. has been doing for years.

Since they closed each Local and made this One big local we now have more upper level union slots which got pay raises early on without our vote they did it themselves.
Now they want to add something to the bylaws and make you feel like your part of the process. 

The company pays them 2 hours of OT per week. You people live under a rock.

I agree with paying them the same as the other coordinators but to add retro into the vote without an option other than a "NO" vote to the raise is ridiculous. This is what the membership gets to vote on? Typical TWU BS, vote in the raise with retro or NO RAISE?

As I said, I have no problem with compensating them for their work, but to add retro in the mix with no choice but an up or down vote is a little devious in my opinion.

AMFAinMIAMI said:
How are they planning on calculating the amount of time and Retro Pay or will they just give each ASAP guy a Flat rate. 

Tell us what compensation you should of gotten and how many hrs you spent up and above the company paid work hrs you did get paid.

How many of YOU have gotten in trouble or needed to fill out the ASAP papers for other information or safety items, with the help of the union and remained after work?  Or did it just get done during your shift.? How many times were you asked to come see me later we got time because I have to go. "YES" there is a time to fill the asap papers to be filed I get that.

How does the Local plan on calculating the amount of time above the union stipend each union rep receives already? Isn't that part of the many tasks each rep has at your station? 

Don't let the TWU at the Local Level scam you the Intl. has been doing for years.

Since they closed each Local and made this One big local we now have more upper level union slots which got pay raises early on without our vote they did it themselves.
Now they want to add something to the bylaws and make you feel like your part of the process. 

It's interesting that they weren't paid. I asked RVDL a while back when I heard appointees were getting paid extra. He told me that he did get an offset in his check of two hours straight time that was reimbursed by the Int'l back to AA. AA never paid two him two hours of OT. He said the same was true for other TWU appointees and they were never paid a salary directly by the TWU but through their paychecks. That way the taxes were taken out. Now while the way it was paid sounds odd and that we never got to vote on these people is an issue with me, it does show that the TWU was always paying these appointees and why the locals didn't pay them is beyond me. They deserve to be paid for their work and if it comes from dues I paid to the local or the Int'l it's our dues and it should go to our representation if we want it to. Period. Retro is not an issue as they should have never been denied pay for work they did.

I do agree with you on the officer salaries and other bylaw changes. When the new locals were formed years ago we got to vote on any change from the temporary bylaws that were in place when the local was set up. The time limit for filing a protest is long past though. We all should have filed an appeal with the Int'l back when it happened. Spilled milk now but we need to wake up. Lot's of things going on that are not in our vested interests.

Roadking5560 said:
The retro is because this was discussed and agreed to be put out to a membership vote in January. No sinister motive in the delay, just omission. Yes we screwed up. There has been a lot going on. 

These guys put in a lot of effort that has helped a lot of our guys and has resulted in changes to procedures and manuals that protect all of us. Their efforts also save the Local money by averting unfair discipline and the arbitration costs which would go along with dealing with that. They also don't have the opportunity to work OT but make themselves available all hours of the day. They put in long days going to stations across the system and talking to guys on all different shifts. If they put in a 16 hour day there is no OT, they may have flexibility to take a day to make up for it, but more often than not if they do they will get at least one phone call from someone in the system who needs them. 

Its an issue of fairness. I voted YES and would encourage others to do the same.

Bob Owens said:
The retro is because this was discussed and agreed to be put out to a membership vote in January. No sinister motive in the delay, just omission. Yes we screwed up. There has been a lot going on. 

Not in regards to negotiations, heck, they never meet!

Reactions: 2 people
AMFAinMIAMI said:

Paid a flat rate from the Union at the same rate as the EAP guy. 

Its going to a vote because of the bylaws. 

sorry but i cant vote for anything until we get a contract. frozen into immobility until we get our s*it together and get out of the bankruptcy contract.