REVENUE STAND-BY TICKET PURCHASES

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Folks,

My daughter burchased a ticket via the internet (which she does often) one month ago to fly today from PIT to PVD (one way as she will be driving home with her boyfriend whose on spring break from law school). Today she goes on line to confirm seating on U (as she often does) and print a boarding pass and it states she is "stand by" STDBY revenue. The ticket was $117 one-way. My daughter's intent was to purchase a space positive seating (just like a regular pax) otherwise, she could just non-rev.

Here is the issue: If we wanted to fly standby as employees, we would not purchase a stand by ticket. No where when purchasing the ticket does my daughter recall the code STDBY. It now shows up on the confirmation. It is restricted as well, so that if the flight is full she loses the money and can't stand by on another flight as stated under "restricted ticket".

She said that she called the employee- line to see how many available seats there are and there happens to be 25. However, she doesn't know how many revenue passengers bought these "STDBY" tickets as the employee line only speaks to non-revenue listing.

The question here is: Since when did our airline start selling revenue STDBY tickets that are restricted? And how does this effect non-revenue employees travel ability to get to and from work? My point is this. Someone had better negotiate SPACE POSITIVE TRAVEL (so many passes per year) otherwise, the workers will have an even harder time to get to work competing with revenue STDBY.

And if a passenger pays for this type of ticket, how do they know how many folks are standing by????

Is there an agent that can speak to this?

where is it on the MEC E-line to alert the f/as that this business marketing idea of STDBY revenue ticket purchases exists at a much lower cost to the public. And what priority boarding does a STDBY passenger have when there are many of them that purchase this ticket, just in case an employee wants to buy one to ensure boarding with pax for the available seats...

And how does this effect non-revenue employees commuting to work/coming home from work or employees/retirees just wanting to travel competing for revenue STDBY passengers who are flying basically space available??

King,

She puchased the ticket about 1 month ago via the internet. She doesn't remember seeing that she was actually purchasing a STDBY ticket.

There is space availabe (thank god), but its very disheartening to employees who are trying to commute if this is now a new marketing strategy to fill up the a/c.

For my family, we wouldn't have purchased a STDBY ticket...we would have just non-reved. Obviously, when buying via the internet one has to be very saavy, otherwise you may be purchasing a low fare which is really STDBY.

Did you call reservations and ask them about the Revenue Standby Fare " how stupid of me to ask that, I don,t think those folks in South America would know if you even got through"
But I think that when you went to get the boarding pass issued day of departure all seats were given out, they keep some seats at airport check in day of deptarture.
I never heard of revenue stand-by ticket.

Sounds like the flight is oversold. She is not really standyby, but that is what prints on the boarding pass when no seats are available at the time of checkin.

PITBull,

If you are (or were) a usair employee, I'd be happy to provide you with our helpdesk number... they could give you a very quick answer to your question.

She was one of our bestest, and is greatly missed!

T....next time adivse your daughter to get a seat assignment when she makes the reservation, this could have eliminated the situation. Hope all goes well for her!

R

Well, I have an idea who "she is", but according to a certain airline's Corporate Ethics manual we.. err... employees can not admit nor acknowledge employment with USAirways, Inc. or its subsidiaries on any internet or public forum. We err They may talk about stuff that they don't want us err them talking about and letting the public know what's really going on here i mean at USAirways.

But regarding "the bestest" I agree there.... she's got balls & the know-how

Pitbull,

When I worked in rez we had a lot of phone calls on this very issue. When it gives you the rules of the ticket online it appears to say standby, but it is just explaining the standby rule.....she'll be fine.

Hope you have had this cleared up....

Well, I have an idea who "she is", but according to a certain airline's Corporate Ethics manual we.. err... employees can not admit nor acknowledge employment with USAirways, Inc. or its subsidiaries on any internet or public forum. We err They may talk about stuff that they don't want us err them talking about and letting the public know what's really going on here i mean at USAirways.

But regarding "the bestest" I agree there.... she's got balls & the know-how

Wow! That's how they change the PPG and CPG to suit their needs! Creative editing!