Ric Not Until At Least 2005

I find it hard to believe that ISP is the reason they are not adding RIC. PVD had 4 daily flights to ISP that were cancelled earlier this year. They could surely replace those 4 flights with some from RIC. Has WN lost gate space at WN since these flights were cancelled? Even without ISP in the mix, they could offer service from RIC to MDW, PHX, LAS, BNA, MCO, and TPA. I just find the excuse a little weak myself. Seems like they see better potential at other airports. Don't think you will ever see WN pre-announce a new city again!!

The PVD flights were all replaced by additional service. Apparently, WN has stated that they limit flight operations to 8 per day per gate and that is what Southwest is at now at ISP. Construction at this point seems to be accelerating but this is a big project for a small airport. I do find it hard to believe they are pinning service work at ISP considering their other markets, but they have been consistent since the beginning about wanting to establish this market.

Jeffjas said:
Apparently, WN has stated that they limit flight operations to 8 per day per gate and that is what Southwest is at now at ISP.
Interesting. Is this something new? WN started service to PVD with 14 flights from a single gate. 7 years later they now operate 27 flights out of 4 gates.

I find it hard to believe that ISP is the reason they are not adding RIC. Even without ISP in the mix, they could offer service from RIC to MDW, PHX, LAS, BNA, MCO, and TPA. I just find the excuse a little weak myself.
If you remember when SWA announced service to ORF Herb said at that time that service to RIC would begin as soon as we had more gates in Chicago & New York. All SWA is doing is being true to what Herb said, it just is taking longer to get the gates built at ISP than was thought. As for how many flights per gate SWA likes to maximize at 10 if possible. The 14 flights at PVD to start was an exception. There were also many days that we rented gates from other airlines. Now at PVD there are 24 flights for 4 gates. MHT has 21 flights for 3 gates.

:huh: I think that SWA is a little embarrassed by the RIC announcement and the fact that they will not fulfill that commitment until possibly 2005. I agree that we will probably never see SWA announce another city before the official announcement. I wouldn't say that SWA has egg on their face, but I am sure that the people of RIC have a bad taste in their mouth. Just mt 2 cents........ :shock:

Richmond remains supportive of a WN launch "at an appropriate time in the future." As a community, we're patient, and know that something this special is worth waiting for. :up:

Setting aside ISP, I think it would be very possible today to identify 3-5 high traffic markets that would yield a very prosperous return for Southwest.