Rivals' Weakness Is Ual's Edge

BigRed1

Aug 30, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
UAL demise Bad Karma for NWA and DAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crain's Chicago Business

Rivals' weakness is United's edge

Northwest, Delta face Ch. 11 as fuel costs rise

September 05, 2005

By Julie Johnsson

United Airlines will feel the pain as jet fuel prices rise in Hurricane Katrina's wake, but not as acutely as some of its rivals.

With a large section of the Gulf Coast in ruins, disruptions to oil production and air transportation are likely to drain cash at Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp., which have major operations in the blighted region. Delta and Northwest have hubs in Atlanta and Memphis, respectively.

The prospect of Chapter 11 looms for both airlines, which had warned they could be forced to seek bankruptcy protection even before the storm struck: Delta because it's running low on cash, Northwest if it's unable to gain $1.1 billion in labor concessions.

A Northwest spokesman declines comment, but points to a Sept. 1 Securities and Exchange Commission filing in which the airline warns that rising jet fuel prices could hasten its bankruptcy filing. Delta didn't return calls seeking comment.

Their misfortune could benefit United as it winds up a three-year bankruptcy reorganization.

Though loaded down with debt, United, the nation's No. 2 airline, will be in better financial shape than either Delta or Northwest to weather the coming winter, when soaring fuel costs and light passenger loads threaten to spark a liquidity crisis among the industry's weaker players.

ADVANTAGE: UAL

The Elk Grove Township-based carrier has among the lowest labor costs of the major airlines, a new deal that will trim aircraft financing costs by $2.9 billion over five years and the apparent confidence of its lenders, who've committed $3 billion in exit financing.

"It gives United, obviously, a strong advantage against the other legacy carriers," says industry analyst Julius Maldutis.

United doesn't expect the hurricane's aftermath to hamper its restructuring and plans to submit its reorganization plan soon, a spokeswoman says.

"We are focused on doing the work that will enable United to compete and face the challenges the industry presents," the spokeswoman adds. "Doing the work to restructure effectively ensures United can determine its future."

United faces considerable financial challenges, however. It still must convince creditors and a Bankruptcy Court that its business plan has sufficient cushion to withstand the current oil shock. And management's commitment to exit bankruptcy with all-debt financing will leave the airline heavily leveraged.

But survival is the name of the game in the coming months, as the U.S. airline industry heads for another shakeout. United holds a competitive advantage in its $1.87-billion unrestricted cash reserve, which will increase by about $1.4 billion with its exit financing. Delta and Northwest will have $1.19 billion and $1.23 billion, respectively, by yearend, analyst Ray Neidl estimates. United has positive operating cash flow, while Delta and Northwest are burning through about $4 million a day.

Cash will be crucial to surviving in an era when oil costs $65 a barrel or more. The 10 largest U.S. airlines are on pace to spend $25.8 billion on fuel this year, or 27% of their revenue, according to AirlineForecasts LLC, a Virginia-based market research firm. That's a 50% jump in fuel spending from 2004, when the airlines devoted 19% of total revenue to fuel.

"This is ugly stuff," says Vaughn Cordle, president of AirlineForecasts. "This is an industry-transforming phenomenon. I think it's going to force consolidation and it is going to lead to major restructuring."

United could gain if bankruptcy filings prompt Delta or Northwest to shrink operations, or spur consolidation in an airline industry some see as plagued by overcapacity. "You'd see some portion of the network go away," says Robert Mann, principal with R. W. Mann & Co., a Port Washington, N.Y.-based aviation consultancy. "Some portion of the existing revenue pool would be available to others."

I can see both NW and DL filing in the next month. I think DL could be in and out of BK pretty quick, not 4 years. I think NW could be in for a while. Depending on what happens with all their unions, it could be a mess there. I do give UA a little advantage but not much of one. Even when UA emerges, they are not out of the woods. Just my thoughts.........

I think it's about the fares (still). At least they (the Industry) raised fares in relation to the latest oil spike, finally showing responsibility. NWA used to 'not play along' with respect to fare hikes, but due to the mess they're in, I don't think that they have as much latitude has they had before...It's still a game of 'Chicken'.

this article is simply an attempt to spin a bad situation into someone's advantage. UA may have greater staying power than NW or DL right now, but it is rather certain that both of those other airlines will get enough DIP financing if they file to reorganize their businesses. All of the sudden, DL and NW might have the advantage when they can improve on what has been done by UA and US in bankruptcy.

Further, advantage in this business comes in the form of being able to take market share from a weak airline. DL so massively controls the SE that no one is likely to significantly pick up any market share even if they cancelled 50% of their ATL operations. Because CVG (and JFK to a lesser extent) duplicates many ATL O&Ds there is considerable ability to recapture traffic.

As for the current fuel crisis, let's also remember that CLT and IAD are served by the same pipeline that serves ATL. JFK is in better shape because it is not an inlet port and can have fuel delivered by barge; inland airports aren't so fortunate.

I think you will see both DL and NW announcing plans to restructure their operations within the next couple weeks if not days. At that point, UA might well be on the defensive if DL and NW announce measures which change something more significantly in the business. Particularly with respect to employee policies, I expect that DL and NW will look to do more than just slash pay multiple times for existing employees. The whole HR model must be changed and I expect that DL and NW will do that. NW appears to be taking a confrontational approach while I expect DL will use a kinder, gentler but more decisive approach because of its largely non-union status.

History shows all organizations are cyclical and that is especially true in the airline industry. UA may have the advantage for a time but others will quickly match and exceed that advantage.

WorldTraveler said:
this article is simply an attempt to spin a bad situation into someone's advantage. \
[post="296740"][/post]​

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WorldTraveler said:
this article is simply an attempt to spin a bad situation into someone's advantage.
[post="296740"][/post]​

World,
What about all those post you made about how smart dl was in the avoidance of Ch11 and that UA had no plan and would be put out to pasture soon? It appears that your rose colored glasses filetered out the red ink on the DL blotter.

Now you see CH11 as something that is as you call it "restructure their operations" Not Filing for Bankruptcy. What the term too hard to swallow?

DL and NW deserve what they get out of this. Too much jack talking during the UA process for me to have sympathy. As Bethune said himself about UA and it could be plausible for NW and DL now, "once they roll over it will not take long for the rest of the boat to sink". Could be fire sale on assets in the near future. BonApetite ATL here we come.

"this article is simply an attempt to spin a bad situation into someone's advantage."

Oh man. i think this comment was adequately addressed above!

" but it is rather certain that both of those other airlines will get enough DIP financing if they file to reorganize their businesses."

Is it certain, World? How many times did you post on the UAL forum that UAL didn't have financing of one type or another until I had to post the actual press releases to prove you wrong? What, two or three times? Got any links to show where DAL is getting their financing? I have posted multiple times where DAL's own officers have said they may not have sufficient collateral for meaningful DIP financing. I suspect the loan sharks will be preying on DAL soon unfortunately when/if they get their money.

"Further, advantage in this business comes in the form of being able to take market share from a weak airline. DL so massively controls the SE that no one is likely to significantly pick up any market share even if they cancelled 50% of their ATL operations."

Well, I hope Delta doesn't shrink their operations too much as everyone knows, "You can't shrink to profitability." Right, World? It must be right because you told us all that on this very forum just a few months ago!

And I doubt UAL will pick up much if anything in the SE if DAL were to run into "difficulties." But I bet Airtran, JetBlue, and US Air will. Will DAL be able to get it all back? Probably not.

"At that point, UA might well be on the defensive if DL and NW announce measures which change something more significantly in the business."

UAL is going to be on the defensive when/if two big competitors go into bankruptcy? Yeah, like our competitors were "on the defensive" when we went in? I think DAL and NWA have to actually get their act together AND get out of bankruptcy befor they put anyone "on the defensive."

"UA may have the advantage for a time but others will quickly match and exceed that advantage."

Match? Maybe. Exceed? Maybe. I don't want to take away from your hopes or your reasons for getting up in the morning so I guess anything is possible. But as you loved to tell us, World, all of those employees are about to feel "incredible pain" and a successful exit from bankruptcy is not assured for either company.

All the airlines are hurting (xcpt SWA...for now). I think that if DAL and NWA got bankrupt they will definately shrink. NWA wants all -9s parked DAL with the guppie-200's and -300's and 767-200's that's a lot right there. So it would make a case for a large aircraft order once out of bankruptcy to capture this domestic capacity...heck 5.3 billion in cash can buy a lot of airbusses right? Really though I do think a scenario such as this will unfold. Will DAL and NWA survive...probably but they will definately be smalller. UAL started with around 641 a/c prior to BK now down to 455 ish. See what I mean. :eek:

ualdriver said:
And I doubt UAL will pick up much if anything in the SE if DAL were to run into "difficulties." But I bet Airtran, JetBlue, and US Air will. Will DAL be able to get it all back? Probably not.

Southwest has a habit of increasing schedules in a challenged competitor's 'turf' (ie PIT) as well. I think JetBlue might be another player as well....As for NWA, man, what a mess they're in...

Looks like Northwest might be having some more problems:

Northwest said to face FAA probe
Report: Letter says 470 safety inspection reports have not yet been filed with government agency.
September 6, 2005: 6:07 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Federal aviation regulators are investigating possible maintenance problems at Northwest Airlines since mechanics went on strike Aug. 20, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

According to the newspaper, the Federal Aviation Administration said one of its inspectors, temporarily re-assigned from his duties at Northwest, had complained to the FAA and to Mark Dayton, a Democratic senator from Minnesota.

The senator in turn contacted the FAA and the Department of Transportation's Office of the Inspector General and sent a letter to FAA Administrator Marion Blakey, outlining the inspector's assertions, the Journal said.

Dayton asked Blakey to "assure me and the public that Northwest Airlines is meeting all necessary standards of reliability and safety."

Northwest (Research) said it could not comment on the findings because they were not available but said it was in contact with FAA officials. "Safety is of paramount importance to every employee at Northwest Airlines," the company said in a statement.

The Journal said the letter to Blakey alleged that about 470 FAA inspector reports on Northwest's maintenance operations for 11 days after the strike began had not been entered into an electronic database, "which would have triggered a risk assessment."

The letter said that 58 percent to 90 percent of the inspector reports cited defects, compared with a defect rate of 3 percent to 5 percent for Northwest prior to the strike. According to the letter, a 9 percent defect rate would trigger an internal FAA alert.

The airline is using non-union replacement technicians to maintain its fleet after union mechanics walked off the job.

The Journal quoted the company as saying 98 percent of its flights were completed in recent days, while about 80 percent arrived within 15 minutes of their scheduled time. Northwest said the number of aircraft out of service was about 20, compared with more than 50 when the strike was declared.

As I have posted several times, UA has FINALLY appears to finally have put together a credible plan and IS delivering sustainable results. After 2 1/2 years in bankruptcy and with the franchise UA has, they should have done it a long time ago. but they have done it and I certainly won't stand in the way of UA returning to viability. However, UA has STILL not emerged from bankruptcy so all of your chest thumping is just that until you actually emerge.

I am also quite certain that DL and NW will both move through bankruptcy far faster and more decisively and accomplish much more than UA ever did. After all, DL and NW have long histories of being better run than UA ever was..... at least you never saw DL pilots be stupid enough to cripple their airline in the middle of the busiest season of the year. ual driver, do you lie in bed at night and wonder what would have happened if that little temper tantrum hadn't occurred? the truth is that everyone at UA paid a high price for it. that little blemish in UA's history will never be forgotten. blemish or no blemish, UA will recover with wounds; history says that DL and NW will move through bankruptcy and emerge with their wounds as well. gloat if you wish but usually those who have survived disease provide the best support for those in the midst of it.

You can give up any thoughts of coming into ATL. You obviously aren't talking w/ Tilton since he apparently would rather see DL merge w/ NW than UA. Besides, the way you see it, ATL and DL's network serves nothing more than a worthless bunch of leisure passengers. The reality is that DL has managed to become the 3rd largest airline based on that network and operates the world's largest hub (which is growing) so it's obviously worth alot more than you believe. and, yes, airlines don't shrink to profitabililty but DL has managed to increase capacity better than 5% this year while reducing its fleet by about 30 aircraft. DL just implemented its 2nd phase of its ATL hub restructuring which frees up even more aircraft. It's very possible to shrink the fleet without shrinking capacity. It should also be apparent to you that DL is growing NYC and international markets that have higher utilization than domestic markets.