Rjdc Jets-for-jobs Update

Sep 1, 2002
Jets-for-Jobs and its Impact on the ASA and Comair Pilots

Introduction

Imagine if one morning you awoke to the news that ALPA had created a “privilegedâ€￾ class of pilots within the ASA and Comair ranks. These pilots would work under a “differentâ€￾ contract and would have their own seniority system, their own pay scales, and reserved seats in the highest paying aircraft. Add to that, if you refused to accept these terms, your own union would divert the future growth, including your next upgrade, to non-ALPA carriers like Chautauqua.

No imagination is required. This is the future based upon ALPA's current bargaining trends.[1] This is what happens when your own union ignores its duties and says that your jobs, your flying, and your futures can be used by “mainlineâ€￾ pilots as their bargaining capital. This is what has happened at other carriers where ALPA's “regionalâ€￾ pilots failed to defend their rights in advance of mainline concessionary bargaining. This is what can happen when ALPA's leaders expect the ASA and Comair pilots to “payâ€￾ for representation that is already owed. This is the reality of “Jets-for-Jobsâ€￾.

Jets-for-Jobs Defined

Jets-for-Jobs is characterized by mainline pilots unilaterally imposing, or coercing, special employment rights at other carriers flying under “theirâ€￾ brand in exchange for modifying the restrictions they have unfairly placed on those carriers. They unilaterally create, in effect, a “contract within a contractâ€￾ making additional flying opportunities contingent upon the creation a “preferredâ€￾ class of mainline pilots within the affiliate's ranks. While Jets-for-Jobs may have different aliases, most notably “brand scope,â€￾ it can be easily recognized by the following indicia:

- Unilaterally imposed by mainline interests.
- Additional growth or aircraft linked to special seniority rights.
- Creation of “preferredâ€￾ class of pilots.
- Creation of a “contract within a contract.â€￾
- “Reservedâ€￾ seating in highest paying equipment.
- Special bidding rights for “mainlineâ€￾ pilots.
- Special rates of pay for “mainlineâ€￾ pilots.
- Special furlough protections for “mainlineâ€￾ pilots.
- Coerced “regionalâ€￾ ratification process.
- “Mainlineâ€￾ pilots left in full control of all “brandâ€￾ flying.

ALPA's Conflict of Interest

As our bargaining agent, ALPA is obligated to promote our interests and to protect the integrity our working agreements. But by negotiating “Jets-for-Jobsâ€￾ agreements, the union itself undermines and works against the very same pilots it is obligated to defend.

- “Mainlineâ€￾ terms would violate pre-existing ASA and Comair contracts.
- Creation of “preferredâ€￾ class of pilot would violate ALPA's duty of fair representation.
- Pilot ratification, if allowed, conducted under duress created by the union.
- Union supports and condones unilateral imposition of special conditions.
- “Reservedâ€￾ seats violates filling of vacancies.
- Union condones use of alter ego carriers.
- Special furlough protections violate seniority.
- Union threatens or actually diverts flying from ASA/CMR.
- Special pay rates violate compensation sections.
- Union supports mainline manipulation of “regionalâ€￾ flying and equipment.

Economic Impact of Jets for Jobs

In order to “sellâ€￾ Jets-for-Jobs, or Brand Scope, to its “regionalâ€￾ constituents, ALPA promises that such schemes will create growth at any carriers that accept its terms. However, the benefits of such “growthâ€￾ are illusionary because the economic benefits are siphoned off by the creation of a preferred class of “mainlineâ€￾ pilots.

1.Reduction of Advancement Opportunities: A pilot's economic future is inexorably linked to his or her ability to advance into higher paying positions. Jets-for-Jobs creates “reservedâ€￾ seats which require that a majority (if not all) of the additional growth be staffed by “mainlineâ€￾ pilots, thus denying the “regionalâ€￾ pilots the economic benefits.

2.Specter of Additional Mainline Furloughs: It's no secret that management's efforts to increase mainline productivity could result in hundreds of additional surplus positions. This means the potential number of “regionalâ€￾ displacements under Jets-for-Jobs will not be small or temporary. Any promise of future mainline positions (i.e. flow-through) is at best just that…a promise.

3.Proliferation of Alter-egos: When ALPA demands that its own members accept Jets-for-Jobs on a “take it or leave itâ€￾ basis, the end result is the creation or growth of alter-ego carriers as ALPA encourages other regional airlines to “bidâ€￾ against its own members. In the first year of “Jets-for-Jobsâ€￾ at USAirways, ALPA supported the creation or growth of four additional “regionalâ€￾ airlines which competed directly with USAirway's wholly owned carriers.[2] This condition is precisely what ALPA's “scopeâ€￾ and “alter-egoâ€￾ policies are supposed to prevent.

4.Downward Pressure on “Regionalâ€￾ Pay Rates: Jets-for-Jobs' special provisions require that modifications be made to the affected “regionalâ€￾ contracts. At USAirways, the PDT, ALG, and PSA pilots were forced to accept steep concessions as part of a “packageâ€￾ deal—orchestrated by ALPA—their own union! Further, the administrative and economic burdens imposed by Jets-for-Jobs require even more “offsetsâ€￾ to neutralize the impact of these expenses. Offsets such as “one-seat one-pay-scaleâ€￾ illustrate the kind of contractual devices that cause a net reduction of pay and advancement opportunities.[3]

Your Job, Your Career, and How to Protect it

Since Jets-for-Jobs and other “employmentâ€￾ schemes are linked to billion-dollar mainline agreements, it's difficult to prevent their implementation after the completion of mainline bargaining. While the ASA and Comair pilots might be given the token chance to accept or reject such terms, ALPA's own whip-saw tactics means that a rejection of Jets-for-Jobs will only result in the diversion of flying to another carrier.

The only way to prevent the implementation of Jets-for-Jobs is to ensure that it's not negotiated in the first place. This requires that ALPA uphold its duties to the ASA and Comair pilots before, during, and after the mainline negotiations. As history proves, protests “after the factâ€￾ are no substitute for equal and fair representation.

Unlike other less-fortunate pilot groups, the ASA and Comair pilots have mounted an aggressive defense of their rights intended to compel ALPA to uphold its lawful duties. Likewise, the ASA and Comair pilots can arm themselves with the facts and continue to demand full accountability through, and from, their elected representatives.

As proud union members we are concerned about the plight of the Delta furloughees. In fact, we have long maintained that ALPA's ill-conceived scope policies have contributed to the wave of mainline furloughs. Therefore, true scope reform, not further abuses, is the only way to restore full employment to our industry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] ALPA has already imposed “Jets for Jobsâ€￾ agreements at USAirways and United. At the time of publication, the Northwest MEC says it's preparing a bargaining proposal which would permit mainline pilots to fly additional 70-seat jets in the NWA “system.â€￾
[2] Mid-Atlantic, Republic, Midway, and Freedom.
[3] Chautauqua and Mesa made substantial changes in first officer pay and bidding rights following the imposition of Jets for Jobs.

InclusiveScope said:
- Unilaterally imposed by mainline interests.
- Additional growth or aircraft linked to special seniority rights.
- Creation of ?preferred? class of pilots.
- Creation of a ?contract within a contract.?
- ?Reserved? seating in highest paying equipment.
- Special bidding rights for ?mainline? pilots.
- Special rates of pay for ?mainline? pilots.
- Special furlough protections for ?mainline? pilots.
- Coerced ?regional? ratification process.
- ?Mainline? pilots left in full control of all ?brand? flying.
What an absolute crock of $#!T.

Not even worthy of a response, but OK, I'll bite just because it's Wednesday.

J4J pilots at PSA certainly are not a "preferred group." We are treated just a poorly as all the rest.

J4J pilots at PSA make LESS MONEY than the origional PSA guys. So if that's what you mean by "Special rates of pay," then I guess your right. Special = LOWER PAY.

As for the rest, it's all a bunch of poorly disguised spin. Obviously the work of a career commuter pilot with lacking self esteem. Hey dude, but at least you're flying a JET, right? Isn't that what all you morons wanted ten years ago, is to fly JETS?!? What a
stupid thing that turned out to be, right? Turned the whole domestic market into one big race to the bottom, complete with WalMart wages.

Good job, RJDICS or whatever the hell you are. Yeah, sue ALPA! Sue everybody! I just want to fly a JET!

WWWWWWHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

:angry:

Let me start by saying that I skipped most of the post that started this thread because it was the same old drivel from the RJDC.

J4J pilots at PSA certainly are not a "preferred group." We are treated just a poorly as all the rest.

J4J pilots at PSA make LESS MONEY than the origional PSA guys. So if that's what you mean by "Special rates of pay," then I guess your right. Special = LOWER PAY.

Two points here... While the J4J pilots are not currently a preferred group at PSA, your former mainline MEC is trying to make you such with the probable consequence of the CRJ-701's dissapearing from the US Airways world along with the job opportunities for the fuloughed mainline pilots.

Second, your claim that J4J pilots make less than the original PSA guys is BS. "Original" PSA captains may be making more than your J4J types, however the "original" PSA FO's are making less than all of you J4J types. The PSA FO's, while pleased to be employed, are getting the biggest shaft in the deal because they watch those Junior to them hold Captain slots, and make almost double the money.

Peace!

Skeezer

APL Refugee said:

" J4J pilots at PSA certainly are not a "preferred group." We are treated just a poorly as all the rest.

J4J pilots at PSA make LESS MONEY than the origional PSA guys. So if that's what you mean by "Special rates of pay," then I guess your right. Special = LOWER PAY."

APL Refugee, you are wrong. The mainline pilots at PSA are a "preferred group". What other new hire gets to go to the left seat ahead of pilots that are senior to them? What other new hire FO gets top of the scale FO pay while others start out at year one pay? On top of that, now you are trying to change the rules again and become MORE "preferred"

As to your "career commuter pilot" snide remark, I would be carefull if I were you. Many USAirways pilots have become "career commuter pilots" who make less than I do.

From my perspective of not being subject to (and never having to be subject to) the whole J4J's program, both sides have some valid arguments. As it has morphed from the original concept to the present sorry state of affairs, the J4J's program has become an apparent mess.

The only solution I can see, and one that most airline's management would not sign off on, is to have all flying done by a single pilot group on a single seniority list. To my way of thinking, this is the boat that ALPA missed when the RJ's first appeared. Everything since has been an attempt to make the best of a bad situation - with each side having a different idea of what the best might be.

I guess the second best would be to have all flying "under one roof" (mainline and W/O'ed) with flow through and flow back agreements in place, but that has some problems too.

Jim

Inclusive scope said,
As to your "career commuter pilot" snide remark, I would be carefull if I were you. Many USAirways pilots have become "career commuter pilots" who make less than I do.

He's right. (sigh)

Especially since growth at Comair has come to a grinding halt. I would appear to be a "career commuter pilot" and I most certainly make less than he does.

And rumor has it they're going to be asking for concessions again soon...

I miss 1999. :(