RJ''s

aj04878

Feb 8, 2003
Aside from those flown by MDA, does anyone know when the first 70 seaters will be flown as US Express?

Noone operates 70 seat RJ's in U colors right now. I believe MAA will be the first carrier to get them followed shortly by Mesa after they have merged Freedom back into their list in October.

Freedom is operating 70 seaters, out west and not for USAir. MAA will be the first in group to operate more than 50 seat RJs,ie (P.O.S.EMB-170).Rumor says that Mesa is looking to buyout Midway to get in through the back door with their "heavy iron".

Heard that GROUP Along with Mainline and WO MEC's are in talks right now on putting 70 seat RJ's at the WO's. ALPA would not allow the WO's to sign on with 100% seats going to furloughed guys. I believe 50% of the seats is whats being discussed. I am sure that almost all of the furloughed guys would rather work at the WO's with our Work Rules compared to Mesa.

As for Mesa, it is my understanding that they have agreed to 70 rj's under J4J (in addition to the 32 they already have). Of these 70, 30 are going to be CRJ 700's. They wont be here until 2004. -Cape

From what I understand of Jets-for-Jobs, furloughed pilots will be placed at the bottom 50% of the seniority list. With a monthly gaurantee of only 8 days off on reserve, life at Mesa will be miserable.

flyin2low:

How does buying Midway get them heavy iron? Midway only flies CRJ-200s. The B737-700s are long gone, and would certainly not be any part of a USAirways Express agreement, even if they were still around.

You know, I was just catching up on the ALPA boards, scrolling thru all the guys in training out in PHX for Mesa,they were all talking about hotel this, transportation that, lack of ground school quality, unorganized scheduling of training etc......and it dawned on me that these guys are scabbing their own jobs!!!!!!!! THEY are the ones who are taking THEIR jobs!

Judging by what they are saying the whole CRJ 700/900 training structure is a mess, and the CRJ 50 class is not much better. I spoke with one who just finished, and is waiting on I.O.E. and he told me that for the most part they taught themselves the airplane from the manuals and that the instruction was useless due to the massive overloading of the training schedule. He said the training was geared to the brand new airline pilot and was tediously slow for a long time pilot. To make matters worse he said he was paired with a 400 hr F/O straight out of Mesa Academy (I dont remember the official name) in the simulator, so most of the time was spent trying to get the F/O to be anywhere remotely near being caught up with the airplane since prior to that the fastest thing he ever flew was a King Air for a few hours in school. So he ended up taking a type ride with next to no actual stick time in the sim. since the F/O needed it to be able to stay right side up.

I doubt Mesa could get Freedom or all the other RJ's up so quickly if it were not for the 15000 hr guys in effect training themselves. If ALPA had held their ground we should have at least been able to get all the RJ's at ML and the W/O's. I know if they get to my number I would much rather have an experienced W/O F/O beside me than a 400 hour guy who is just now experiencing the sensation of being over 18000 feet and 200 knots for the first time in his life!

Just some observations.

onthestreet wrote:

I would much rather have an experienced W/O F/O beside me than a 400 hour guy who is just now experiencing the sensation of being over 18000 feet and 200 knots for the first time in his life!

Just some observations.

St. Leibowitz replies:

Hindsight is 20/20

You dont have to tell me...I was among the crowd that wanted to add the W/O's to our Sen. list.

They never seemed to let us vote on items like that!! Too many "Chads" probably

And if they were on your seniority list, they would be on the street and you'd be bouncing around in the mighty dash!

again, hindsight is 20/20.