Roddey Not Happen

AM49AAA

Aug 20, 2002
Roddey questions US Airways' inaction on proposal to sustain hub operations here

Friday, August 15, 2003

By Mark Belko, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

Allegheny County Chief Executive Jim Roddey said yesterday that he is growing frustrated with the time it is taking US Airways to respond to a $263.9 million proposal to keep its hub in Pittsburgh.

In his strongest statements to date, Roddey questioned whether the carrier viewed the talks with state and local politicians as a priority and said it may be time to more aggressively pursue other airlines to fill the breach should US Airways close the hub.

"I guess I'm becoming very disappointed that they have not given their response a higher priority," Roddey said. "I think the time they are taking in responding is far in excess of what it should be."

During a high-profile meeting in Washington, D.C., on June 11, Gov. Ed Rendell and other Pennsylvania lawmakers offered US Airways a $263.9 million package of cost savings and capital improvements at Pittsburgh International Airport and Philadelphia International Airport, a move that generated positive comments from US Airways Chief Executive Officer David Siegel.

About a week later, a negotiating team put together by Rendell met with US Airways representatives at the state Capitol for four hours. Since then, state, county and airport officials have been waiting for US Airways to prepare a counteroffer, but one has yet to materialize.

At one time, both sides had hoped to complete negotiations by July 18, but that deadline came and went with no agreement.

Asked if the lack of a response indicated that US Airways was not interested in maintaining its Pittsburgh hub, Roddey replied, "I hope that's not the reason, but it makes you wonder. They certainly don't seem to be in any hurry to respond. They've had ample time."

He said state and local negotiators had expected a response from the airline in each of the last two weeks but that did not happen, adding "it doesn't look like we'll have anything this week."

"I'm just irritated more than discouraged," Roddey said. "I guess I'm frustrated for the employees. They would like to have some answers. They would like to know what their fate is going to be and it's very frustrating not being able to tell them anything."

With negotiations moving slowly, Roddey said it is important for county and airport officials to intensify their discussions with other airlines about starting or expanding service in Pittsburgh. He said county officials have an obligation "to preserve the airport," where US Airways is the dominant carrier with about 80 percent of the passenger traffic.

"We're actively pursuing [other airlines]," he said. "We're not holding back."

A top US Airways official said the airline is not dragging its feet and is still interested in negotiating an agreement to maintain the Pittsburgh hub.

Chris Chiames, US Airways senior vice president of corporate affairs, said one reason it has taken so long for the airline to respond is that it has had to hire municipal finance experts to examine ways to reduce the airport's $673 million debt, which the carrier says makes Pittsburgh uneconomical. It wants the airport to cut the debt by $500 million.

"In actuality, we haven't had sufficient time [to respond] because, frankly, we are undertaking efforts that perhaps Allegheny County might have been doing as well, including thinking creatively about what to do with the debt," he said.

Chiames said the airline has informed negotiators that the $263.9 million package offered by Rendell doesn't adequately address debt costs. He added the carrier was told by local officials that they were not in the "position to adequately address the debt."

"We said we would look at the issue and see if we could come up with some answers," he said.

Chiames said the airline's goal is to find a way to keep the Pittsburgh hub. But even if it can't, the airport needs to reduce its debt costs if it is to be attractive to other airlines.

"Ultimately, this is not about helping US Airways. This is about making Pittsburgh International Airport a competitive place to do business and allow us to continue to operate the hub because it's more cost-effective," he said. "We really think it's in the interest of the entire region that the debt at the airport be reduced."

Roddey questioned whether US Airways could come up with a plan to reduce the debt, generated mostly during construction of the $1 billion midfield terminal, which the airline agreed to build.

"They're in financial distress, we're solvent, and they're lecturing us about how to handle debt?" he asked.

In US Airways' most recent employee newsletter, Chiames addressed the status of the Pittsburgh hub in a question-and-answer format. He said the airline pays about $54 million a year to pay off airport debt and that $8 of the airport's $9 per passenger cost goes to cover debt.

Roddey retorted that the airline's decision to cancel flights at the Pittsburgh airport -- it has eliminated 143 daily departures since Sept. 11, 2001 -- was "a major contributing factor as to why we have a $9" passenger cost. As passenger traffic decreases, per passenger costs increase.

PineyBob said:
I happened to be in PIT at the main club when Roddey, Siegel, Chiames and their respective crews were meeting a while back.

You should see this nit wit Roddey! everyplace he goes he has a security detail. If you see a balding man in PIT surrounded by an entourage with several beefy security guards from the the Alleg. County Sherriff's Department then you've seen Jim Roddey. I see him off and on there. Wonder why no one has made mention of how much all of his security cost taxpayers?

Contrast that to Mr. Siegel who wanders about the airport like a lost customer, albeit a lost customer with a very expensive and finely tailored suit. To me that says something about the 2 people and their respectives veiws of their own importance.

On this one I'm sorry to say to all of the great posters from PIT, I'm on Airways side and I wouldn't back down, not when I hold most of the cards. I mean c'mon with $9.00 per passenger cost who else would commit to PIT? The only thing I dislike more then arrogant, out of touch airline executives is, Little power hungry tin horn government officials who have sucked off the taxpayer teet and have no clue what it is to actually work in a profit making enterprise.
Good morning all from D.C. where we have electricity - unlike about 50 million others in the United States.

You made this same statement on the other board....

Anyhow, the Chairman of the SAN County Board of Supervisors runs around with one or, at most, two deputies in tow.

PineyBob said:
I happened to be in PIT at the main club when Roddey, Siegel, Chiames and their respective crews were meeting a while back.

You should see this nit wit Roddey! everyplace he goes he has a security detail. If you see a balding man in PIT surrounded by an entourage with several beefy security guards from the the Alleg. County Sherriff's Department then you've seen Jim Roddey. I see him off and on there. Wonder why no one has made mention of how much all of his security cost taxpayers?

Contrast that to Mr. Siegel who wanders about the airport like a lost customer, albeit a lost customer with a very expensive and finely tailored suit. To me that says something about the 2 people and their respectives veiws of their own importance.

On this one I'm sorry to say to all of the great posters from PIT, I'm on Airways side and I wouldn't back down, not when I hold most of the cards. I mean c'mon with $9.00 per passenger cost who else would commit to PIT? The only thing I dislike more then arrogant, out of touch airline executives is, Little power hungry tin horn government officials who have sucked off the taxpayer teet and have no clue what it is to actually work in a profit making enterprise.
Who do think caused these $9.00 passenger charges? USAirways.

Who wanted this mega-terminal built that created all the debt? USAirways.

Who is causing the costs to go higher by spreading them over fewer passengers? USAirways.

Who let their operational costs get out of control so that they could not compete with other carriers? USAirways.

Who failed to get the right equipment (ie RJ's) so that the PIT hub could effectively compete with other hubs (DTW,CVG,etc)? USAirways.

Who gouged customers for decades causing many of them to choose their car over the plane reducing PIT's traffic numbers? USAirways.

Sorry, but most of the PIT hub problems are caused by USAirways. Now, after causing all these problems, USAirways want to renege on its obligations. So much for being a good corporate citizen.

Temporarily, PIT would hurt by losing US, but in the long term, they'd be better off. Giving concessions to a dying company is a waste.

Regardless of the reason why, PIT's operating costs are too high for a city with low O&D traffic. I agree with PineyBob that Dave Siegel holds all of the cards and it's in the best interest of those interested in the success of US for the airline to drive down its PIT costs as much as possible.

The government's proposal provided the airline with capital improvements, but marginally addressed the debt.

In my opinion, there will be an eventual agreement to keep the PIT hub, but it will not occur until the end of the year. Each day that goes by increases the pressure on government leaders, which is good from a negotiating point.

Furthermore, a restructured PIT hub will put significant pressure on NW at DTW and DL at CVG, especially with the new low-cost MAA division coming on-line shortly with an industry leading regional product.

Best regards,

Chip

By the way

Roddey does NOT run the airport. He acts like it, which is going to cause problems for this whole endeaver.

The Airport is run by an authority, NOT the county.

The county cannot use the airport revenue to promote economic development of the county.

An airport must make decisions to make the AIRPORT as self-sustaining as possible, not support a county's tax base.

Any punitive measures taken by the county against U for reducing or increasing or changing its service pattern could be unenforceable.

I suspect that there are resources available to ACAA that could be liquidated to help reduce debt. Does anybody know if they are pursuing that?

Dave holds all the cards? Really?

After screwing one airport, just how ready do you think anybody else is going to be to accomodate Dave and his armada of RJs?

They are not going thru PHL. It would be an operational disaster. There is ample evidence of this.

You are not going to fly somebody from ALB to CAK via CLT.

Moreover, as has been proven--the debt problems at PIT are of US Airways' making. Not the county, the county executive, or anybody else.

What they need to be doing, and what Roddey is saying, is courting other airlines to minimize the damage after US leaves over the new year.

If US stays, the county is stuck with the debt that US created (according to the Dave rules of the game), diminished service, and high prices.

If US leaves, the county is still stuck with the debt, diversified service, and the inherint lower prices. If I still lived there, that's what I'd be urging the state and county to do.

For those of you who insist on repeating the "low O&D" mantra, it bears repeating once again that PIT has higher O&D that CLT.

Good luck to all the folks trying to commute ex-PIT once they pullout occurs.

And Bob--PIT will still end up with more US service than say, ACY
:D

Ladies and Gentleman,

There is a problem that needs to be resolved in Pittsburgh and both parties need to come to the table and figure out the solution.

From the way I see it US Airways owes the state of Pennsylvania, the US Airway employees, the representatives of the state a counter-offer. This offer needs to be made sooner rather than later. It is absloutely disrespectful for US Airways to play a negotiating game with the very state that lobbied extensively on their behalf for a loan from the government (which they got), pension relief (which they got) and opening up Reagan National Airport after 9/11 (which they got).

Now the state comes in with a whopping quarter billion offer and US Airways waits and plays games before offering a counter-proposal.

If US Airways wants to go and feels the concessions are not worth it than just say it and stop monkeying around. If they want to stay, negotiate in good faith like the state has and continues to do.

Pittsburgh has been a good partner to US Airways and has bent over backwards to try and accomodate the requests they have made over the years. And yes US Airways has been a good partner to the city of Pittsburgh in providing their economy with numerous jobs and other economic advantages.

There is definetely a middle ground in here somewhere. But the fact of the matter is US Airways management owes it to the State of Pennsylvania and the City of Pittsburgh to negotiate in GOOD FAITH.

Just an interested frequent flyer from Washington DC!!!

The sad thing about this whole scenario is that PIT's configuration is a much better choice for a hub than PHL. If they were able to move the operation at PHL to PIT they could eliminate most of the operational nightmares which exist at PHL.

I know it's next to impossible given what has been spent at PHL, but PIT is designed to be a much more efficient hub airport-runways which are actually far enough apart for simultaneous approaches/operations, terminals which allow multiple movements in the alleys, etc.

Oh well--

US Airways current management knows nothing about good faith to its employees and vendors.

PBob-

I think you are right on point with your comments in this thread.

Hey, U ought to convince UAL to shift it's IAD feed to PIT for the 10 years remaining in U's agreement, then shift to PHL when the airfield is reconfigured! ;)

Guys,

You all just kill me. Now it Pennsylvania's friggen fault, and U management is just the most reasonable folks?

I think you guys have gotten too complacent.

U can do anything they want! They can stay, close the hub, if they wish, bring MAA here or not. We the employees will follow where ever the company goes. POINT IS:

If management wants Pennsylvania tax dollars, MY tax dollars. to now support an airport ,WHEN THEY HAD LEASE AGREEMENTS THAT U SIGNED IN GOOD FAITH YEARS AGO and walked away from in BK, then there has to be a negotiation that benefits the tax payers, as well. For the employees (7,000) in the area and to get the bang for their tax dollar too, THE NEGOTIATIONS HAS TO INCLUDE A MINIMUM OF "main line flights" out of Pittsburgh. PEeriod. Other wise, U can not have $16 million dollars of annual tax relief from Pennsylavania, or a Reservation center OR maintenance for those sticken small jets that will blacken the skies of Pittsburgh and only provide "poverty wage" jobs.

In other words, its all about compromise. You guys still understwand what that means right? if U can not put in writing a minimum of main line flights in Pittsburgh, THEN NO TAX DOLLARS. U can decide to stay, go, keep MAA or not. There choice. I think the State representatives ARE ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING. Short of having a "bill" pass that bails out airports in the USA that are in this predicament, they can not give U what they DEMAND.

Pittsburgh labor is NOW in this equation. If anyone doesn't think so, I can tell you first hand and from the front seat, that your delusional. We the tax payer AND employees of this state demand writtn language of minimum flight in PIT. If Dave and co. can not do this, because they are not sure of the climate conditions from year to year. Then don't ask for tax help.

Regarding PAST negotiiations in building this airport. You folks on here are INCORRECT. U insisted on a new airport and threatened to leave back in early 90's. They negotiated that they would infuse $500 million and take the majority of the gates for this contributions. So Pittsburgh did at the time, what they believed was the right thing.

NO ONE IN THEIR WILDEST DREAMS WOULD THINK THEY WOULD GET A MANGEMENT TEAM FROM HELL, AND ASK THE IMPOSSIBLE OF THE COUNTY WHO HELPED BUILD USAIRWAYS FRANCHISE.

This management has positioned itself for the senior execs. to beome instant millionaires when the stock begins trading. AND HERE WE SIT AS LABOR CONTEMPLATING IF WE SHOULD BUY GROCERIES OR BE LATE ON THE CAR PAYMENT.

You guys are unreal. And Chip, go out and get drunk. Please. They stole your pension. Did you forget? Your stock investment may go to "0". We are going to leaflet for "livable wage jobs" and contract violations till the cows come home.

U can keep my 80 shares.
I can just see through my crystal ball....PA Delegation will get blamed no matter what. If they make an agreement, give in to all of the demands and U pulls mainline out of PIT and just keeps MAA, they will get hell from Labor and the constituents for not securing good language to keep mainline here, OR if they don't reach an agreement, cause they couldn't reach those demands, PA delegation will still get crucified. And this freggen mangement will walk away looking good.

Its just amazing.

Just a few comments on the USAirways Vs. Allegheny County issue.

(1) Allegheny County made one major mistake when building the new airport.

The saddled themselves up with one airline in mind (USAIr)..the is in contrast to how CLT operated when buidling thiers. CLT went with the Build as you need philosophy..and they were catering to both Eastern and a quickly growing Piedmont. Thankfully Piedmonts growth was explosive enough to overshadow the failed Eastern operations..and the airport continued to grow regardless.

(2) Allegheny County only built one aspect of the airport...and that was the terminal side. Unlike CLT whom also built a state of the art (at the time) Maintenance Facility to cater to it's biggest tennants needs. PIT stuck with shacks that are vintage 50's designs from the Howard Hughes TWA era. This is going to haunt them in reagrds to USAirways of the 21st century as well.

To lay blame on USAirways for PIT's individual lack of vision...or placing of soul trust in one company is foolhardy. The USAIr/USAirways leadership has changed a few times since those agreements were pinned. The current leadership does not have Ed Colodny's or Seth Schoefield roots or regional ties to PIT and Allegheny County...so who's to blame here? Is it USAirways for breaking into a larger PHL market...or the state of Pa. and Allegheny County for betting the farm on a "One Trick Pony" ???

I happen to agree that PIT is a great facility...and it's a crying shame that PHL is not 1/10th as functional as our fine operation in PIT...but two hubs that are 40 air minutes apart in the same state (excluding ATC delays and ground holds) is foolish by any stretch of the imagination.

I want to see PHL 's issues resolved before any more expansion takes place there..they need to solve todays issues...and have a working plan in place before anymore is added to thier plate. Too Much , Too Fast does not lead to a smooth operation..I think the current state of affairs makes this very clear...or should.

Bob comments: Several Points I
f the State of PA has nearly 1 BILLION to pizz away on 4 sports stadiums then they can pony up that kind of dough to help an embattled employer compete.

As a customer I don't give a fat rat's behind about what type of plane, scope clauses or other arcane bull stuff. I wanna fly for a REASONABLE fare and recieve a certain level of service from my carrier of choice.

PITbull Replies
: Just as you state above that you don't give a rat's ### about plane ype, scope, etc, as long as YOU get a REASONABLE fare and receiver a certain level of service, I feel the same way about my wages. As long as I get a fair livable wage for the "rasonable" service I provide to the public. (YOU) that's where I'm at for the 4 days a week a spend in the air.

So, right there we have a meeting of the minds on who cares for what.

With regard to the stadium and PA spending $1 Billion on the stadiums in PIT...two wrongs DOES NOT MAKE A RIGHT. Some where in here, PA has to stop with the spending and the "freebie tax payer gives" AND GET NOTHING IN RETURN EXCEPT DEBT SERVICE AND MORE WORKERS GETTING PAID MINIMUM WAGE JOBS.

I find it ironic though, that you would bring up the Pittsburgh stadiums. Siegel just brought that up when the PIT AFA President ran into him at the PIT airport today. Wonder how come? Have you been breaking bread with Dave lately? Or is it just coincidence that you and Dave also have a meeting of the minds?

Bob,

You say "and hopefully grow jobs"? What jobs? Main line job hope? Hope is not enough with this mangement. You need things written in black and white period. Just because PA has in the past helped corporations and as a result saved jobs, well thats a wonderful thing and rightfully so. However, in U case, there is Mid Atlantic, and whether you give a rat's ### over wages or not and only care about your flying experience and ticket price, to we employees, MAA IS NO WIN! Especially for Pittsburgh and the local communities. U needs to also step up to the labor plate and commit to growing mainline jobs (no hypothetical, we've been down that road with U before on the maybe, will see, and we are hopful retorhic) Iam sure Labor can help with these negotiations if U will commit in writing to keeping minimum for mainline flights in PIT. Don't know why, Bob, you are concerned with not requesting or expecting this of this management. That is what baffles me about you. YOu expect Labor to be quiet and not demand anything from this management and now the PA State, for what end? So that you can fly an airline that serves your purpose. Well, that's greate for you Bob. But guess what? We want compromise. No we demand it. Or U doesn't get the dollars it needs from we the PA taxpayers. And let the chips fall where they may with Pittsburgh. U can leave, stay, cut down PIT, close it down, bring in MAA or not. Its up to them. They are already walked away from their obligations to the leases in BK. Labor is all in agreement with this thought process in Pittsburgh. You know, we can always transfer out of PIT. So, you see, there is a greater issue at stake here. Its about tax payer dollars. Blackening the skys with small jets, is not a win for Pittsburgh. With property taxes soaring to help bring down the airport debt all for a job offer that has poverty wages. Again, more concessions for the labor of Pittsburgh effected by this management once again. No thanks.

Life has conditions and risks. We employees have learned and know and understand this very well now.

Time for fair and good negotiations, compromise for all parties involved. Nothing wrong with putting things in writing. And trust me when I say this, PA Delegation is very well aware of Philadelphia's profit potential to U. Keep in mind, there are many many airlines that would love to take the gates in PHL. Rendall's hometown is PHL. I am sure you know too, that this is not about a Pittsburgh response; but rather a Pennsylvania response. Can you figure out why?