Roddey Speaks Out On Us Airways' Performance

Too much going on with US Airways to read to much into this article. I believe Pitt. Is being held hostage waiting on a whole bunch of contingencies. It is going to be a wait and see. Just my humble opinion……..

Roddey is correct. Every major airline except 3 were profitable in the 3rd quarter. Delta was not. They have not yet negotiated pilot concessions. Had they had them they would have made money. UAL was not. They are still in Chapter 11. US Airways was not. This was after nearly 2 billion dollars in concessions by employees and vendors. In fact, the most recent CASM figures show U with an INCREASE! We are at the bottom of the list in on time performance and customer satisfaction among all major airlines. Why?

Because this management, led by Dave Siegel, cannot run an airline. Either operationally or financially. They are now frantically trying to come up with ANOTHER plan since the first one is an utter failure. When will the BOD wake up? When will WE, the employees, demand Siegel's resignation?

Carty realized that to save AMR he had to go. And he went. Mullin realized he would not be able to negotiate concessions from his pilots. So he went. Those two men showed character. Their companies were more important than their egos. Not here. Dave's medal of honor is negotiating the fastest exit from Chapter 11 in history. Little good that did. His expertise in Chapter 11 is pure folly outside of it. They are ruining this company. And all we do is post messages on the internet. And Siegel feeds his ego claiming the problems are anything but his management. Truly a shame.

mr

I disagree. Roddey is an egomanic who had to say something just to hear himself talk.

While US did not make money, all the plans they laid out did not have the company making a profit until 2005.

N6,

I guess with your logic , everyone just made money, in spite of themselves.....

The economy is improving, so is the industry. U had projected a profit LAST quarter of 2004. However, these were only projections made from when we were still in BK and a pending war was imminent.

No excuse.

You are correct on both counts 628. But the forecast of no profit until 2005 was based on passenger loads WELL below where they are. This airline did not predict the return of the passengers so soon. Remember the "Iraq pay deferral". Siegel had no leg to stand on when traffic resumed and thus our money came back to us.

The passenger loads are WELL above their forecasts and they are now realizing how foolhardy their original plan was. If it wasn't, why the new cry about the LCC's and our costs being too high. It is because they thought the LCC's would mind their own business. But our history on the West Coast and Baltimore should have given them a clue where we were headed. But no, they counted on gouging the business traveler once again. Surprise Davey boy. Running an airline isn't a mathematical model or theory. It requires insight, motivation, leadership and thinking outside the box. Tell me 628, have you seen any of those qualities in this management team?

Our problem is in CCY. If we can solve that we can become successful. If not, this airline will be split up piece by piece so Bronner can get his investment back. And Dave will walk away with a golden parachute that we will all choke on.

mr

mrplanes,

Please don't get my post wrong and assume I think that CCY is doind a bang-up job. They take one step forward (Carribean Expansion), and then three steps back every time (Airbus outsourcing, continued brow beating of employees, parking aircraft while traffic increases).

Bronner will not see his investment returned to him should this place be broken up and sold in pieces. We don't really own anything anymore that is worth any value, I think even the lighted wands used at night are leased, LOL. One can argue our slots have value, but I think the Feds would probably come in and take them for the ATSB loan guarantee and auction them off the highest bidders.

PitBull,

No, I am not using that logic. The minds at Fort Fumble continue to stick to a plan of cry "The sky is falling", to bilk every last dollar out the workforce. They will never let this place show a profit until they get what they want. I don't know if they do it intentionally, but I cannot believe that so many could be so incompetent in such high levels and have gotten to where they are.

They want to cut costs, that is fine, but I agree that the concession stand is closed! There are things I would agree to, starting first and foremost with early retirement packages. This place will never be cost competitive with a top of payscale workforce while the competition like WN and B6 use growth to keep an influx of new hires and not face the issues with such a senior workforce. You may know, but I am curious as to what the average employee length of service is around here.

Getting back to the thread at hand, who the hell cares what Roddey says anyway? He has no more insight into what is going on than we do, and he has his own axe to grind. The next thing you know, they will quote this guy as an industry analyst or something. Let's face it, he is nothing more than a low level local politician, who got tossed out of office.

N628AU said:
I disagree. Roddey is an egomanic who had to say something just to hear himself talk.

While US did not make money, all the plans they laid out did not have the company making a profit until 2005.
Which brings up a point. If dave himself, back in the day, said his plan would not bring U to profitability until 2004, what's with the big rush for more concessions?

I mean, he said it his own self!

Doc:

Doc said: "Too much going on with US Airways to read to much into this article. I believe Pitt. Is being held hostage waiting on a whole bunch of contingencies. It is going to be a wait and see. Just my humble opinion."

Chip answers: Doc, you're correct. Moreover, the PIT hub negotiations are being held hostage by United's problems and the Chicago-based airlines exit financing. Roddey does not know what's truly happening behind the scenes.

Regards,

Chip

Chip Munn said:
Chip answers: Doc, you're correct. Moreover, the PIT hub negotiations are being held hostage by United's problems and the Chicago-based airlines exit financing. Roddey does not know what's truly happening behind the scenes.
In what recognized publication can I read about the PIT leases being held hostage?

And, in that same vein, do you really think that you (a US line pilot) know more about what is happening that the guy who was leading the negotiations for the county and state with CCY?

Reality check at 11.

well how long is US going to be held up that it is unable to continue talks with PIT. I mean it's less than a month to go until the lease expires and it seems like nothing is going on. Is US going to wait till the last minute and make a deal just like they did to get themselves in this mess? Or will they just continue to be held up until it's to late?

usairways85 said:
well how long is US going to be held up that it is unable to continue talks with PIT. I mean it's less than a month to go until the lease expires and it seems like nothing is going on. Is US going to wait till the last minute and make a deal just like they did to get themselves in this mess? Or will they just continue to be held up until it's to late?
My psychic was reading my palm and looking through her cystal ball and rubbing the bumps on my head..........and here's what she said.................and I quote:

I see the clock ticking and with only 20 mintues remaining, you will see Mr. Seigel come running out of his office waving his arms maddly above his head and shouting............OK I GIVE IN, YOU WIN PIT!! I WILL EVEN BRING BACK ALL MAINLINE FLYING SINCE SOUTHWEST IS GOING TO DESTROY US IN PHILLY!!!
OH WHY DIDN"T SOMEONE TELL ME THIS JOB WAS GOING TO BE SO STRESSFUL!

:D :p

PineyBob said:
I hate politicians that waste money on such ego trips as a security detail the likes of the one employed by Jim Roddey.
Well, he is a Republican in Pittsburgh. When I lived there, all 11 of us had a security detail..... :D