Rough Summer Is on the Way for Air Travel

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/business...a8c9&ei=5087%0A
And at the end of the shift, a gate agent "shows up in my office and says, 'I'm whacked out,' " Mr. Hutchinson said. He refers some workers to mental health professionals, and offers others strategies for coping: Take a couple of deep breaths; go vent to a co-worker.
It's impossible to measure air rage accurately, but most experts think there is more of it these days. Joyce A. Hunter, a former Sara Nelson Dela Cruz, a United flight attendant and union official, said a lot of senior flight attendants schedule vacations "so they don't have to work the summer crowds."
"The airlines, federal government, general public need to sit down collectively and find a way to get the transportation system back in order," he said. "I've never seen it this bad."
http://cwa-union.org/search.jsp?query=airp...it=Submit+Query
US Airways Agents Speak Out on Staff Cuts, Air Rage

Deep staff cuts among airport and reservation agents at US Airways are hurting customer service, according to a scientific survey of 400 agents commissioned by CWA.
The survey is intended to focus management's attention on staffing and other problems facing airline workers, including airport rage.
Overall, 88 percent of agents agreed that "we are understaffed and as a result, passenger service suffers." Among airport agents, 41 percent tied staff cuts to service problems and 51 percent said that more staff was needed to improve service.
Reservations agents maintained that both cuts in staff and limited time to spend with callers resulted in poorer quality service. Nearly a third stressed the need for more time with customers.
Some 5,000 passenger service jobs have been cut at US Airways over the past two years.
Meanwhile, airport rage and abusive attacks on agents have increased. CWA local officers representing agents have been meeting monthly with US Airways management to discuss the workers' critical concerns.
But Tina Perry, president of CWA Local 13301 in Philadelphia, is concerned that US Airways management isn't giving airport rage the attention it deserves.
"Management insists that rage is a 'non-problem' that can be handled by calling the police, having a manager step in, or 'walking away,'" Perry said.
Other US Airways local officers have said managements' solutions don't work in real life and cited numerous examples of customers behaving in an out-of-control manner. Worse yet is management's policy of siding with irate passengers, they said.
Managers don't have any specific training to handle rage incidents, and Perry said many managers leave the scene so they won't be required to "step in."
CWA is pushing for the language in federal airport rage law, adopted by Congress after an active legislative campaign by CWA, to be posted at all airports. CWA is also calling on US Airways to provide training for managers on the law and intervention.
Almost half of all airport agents, 49 percent, reported seeing or experiencing an airport rage incident within the past six months. Almost as many, 48 percent, point to an increase in customer complaints and an increase in passenger wait times to check in, delays that can provoke customer rage.
Reservations agents reported high volumes of callers waiting to speak with an agent, with 32 saying that on an average day they have 51 to 100 callers waiting for assistance. Another 28 percent said they have twice that, between 101 and 200 callers waiting.
CWA won a big victory in its drive to gain federal protections for airline passenger service agents who are increasingly threatened by passengers and “airport rage” as they carry out their security duties.

Alfred Kahn, the Father of Deregulation of the Airline Industry, should be proud of what he created.

It took almost 30 years and the events of 9/11 but what is occuring now is exactly what the architects of deregulation intended. Oh, along the way it cost thousands of airline jobs, the failure of incumbent and start up airlines, and a change in the way consumers and airlines do business.

Southwest used to be proud of the fact that they got people out of their cars for trips and on to their LUV jets. But the time comsuming barriers of TSA screening and arriving early enough to complete the airport protocols of parking, processing, screeening and boarding are putting people back in their cars again. Even though now it may be cheaper to fly than buy gas for your car.

Who knows where we are headed next. As a front line employee, I recommend summer air travelers fly early in the day before the thunderstorms and delays build. Buy some healthy snacks and some bottled water, charge up your cell phones and I-pods and be patient. Happy Flying!

Nothing has changed, just take care of them One at a time that's all that you can do. The only difference today is the lower rate of pay. Before you were willing to take more Crap since you were getting paid well to deal with it. Today you still have the same amount to deal with, but you are getting paid less to do it. :blink:
I was working the gates in EWR when the PATCO strike began, and that was about as bad as it gets. Once you go thru an event like that, everything else is no big deal. :shock:

now Im going to add insult to injury.
With the impending summer travel, sked or whomever has decided to replace the only mainline jet with a 70 seater!
Yes, that makes sense to me.. :down:

AM Clt flights SO FAR have been oversold!

Lets give more and more RTFC's Away , instead of keeping a single mainline jet...

What world are we living in?
Is it still the Middle Ages?
Where are all the Barberiens?

now Im going to add insult to injury.
With the impending summer travel, sked or whomever has decided to replace the only mainline jet with a 70 seater!
Yes, that makes sense to me.. :down:

AM Clt flights SO FAR have been oversold!

Lets give more and more RTFC's Away , instead of keeping a single mainline jet...

What world are we living in?
Is it still the Middle Ages?
Where are all the Barberiens?
cle is set to lose another flight in august...5p to phx....usually always booked 80 percent full...our DM/FF will be ticked!!! Lets go and give all of the revenue to CO-they have a 5P flight to PHX...and whatever they can not handle---SWA will scoop up....dunno who is in scheduling but boy, is this a major screwup!!!

cle is set to lose another flight in august...5p to phx....usually always booked 80 percent full...our DM/FF will be ticked!!! Lets go and give all of the revenue to CO-they have a 5P flight to PHX...and whatever they can not handle---SWA will scoop up....dunno who is in scheduling but boy, is this a major screwup!!!

Sched director is some guy named Finn. He has no clue how to operate the East sched where weather, traffic delays are on a regular basis. U let go and didn't offer/retain the job as Director to the greatest, most talented Scheduling Director of all time... a 28 year airline veteran, Rob Fuhr.

As I viewed who they sought fit to retain and who they let go, was a sure indicator of "stupid is as stupid does".

I suspect major excuses from Tempe this summer for delays, weather, crews shortages etc...to protect their 'homey'.

President Reagan fired more than 11,000 air-traffic controllers when they went on strike in 1981 after PATCO refused to return to work.
For all practical purposes, the FAA holds all of the cards. The best the union can do is appeal its case to the public
or VOTE Democrat

First one out of the gate with excuse...predicting delays and blaming the ATC who are over worked and underpaid.
Are they really, though? Some interesting quotes from the article:

"he FAA is trying to rein in wages that it says have become excessive under a 1998 contract reached during the Clinton administration"

Seems that whoever in this country voted Democrat in 1992 and 1996 would have brought on the current "excessive" wages.

Another interesting tidbit:
" Blakey has said her proposal would cut pay 30 percent for new hires, who would earn $93,000 a year excluding benefits after five years on the job. Annual pay for current controllers would rise 9.4 percent over five years to $140,000 a year, from $128,000 now, excluding benefits, she has said."

Those don't seem like paltry wages. Especially compared to what new pilots at regionals make in the first 5 years. Overworked? Maybe. But there are mandated maximum hours and mandated breaks. Maybe they wouldn't be so "overworked" if the airlines put fewer, larger planes in the skies......

I'm a huge fan of the FAA and think they do an outstanding job with what they're given. But at the end of the day, they are a government entity and have limited funds. I think a near 10% raise over 5 years, at their current salaries, isn't so bad. Especially considering the benefits.

PitBull,

Mike Finn, like Rob Fuhr before him, is the Director of Crew Scheduling. Also like Rob, he has nothing to do with the creation of the airline schedule, which is set by the marketing department.

Agree that Rob was about the best there was.

PHL,

Government with limited funds??? You wouldn't think so with their spending hundreds of billions of $$ and human life with no end in sight on a war they now justify for the sake of "democracy";which IRAQ people never asked for!Heck, IRAN is next.

Being that Aviation is important to world commerece and OUR infrastructure...

Personally, I think the ATC are worth their weight in gold...they deal with hundreds of flights in a day...one example comes to mind quickly, and that is on Sept 11, they landed all aircraft commercial and private(including international) in approx. 60 minutes when ordered by National security, and WITHOUT incident. There wasn't a plane in the sky. That's pretty damn amazing in a nation like ours. Can't put a $$ amount on that!

I don't think the flying public would support or appreciate a huge attrition rate in the ATC arena, nor support a quibble about ATC duty days, salaries, and vacation being decreased.

And unlike the pilot groups, ATC know their value.