RSW double diversion

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Because of weather (T-storms) Monday's flt 251 PHL-MIA wound up diveting to RSW twice! Ouch!

US Airways Flight 251

Monday, May 15, 2006
Departure
Arrival
Airport: Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Airport: Fort Myers Rsw, FL (RSW)
Scheduled Time
11:45am
Scheduled Time:
Not Available
Actual Time
12:04pm
Actual Time:
5:45pm
See comments below
Gate:C26

Gate:
Not Available
Aircraft:Boeing 737-400
Baggage Claim
Not Available
Comments: The flight is operating behind schedule due to air traffic congestion affecting a prior flight. This flight was scheduled to operate from Hartford Sprngfld, CT to Philadelphia, PA to Miami Interntnl, FL. It has been rerouted to Fort Myers Rsw, FL. For information about your party please contact US Airways Reservations at (800) 428-4322.

US Airways Flight 251

Monday, May 15, 2006
Departure

Arrival
Airport: Fort Myers Rsw, FL (RSW) Airport: Miami Interntnl, FL (MIA)
Scheduled Time:
Not Available
Scheduled Time:
2:34pm
Actual Time:
7:20pm
See comments below
Actual Time:
8:00pm
Gate:
Comments: This flight was scheduled to operate from Hartford Sprngfld, CT to Philadelphia, PA to Miami Interntnl, FL. It has been rerouted to Fort Myers Rsw, FL. Due to weather conditions moving through the Miami Interntnl, FL area some flight arrivals in Miami Interntnl, FL have been delayed. For information about your party please contact US Airways Reservations at (800) 428-4322.This flight arrived in Miami Interntnl, FL at 8:00pm.

heck, i was working flt 312 sdq-fll yesterday and had to divert to rsw for refueling due to t/s in fll.

i also saw a lanchile 767 parked at our gates in fll . iam assuming it was a mia diversion.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago ALB-PHL. When we got to PHL there was freezing rain, so we circled, and then had to go to clear PIT for fuel. Some people were pulled off the plane for alternate connections (who knows what happened to their luggage). I was surprised that we were allowed to remain on the plane for refueling. Pilot informs us that we have a slot again for PHL which is clear. We take off, only to have freezing rain hit PHL again. We run low on fuel and go back to PIT. A few more people taken off the plane for alternate connections. FA tells me that for short hops they can't put too much fuel on plane or it will be too heavy to land. So on our third try we make it in. I get home at 2am ultimately instead of 7pm.

It was amazing to see the scurry of activity during refueling at PIT as GA came on the plane to make the best they could of trying to get folks connected through PIT, and they did a fabulous job.