Rumor Central:awa To Buy 757's-hnl Routes From Ata

If AWA wants to fly to Hawaii so badly then it should approach this opportunity to ask where it wants to be in 5 or 10 years? Does it want to only fly A319/310 & 757 or does it wants to fly beyond the Americas? Boeing 7E7 should be part of the future. AWA should buy wide-bodied airplanes that can fly to Hawaii & beyond.

How about daily service to London? That's the kind of future I want. Service from the Southwest to Europe doesn't exist except for BA's PHX to LHR service. LAX, DFW, ORD & JFK shouldn't be the handover points for Arizona's international passengers. AWA should have in its strategic plan to fly to London, Paris, Tokyo & points in Central and South America by 2010. 7E7 is the airplane to get AWA there.

JFK777 said:
If AWA wants to fly to Hawaii so badly then it should approach this opportunity to ask where it wants to be in 5 or 10 years?
[post="186818"][/post]​

I have the gut feeling they are doing that and assessing the options and possibilities. Doug Parker tends to be conservative in what informatoion he releases, for example his forecast announcements regarding profit and loss numbers, etc. He seems to at least occassionally try to underpromise and overdeliver, which is far better then the opposite of overpromising and then underdelivering.

I suspect he is treading carefully through the waters of the "new" era of the airline business.

The 7E7 sounds like a great airplane on paper, but until they are built and we see what the fuel burn and the dispatch rate is gonna be, I am not gonna call it a savior. I remember all the hype about the MD11 being the next great thing for airlines.

Plus, the E7 is gonna cost a whole lot of dough. I'd rather see the 767 or the A330, for commonaility.

Lots of 767-300ER around, AWA can fly to London by June 2005. A300-200 from the dessert heat of Phx to London, sounds to me very physically challenged. AWA needs to cross the ATLANTIC.

My feeling is that ATA would probably want to unload all their 757-300 and I don't know if AWA wants all 13(?) of them. It would double their 757 fleet and would open a lot of capacity on some routes. I wonder what routes can handle an increase 50 seats over the current 757-200's.

When analysts have questioned AWA's use multiple fleet types, vs. some other airlines that have just one, the response from AWA management has been that when everything is factored in (including AWA's same pilot pay no matter the plane), then having another fleet type can justify the extra costs at roughly two dozen planes. And they've admitted that the 757 subfleet doesn't meet that standard.

In my mind, if AWA were to add 757s, it would be looking for enough ships to get to that point.

Routes for -300, I'd put one on San Jose CR, one on Cancun, add them to MIA, FLL and MCO, put one up to MSP in the winter, put some on some usually full cities like SEA or ATL or IND, and free up some 37's or A320s to put on routes that the lawn darts (RJ's) are on, like MEM.

AWA is still around 12 months from getting ETOPS approval no matter what airplanes it uses. (source: VP Flight Ops last May)

Considering the 3Q results and talk of scaling back expansion, wouldn't it be more prudent to spend the money in-house instead of chasing market share?

Latest posts

Back