Rumor Looking For Corroboration

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
Has anyone else heard anything concrete, or verifiable, regarding these rumors?

The USAirways Training Department has been working on a pilot operations manual addition of "Theater of Operations - South America" for some time. This is true, but I've heard that recently this project was given fast-track status. Anyone know if the recent upgrade to fast-track part is true? If so, why?

Also from the training department: We should look for 3 A330 aircraft (used, not the 2007 Airbus order) to arrive on USAirways property shortly. Anyone?

And immediately following the arrival, Dave Siegel will announce that 3 Boeing 733's will be parked because there can never again be over 279 A/C in the "mainline" fleet.

Of course, those A/C are probably ones that serve routes like PIT-BUF, CLT-SAV, etc., and will be replaced by "spacious, 2-class RJ's"

:rolleyes:

I think the number one reason to believe that it isn't true is that management hasn't started to use them as some sort of leverage to get more from the labor groups, especially pilots. You know as well as I that if something like this were coming anytime soon (maybe even not soon, look at how long the "carrot" of MDA J4J is taking) that they would be looking at making all the worker bees pay for them somehow. :blink:

Oldiebutgoody is right, they would bend you over in some sinister way before doing anything that could be construed as throwing a bone.

If this did happen, there absolutely would be some 73s parked... they wont go over that minimum mainline even for a day...

However, I'd rather see larger aircraft at the mainline- they require more staffing (flight attendants, utility, gate agents etc). From a marketing standpoint, the customers love the A330 in U's configuration and they would be expanding the route system, which we badly need to do.

This is very interesting. UA currently only has 4 cities left in deep South America, served with 3 flights I believe. Buenos Aires & Montevideo as 1 flight, Rio de Janiero a 2nd and Sao Paolo a 3rd. There is more than enough range for the 330 to do these from CLT. If this does come true, then I think the Tulip is not going to survive the winter.

While a member of the US Airways Ambassador program under Seth Schofield's tenure, I attended a marketing briefing.

The Marketing Department was lead by Tom LaGow and Bob Fornaro who said US Airways had one of the best networks for South American expansion due to its route network.

The other hub and spoke carriers have an east-west route structure, but US Airways' is north-south. If you look at East Coast U.S. citizen demographics, there is a large Hispanic segment living in the northeast corridor down to Miami that creates a natural extension into the Caribbean, Central America, and into South America.

US Airways has been methodically increasing its Caribbean and Central American expansion and at some point I expect the company to expand further south.

In regard to the 279 fleet count, I expect the mainline fleet count to remain static, unless there is some type of corporate transaction.

In addition, although I suspect we would see A330s versus B767s, SpeedNews.com just reported United Airlines has posted 18 767-222s as available for sale. Six aircraft are available for immediate sale, while the remaining twelve will be available for sale as they retire from United Airline's schedule over the next 15 months.

Respectfully,

Chip

Just what this airline would need, another B767 variant with a different engine. I am sure the UA 767-200 fleet is at least as worn in the tooth as ours, and the last thing we need is additional engine type. The same reason we will not get any 757 or A320 aircraft that RSA holds paper on for UA.

phllax said:
This is very interesting. UA currently only has 4 cities left in deep South America, served with 3 flights I believe. Buenos Aires & Montevideo as 1 flight, Rio de Janiero a 2nd and Sao Paolo a 3rd. There is more than enough range for the 330 to do these from CLT. If this does come true, then I think the Tulip is not going to survive the winter.
Just to clarify... UA's current South American services are (all daily):

MIA-GRU (777)
MIA-EZE (777)
ORD-GRU (777)
IAD-GRU (767-300)
IAD-EZE (767-300)
EZE-MVD (767-300)
GRU-GIG (767-300)

I might be forgetting one or two but I think that is all. And the equipment is from memory so if I got one wrong I will stand corrected.

Chip Munn said:
In addition, although I suspect we would see A330s versus B767s, SpeedNews.com just reported United Airlines has posted 18 767-222s as available for sale. Six aircraft are available for immediate sale, while the remaining twelve will be available for sale as they retire from United Airline's schedule over the next 15 months.
Ugh, I sure hope not. Those 767's are old as dirt. They're the first 767's ever built, back in 1982/3, making them considerably older than even US's existing 767's. While I can see this management possibly not caring about that, a bigger problem is that their engines don't match ours, so I really don't see this happening.

Oh, and while I definitely see the fleet remaining at exactly 279, I don't think they'd park 737's to get it there. With this management, you have to imagine they'd park A319's...specifically the ones due for their heavy checks. :down:

Chip Munn said:

Respectfully,

Chip
Guys,

Remember way back.... :huh:

Dave said.." We are going to one type of wide-body aircraft" :down:

Why hasn't this happened yet..??? Maybe this is the opportunity Dave has been waiting on..?? <_<

I think Dave should take them to court and make the judge GIVE US THE A/C...!! Heck, it's worked for everything else he's wanted...!!!

The courtroom is Dave's negotiations table...!! :angry: :angry:

I would be surprised to see US Airways add B767s and/or B757s to the fleet plan, unless Bronner forces the decision.

There are relatively new A330 and A320 family aircraft in the used market, with possibly some of United's A320 aircraft available for sale now that the company has begun selling more assets (B747s, B767s, & LHR slots).

Respectfully,

Chip

Chip Munn said:
I would be surprised to see US Airways add B767s and/or B757s to the fleet plan, unless Bronner forces the decision.

There are relatively new A330s and A320 family aircraft on the used market, with possibly some of United's A320 aircraft available for sale now that the company has begun selling more assets (B747s, B767s, & LHR slots).

Respectfully,

Chip
Good point about Bronner. I could see U getting UAL's old airplanes which RSA has leases on, just to keep Bronner from taking a hit on the leases. Unfortunately, it would probably be at the expense of newer, better airplanes.

Chip,

US will not add any UA A320 family aircraft, regardless if Bronner holds paper on them or not. They do not have the same engine type and would further errode fleet commonality, which with the change in Shuttle equipment configuration, seems to still be a company priority.

N628AU said:
Chip,

US will not add any UA A320 family aircraft, regardless if Bronner holds paper on them or not. They do not have the same engine type and would further errode fleet commonality, which with the change in Shuttle equipment configuration, seems to still be a company priority.
This is yet another reason why I doubt that US would pick up any of the UA 767-200's. They are MUCH older than the ones already on the property, and are powered by P&W rather than GE. Also, they were not built to ETOPS standards but were converted-they began life as base 767-222's.