Rumors

TWAnr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
From AAStewPot:
Can anyone confirm the following?

1. Senior f/a's at LAX-D and IOR are flying as much as 120 hours/mo to pump up their pension service hours in preparation for retirement.
2. Base Manager at ORD furious that most or all of the OVL returnees that are based at ORD called in sick over the 4th holiday.
3. Base Manager at BOS fired and put in jail for unspecified illegal acts.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Indeed, inquiring minds want to know. Unspecified illegal acts? I thought AA took the cameras out of the A/C after the Miami incident?

I am curious about a story I heard in LAX.

The rumor at work is that there was a damaged A/C in LAX. Maintenance placed speed tape on the damaged section. I am assuming it was visible from inside the A/C. 1 or more of the FA’s got “spooked and everyone walked off the a/c because they were “scaredâ€￾.

I am curious if the FA’s thought we had some suicidal pilots who were going to fly the plane? Anyone else hear anything about these half wits?

AA flies damaged aircraft every day.We have a document called the [ADL] Aircraft Damage Log which documents the damage location,type, and extent of the damage.The ADL's are monitored at periodic intervals which also includes a dye penetrant inspection. This allows lots of aircraft damage to be deferred to a "C" Check for the proper repairs.

In 18+ years at AA I have never seen a SERIOUSLY DAMAGED aircraft put into service INTENTIONALLY. The overwhelming majority of people involved in the decision making process care because we and our families fly on the same aircraft.

This is one of the positive aspects of AA management making good decisions when aircraft damage is involved.

goingboeing said:
AA flies damaged aircraft every day.We have a document called the [ADL] Aircraft Damage Log which documents the damage location,type, and extent of the damage.The ADL's are monitored at periodic intervals which also includes a dye penetrant inspection. This allows lots of aircraft damage to be deferred to a "C" Check for the proper repairs.

In 18+ years at AA I have never seen a SERIOUSLY DAMAGED aircraft put into service INTENTIONALLY. The overwhelming majority of people involved in the decision making process care because we and our families fly on the same aircraft.

This is one of the positive aspects of AA management making good decisions when aircraft damage is involved.
That's what I thought. I just want to know why those FA's were allowed to walk with out any punitive action taken (as far as I am aware).

I'll see if I can find out what flight it was when I go back to work.

Goingboeing 's got it right. Not only are the mechs committed to safety, we all are mindful of the FAA and their investigations. Maintenance management is also aware of the attention of the FAA after an incident.

If a captain has any question or doubt, he can discuss it with tech services, dispatch, or engineering. Some placards must be made with the captain's and/or the dispatcher's approval. And a captain can refuse an aircraft. FAs do not have the right of refusal on any MEL , PDL or GMM items, nor can they refuse an airplane.

Wretched Wrench said:
FAs do not have the right of refusal on any MEL , PDL or GMM items, nor can they refuse an airplane.
I have every confidence in AA maintenance, as I did with TWA. But I do think that before the FA's are called "half-wits" the incident should be investigated to see if it actually occurred, and if so just what the circumstances were.

MK

Is there any chance this thread could get answers to the original questions without being hijacked by another issue? Gar, go start your own thread if all you want to do is run down flight attendants. I am disappointed.

Wretched Wrench said:
Goingboeing 's got it right. Not only are the mechs committed to safety, we all are mindful of the FAA and their investigations. Maintenance management is also aware of the attention of the FAA after an incident.

If a captain has any question or doubt, he can discuss it with tech services, dispatch, or engineering. Some placards must be made with the captain's and/or the dispatcher's approval. And a captain can refuse an aircraft. FAs do not have the right of refusal on any MEL , PDL or GMM items, nor can they refuse an airplane.
Thats true but it cant hurt to give them a brief explanation as to what the damage is and why its Ok to continue to operate the aircraft in that condition.

Just because they have no say in the process it does not mean that they dont deserve the right to be informed. Every time they go up their lives are at risk too.

However the cockpit crew should be the one to explain it to them.

Did anyone get information if the original rumor had been answered. How many did call in sick?

I have confirmed that the rumor about the BOS Base Manager is NOT TRUE. The regional manager wanted to bring in his own people; so, the Base Manager was offered the opportunity to look for another job at AA outside of Flight Service. No word on whether she was successful or has decided to look for work outside of AA.

jimntx said:
The regional manager wanted to bring in his own people; so, the Base Manager was offered the opportunity to look for another job at AA outside of Flight Service.
Hmmmmmmmm.................good story.

I remember a newscaster who offered the "story behind the story".

What/How actually did all 3 of those rumors do to help/hurt anyone.
This was a waste of posting space.
(mine included).

We can also discount at least part of Rumor #1. I heard from a friend at LAX. High time flying is not anymore than usual there. In fact, one of the trip trade services was complaining about how hard it was becoming to get anyone to pick up trips!

Latest posts