Rumours of 22 new routes to Latin America and Caribbean in next 11 mo.

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Someone on Flyertalk posted this a little while ago:

Significant Short Haul Latin American/Carribean Expansion Coming

Been leaked details (that I'm not allowed to post specifically) of 22 new routes into Latin America and the Caribbean starting within the next 11 months. They fill some very nice business holes in the system and add some nice leisure options as well. From all the hubs as well as focus cities and two random odd balls that have never seen international service on AA. All are narrow-body equipment of varying types. A couple CR9s in there too.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1686802-significant-short-haul-latin-american-carribean-expansion-coming.html

When yields and unit revenues in Latin America are falling, might as well double down and try to make it up in volume. :D

weakness in Latin America is centered around Venezuela, Brazil, and Argentina. Much of the "northern half" of Latin America is relatively healthy.

AA could very well start a bunch of new routes esp. to/from leisure destinations. The problem is that the new market opportunities are far less premium focused and also do not require the widebody aircraft that AA does not need right now for Argentina and Brazil flying.

AA also recognizes the threat that the LCCs pose with their growth including from FLL and AA will be in as much of it as it can.

I'm wondering if the OP of that thread mis-heard, and that it's actually Southwest that's planning to begin 22 new routes.

FWAAA said:
I'm wondering if the OP of that thread mis-heard, and that it's actually Southwest that's planning to begin 22 new routes.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I don't think 22 routes is unthinkable for AA.  There are multiple markets in the Caribbean, Central and northern South America (BQN, TAB, DOM, CTG, PEI) that seem at least plausible from MIA with the A319 and/or EMB175, plus multiple easily-imaginable seasonal/weekend flights from strong AA markets (RDU, PIT, BNU, WAS) to beach destinations like CUN, NAS and/or SJU.  And if the liberalized U.S.-Mexico bilateral comes into effect, it's not hard to imagine markets like JFK-MEX or LAX-PVR, either.

Reactions: 1 person
Well we know what at least one of these hypothetical/rumored 22 new Latin America routes is - AA applied for 5x weekly DFW-UIO today:

DFW 1725 2335 UIO
UIO 0042 0705 DFW

A319, proposed to start December 2015.

The U.S.-Quito bilateral has dozens of available frequencies, so the application should be largely a formality.

since UIO is well within the range of WN's HOU hub and UA flies it from IAH (and CO did for years before), it makes sense for AA to get into the market.