Rumours Persist Top Reservation Director Making

Aug 23, 2002
Its not bad enough that US taxpayer money for the bailout to USAIRWAYS is going to a Singapore Company, who owns the suspect maintenance facility in Alabama, trying to work on U aircraft....I'm surprised the US government doesn't require work done with "US taxpayer money", to be paid to American owned companies, with American workers...

Now rumours persist that a high company official with Res has been making trips to Manilla, Phillipines.... Probably trying to find anyone who can speak English and will work for .50 cents an hour, working on Chairman Preferred reservations...

Many people complaining that USAIRWAYS Dot Com isn't working.....Is not user friendly...kicks them out...

Over 250 calls on hold Sunday night....Company paying overtime to agents rather than hire some new agents at the bottom of the scale....I guess Delta & Southwest will get the overflow of sales calls, and the USairways frequent flyers will hold for 45 minutes to get their "free" award tickets...

Interesting to know that the Southwest Airlines Reservation agents are unionized, pay more than USAIRWAYS , have better benefits than USAIRWAYS and can make a profit...I wonder why?

I wonder how much money the company would save by relocating the USAIRWAYS offices to a lower rental area, besides Crystal City...

Just some food for thought...
:blink:

She was supposedly there a month ago.

Didn't you hear the latest? INT agnts were saying some were deployed to create 5000 furlough packets for PIT employees.

I have heard the old saying about "putting all your eggs in one basket"....So, I guess U will put all their eggs in 2 baskets: Philadelphia & Charlotte....

It will be interesting when the "bad" winter weather hits next winter....With just Philly & Charlotte to support the whole airline including International flights......

So, if Southwest kicks U out of Phila like they did Baltimore...That leaves Charlotte for Southwest to attack if U is still around...

:down:

This was posted back on March 18

/index.php...=0&#entry122300

Internet: www.avstar-ph.com

Avstar International Named General Sales Agent for US Airways;
Provides Expanded Sales Reach In The Philippines

MANILA - AvStar International has been tapped by US Airways as its General Sales Agent in the Philippines.

Mr. Jonathan Newman –Market Manager – Offline Sales of US Airways made the announcement to the travel trade and media during an official launch party here at the Westin Philippine Plaza Hotel.

US Airways is the United States’s seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 destinations in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day.

AvStar International provides General Sales Agency (GSA) services to a select group of non-competitive travel industry accounts in the Philippines and is a joint venture between AvStar International, Inc. of Los Angeles and a group of leading Philippine businessmen, headed by Mr. Mariano Cacho, Jr.

AvStar International’s Manila office is located at G/F Heart Tower Condominium, 108 Valero Street, Sacedo Village, Makati City, Philippines 1200.

The company’s new telephone number is (632) 812-1978 or (632) 817-4797 or via fax at (632) 815-6392.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm slow. Does this mean U is thinking about farming out res to the Phillipines? And where did you hear about the 500 furlough packets at INT. Seems suspicious that they would do that, and not tell PIT first. Because they had to know that INT would let the cat out of the bag. Does anyone know any more?

EyeInTheSky said:
This was posted back on March 18

/index.php...=0&#entry122300

Internet: www.avstar-ph.com

Avstar International Named General Sales Agent for US Airways;
Provides Expanded Sales Reach In The Philippines
{snip}
Guys, this press release does not mean that RES is being outsourced to the Phillipines. It simply means that U will be using Avstar to sell their product (airline seats in the U.S.) in the Phillipines. It saves U having to have a sales team there, and set up all the infrastructure that would be needed--offices, computers, clerical help, etc.

Was talking to some gate agents in Charlotte this morning once the gate readers are installed they plan on laying off 69 agents.

You will no longer be able to check in at the gates when the plane is boarding as they only plan on having the agent stand at the door for boarding and not man the podium, what great customer service our airline will give our passengers.

I suspect that with the addition of gate readers, they will re-align the podiums to have (CLT) 1 or 2 agents check-in for several gates at the same time while the door agents do the boarding and closing flights. Similar to what was done in DCA in years past at the Interim Terminal. Customer Service will surely slip even further. But your guess is as good as mine.

PineyBob said:
It's really a non issue 700UW, I've flown on airlines that use the readers and ones that haven't. As far as the customer service part of it goes most won't notice a drop-off.
I'll bet those most directly impacted will notice an immediate drop-off. :down:

I guess the company is gonna lose what remaining perferred members that are left now with that move, if it is true....

Ya gotta have some customer service to run an airline...

Seems to me the podium counter served the customer wanted to try to: go standby, do upgrades especially perferred members, assist passengers with rule 240 issues/ cancelled & delayed flights, unacompanied minors, pax with dissabilities, etc....

You can't only plan on things going perfect in the airline business when you deal with all the issues....Especially in the Northeast...Are passengers with those issues supposed to go back out to the ticket counter....And you know if they have one agent to work the door there are going to be early or late arrivals with the agent working one door, when he is needed at another door....

Boy, I bet the Star Alliance members are gonna be "thrilled to fly" on USairways and find someone in the gate area to get assistance...Probably will be a short term member in the alliance...

Even other low fare type carriers like Southwest have agents to give some customer service...and you wonder why it is not profitable at U?

Also curious about something I saw last week while flying UA. They had 4 agents working 1 flight. Not sure if some were "helping" another gate or what, but I thought it was odd. 1 at the reader, 2 at the podium and 1 girl just standing there doing? We did have 3 agents working the flight in PIT I got on, but it was a 767 going to PHL (from the INTL area) so figured that might have had something to do with it. Havent seen a flight with that many agents in a while.