S80 Lights question

Garfield1966

Veteran
Apr 7, 2003
Texas
OK, Been wondering about this for a while. I saw a S80 coming in tonight and it was lit up like a X-mass tree. What are the lights on the side of the fuselage that seem to shine straight out to the side of the aircraft? They do not seem to be on any other A/C that I have seen or if they are they are not as obvious or as bright. I thought I counted about 3 or 4 of them running forward of the win to the front hatch. What gives?

OK, Been wondering about this for a while. I saw a S80 coming in tonight and it was lit up like a X-mass tree. What are the lights on the side of the fuselage that seem to shine straight out to the side of the aircraft? They do not seem to be on any other A/C that I have seen or if they are they are not as obvious or as bright. I thought I counted about 3 or 4 of them running forward of the win to the front hatch. What gives?

Wing illumination lights...They shine on the wings/leading edges so the crew, if necessary, can see Ice forming on the wing.

Wing illumination lights...They shine on the wings/leading edges so the crew, if necessary, can see Ice forming on the wing.

And forward of the wing illumination light on the fuselage is the ground flood light which shines at about a 45 degree angle forward to assist the pilot when turning during taxi.