SAFETY OVERSIGHT

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
Southwest says it missed the inspections as in inadvertent oversight. The carrier voluntarily self-reported the incident and completed the required inspections within 10 days of doing so, according to the Journal. As for the inspections, the Journal says "six of the 46 affected aircraft turned out to have cracks -- some as long as four inches -- in the fuselage, according to one person familiar with details." The Journal adds that no accidents or incidents resulted from the problem.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...nterstitialskip

It Gets Better. 117 Aircraft and has now sparked a "congressional hearing" Ooooo!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- -- Discount air carrier Southwest Airlines flew thousands of passengers on aircraft that federal inspectors said were "unsafe" as recently as last March, according to detailed congressional documents obtained by CNN.

Article Deleted by Moderator--

NOTE: You may NOT post entire articles without express written permission of the author.

Please edit this post to insert a link to the article if you wish it to be read.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- --

Discount air carrier Southwest Airlines flew thousands of passengers on aircraft that federal inspectors said were "unsafe" as recently as last March, according to detailed congressional documents obtained by CNN.

ARTICLE DELETED BY MODERATOR--

As stated elsewhere, it is ILLEGAL to post entire articles without the express written permission of the author.

As this article is already referred to elsewhere, please do not repost.

Our company should try to seize on this with advertising somehow .also this is on the FRONT page of cnn.com , sweet! everyone needs to check the cnn page ...

Not to be negative...but there's a WN board for a reason.

It'll be interesting to see how their business reacts to the news.

Let me look at this objectively...this article wants to make me scared of flying on a Southwest 737. So what do I do? Fly on a US 737 instead? The US 737 has visible cracks all over it: cracked seats, cracked side panels, overhead bin doors broken or missing.

Sorry, I'd feel safer putting myself and my children on the exceptionally clean and well-maintained (at least it looks that way) Southwest plane.

That’s true flyer ,but for those of us who came from AWA , southwest was considered our biggest adversary and we would have like nothing more than to see them go out of business So considering that half of US airways was once AWA I think this article is relevant ….

So I guess what I’m saying is “hey look southwest just got a black eye !â€￾

It's scary to think of what may have happened. It's really pretty disappointing. Heads will roll. I don't know how this could have happened. Southwest is known (until now) for operating the safest fleet in domestic service. :unsure:

Let me look at this objectively...this article wants to make me scared of flying on a Southwest 737. So what do I do? Fly on a US 737 instead? The US 737 has visible cracks all over it: cracked seats, cracked side panels, overhead bin doors broken or missing.

Sorry, I'd feel safer putting myself and my children on the exceptionally clean and well-maintained (at least it looks that way) Southwest plane.

Sorry Bobbie, but I think what you said is just wrong. You are right -- US does have some shoddy interiors, but it has a very safe record and it is not the one under FAA scrutiny.

Exterior cracks are a very serious situation -- remember the Aloha 737 that had the roof ripped off from a crack and sucked a fellow flight attendant and a couple of pax into oblivion?

To compare a cracked leather seat in a US 737 to this WN situation is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

It's still not going to have any impact at all on Southwest. Ok, maybe they pay a bigger fine and someone from the FAA gets fired. Maybe someone in mx at Southwest gets fired too, but it isn't going to stop "their" passengers from getting on the planes.

You must be "high maintance" I'll take a mechanically safe plane anyday over being clean.

From the looks of this on the outside this appears to be way more than just an oversight! This looks more like putting profits before safety! Its one thing to have an airplane fly with an overdue inspection its downright criminal when you know its due and fly it anyway. These sort of inspections don't just come up, airlines know of these years in advance usually, in particular the rudder inspection and fuselage inspection it will be interesting to see how this turns out. :eek:

From the looks of this on the outside this appears to be way more than just an oversight! This looks more like putting profits before safety! Its one thing to have an airplane fly with an overdue inspection its downright criminal when you know its due and fly it anyway. These sort of inspections don't just come up, airlines know of these years in advance usually, in particular the rudder inspection and fuselage inspection it will be interesting to see how this turns out. :eek:

I particulary like the last line on SWA VP of maintenance Jim Sokol's bio.
The words short timer come to mind if this is all true.
I see some vacancies at LUV when this is all over.

http://www.swamedia.com/swamedia/bios/jim_sokol.html

Big difference Boobie, you will not 'DIE' from cracked seat covers. You can 'DIE' when the aircraft skin rips open.

B) UT