Scabs take note...

PurduePete

Senior
Jun 15, 2006
I know that this topic is not airline related, but it does bring to light how other unions feel about scabs. Since I am a big baseball fan, I like to follow the day-to-day happenings in the Major Leagues. Normally, when a player gets traded from one team to another, it's not that noteworthy, but this recent article really caught my attention...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14139414/

Lidle backs off of comments about Phillies
But ex-teammate still mad, says pitcher a 'scab'

Some excerpts from the article...

Cory Lidle backed off his critical comments that some of his former Philadelphia Phillies teammates did not expect to win, saying Tuesday that incessant trade talk sapped the team of enthusiasm.

Phillies reliever Arthur Rhodes did not back off his assessment of Lidle, acquired by the Yankees on Sunday, as a player who did not work at his craft and could be found in the clubhouse surfing the Internet or eating ice cream during games...

...Rhodes responded by calling Lidle, who crossed the picket line during the 1994-95 strike, a “scab,†and a player who spent too much time flying his airplane and gambling...

...Rhodes said he hasn’t spoken to Lidle since he confronted the pitcher for being on the Internet during a game in New York in May.

“I told him you’ve got to be out there for the first pitch and he got mad at me,†Rhodes said. “That meant he didn’t want to win, he didn’t want to go out there and root the team on.â€

Rhodes also said he’s not alone in being critical of Lidle for crossing the picket line in 1995. He said closer Tom Gordon and catcher Mike Lieberthal and “some of the other guys on the team†remained offended.

“It still hurts my feelings,†Rhodes said. “Once you cross the picket line, you cross the line, and everybody knows it.â€

Lidle said Tuesday that he wasn’t hurt by being called a scab, but he had thought he and Rhodes had a good relationship. Lidle said they played golf and cards together.

“I didn’t expect Arthur, of all people, to say anything,†Lidle said. “Me and Arthur got along great over there.

“For that to come out was kind of surprising.â€

It turns out that Lidle is among the group of scabs from 1995 who eventually made the big leagues. Here is a list of the rest (it's a lot like ALPA's Master Scab List)...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/...t_players.shtml

Also, here is a related article about Lidle from 2002 and how his teammates felt about him then...

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/17/Columns/Old_wounds.shtml

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the point I was trying to make is that once a person decides to cross a picket line to scab, they will be remembered as a scab forever - no matter what profession they are in. :up:

.....It turns out that Lidle is among the group of scabs from 1995 who eventually made the big leagues. Here is a list of the rest (it's a lot like ALPA's Master Scab List)...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/...t_players.shtml

Also, here is a related article about Lidle from 2002 and how his teammates felt about him then...

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/17/Columns/Old_wounds.shtml

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the point I was trying to make is that once a person decides to cross a picket line to scab, they will be remembered as a scab forever - no matter what profession they are in. :up:
I'll give kudos to ALPA, they can keep a LIST! Although it's been a long, long time since a NW Pilot strike that had scabs, I rememeber seeing names inside F/E table drawers. They do not forget.., I'll like to see that master list.

I'll give kudos to ALPA, they can keep a LIST! Although it's been a long, long time since a NW Pilot strike that had scabs, I rememeber seeing names inside F/E table drawers. They do not forget.., I'll like to see that master list.

I guess the biz of keeping "a list" is fine and well but let us be realists about this. I was listening to one of the strikers tell of how he was standing on the picket line listening to other NW employess tell him how much they care as they crossed the AMFA picket line daily. The word that comes to mind is...DUPLICITY. There are always those who are going to be smarter than the strikers. These are the people who in their own minds are going to win either way. CAPICE?

I guess the biz of keeping "a list" is fine and well but let us be realists about this. I was listening to one of the strikers tell of how he was standing on the picket line listening to other NW employess tell him how much they care as they crossed the AMFA picket line daily. The word that comes to mind is...DUPLICITY. There are always those who are going to be smarter than the strikers. These are the people who in their own minds are going to win either way. CAPICE?

Not DUPLICITY Necro...Hypocracy. When they tell ME that they support me 100%, then cross the line to go in the terminal, thats hypocracy. That or outright lying. You're right about it being in "their own minds". Now reality is going to bite em' hard. I hope this time they support themselves 100%...for real :angry:

Not DUPLICITY Necro...Hypocracy. When they tell ME that they support me 100%, then cross the line to go in the terminal, thats hypocracy. That or outright lying. You're right about it being in "their own minds". Now reality is going to bite em' hard. I hope this time they support themselves 100%...for real :angry:

Since posting the message which you have responded to here I've received private emails from those who fear the lurkers on this site. Personally, I've always been open about NW, the strike, SCABS and where I stand.

If some of you folks still work for NW and fear who is reading this board, your job has already robbed of your dignity.

Steenland can play his flute and all of his rats can follow him but in the end who will stand tall? I am suggesting that all who knuckle under to "heavy handed management" stand to lose much more than their jobs. People will need their self respect when they move on to another job or career. Your self respect will not be intact after dropping to your knees before tyrants.

'NUFF SAID!

Since posting the message which you have responded to here I've received private emails from those who fear the lurkers on this site. Personally, I've always been open about NW, the strike, SCABS and where I stand.

If some of you folks still work for NW and fear who is reading this board, your job has already robbed of your dignity.

Steenland can play his flute and all of his rats can follow him but in the end who will stand tall? I am suggesting that all who knuckle under to "heavy handed management" stand to lose much more than their jobs. People will need their self respect when they move on to another job or career. Your self respect will not be intact after dropping to your knees before tyrants.

'NUFF SAID!

You and a few others have been straight up with us Necro...beleive me when I say that "we appreciate the support" I don't worry about the company spies and the other leeches, thats why I use my name. Speaking my mind is my constitutional right. Speaking the truth is my God given right. Like you, I'm sick of the nwa tactics and the smears they continue to lamblast us with. Reneging on agreements is another act of cowardice that they have employed more regularly in recent years. All to one end, lining their pockets at our expense. Now with the F/A group falling in we have another chance to send the message...Stop the underhanded tactics.

I still see it as a collosal (sp?) failure of union leadership. The IAM never got over their "spurned lover" mentality towards the AMFA, and ALPA does what they always do; that is look out for their own best interests short term.

While DePace was under Steenland's desk looking to secure more work (only after the threat of a wildcat strike from the masses, BTW...and look where it got us...), the rest of had our home and work mailboxes flooded with letters from the IAM telling us that (in escence) they wouldn't defend the language in their own CBA regarding crossing lines. They left us all to our own devices.

I'm sorry to read that you all think I'm a hypocrite; all this time I thought I've been doing the right thing by not performing work prevously covered by your CBA. To me, it seemed (seems) like the "next best" thing to do, given the circumstances.

And I still argue that we (IAM, ALPA, PFAA, TWU, NAMA, ATSA) should have taken the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" stance and gone out with you.

I also still support all of you 100%.

P.S. The only reason my screen name isn't my "real" name (Kev is obvously short for Kevin), is because one of the administrators of this board is already using it. Also, once you have an account, you can't change your posting name (I've tried).....

I still see it as a collosal (sp?) failure of union leadership. The IAM never got over their "spurned lover" mentality towards the AMFA, and ALPA does what they always do; that is look out for their own best interests short term.

While DePace was under Steenland's desk looking to secure more work (only after the threat of a wildcat strike from the masses, BTW...and look where it got us...), the rest of had our home and work mailboxes flooded with letters from the IAM telling us that (in escence) they wouldn't defend the language in their own CBA regarding crossing lines. They left us all to our own devices.

I'm sorry to read that you all think I'm a hypocrite; all this time I thought I've been doing the right thing by not performing work prevously covered by your CBA. To me, it seemed (seems) like the "next best" thing to do, given the circumstances.

And I still argue that we (IAM, ALPA, PFAA, TWU, NAMA, ATSA) should have taken the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" stance and gone out with you.

I also still support all of you 100%.

Kev I have said it before that YOU are one of the ones that I know support us. When you told me that you were not doing the struck mechanic work to the bane of management, I believe you. When I thank Necro for being straight with us I count YOU in the small number that have supported us from the inside by sticking to your guns and not performing our work. That IS the next best thing. You can, and probably are, be an example to the younger rampers there of what it is exactly to stick to an agreement. The reason we have so many SCABS in the mechanic ranks I believe is because of POOR mentoring. Either by their fathers or whoever! I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post and for that I apologize.

Kev I have said it before that YOU are one of the ones that I know support us. When you told me that you were not doing the struck mechanic work to the bane of management, I believe you. When I thank Necro for being straight with us I count YOU in the small number that have supported us from the inside by sticking to your guns and not performing our work. That IS the next best thing. You can, and probably are, be an example to the younger rampers there of what it is exactly to stick to an agreement. The reason we have so many SCABS in the mechanic ranks I believe is because of POOR mentoring. Either by their fathers or whoever! I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post and for that I apologize.

Let's get to the skinny! REAL union people never cross ANY picket line...PERIOD!

To those of us outside of the airline the situation with NW employees looks very disgusting. How could so many union members NOT honor a picket line?

...How could so many union members NOT honor a picket line?
How can you expect people to honor a picket line created by a union when unions no longer exist? The NWA fiasco is a prime example of what unions have become, in effect non-existent. They don't just cross each other’s picket line they stick a knife in each other and twist it by doing struck work. All the while saying, "We support you." Unions are simply money collectors that only a few chosen gets to collect from. You suckers continue to pay into them as they continue to bed-down with the companies and sell all you poor suckers out. What are you suckers doing about it? Standing around crying Why, Why, Why. Or hey, lets swap unions. We can go from one worthless union to another. You guys aren't doing anything but running backwards.

How can you expect people to honor a picket line created by a union when unions no longer exist? The NWA fiasco is a prime example of what unions have become, in effect non-existent. They don't just cross each other’s picket line they stick a knife in each other and twist it by doing struck work. All the while saying, "We support you." Unions are simply money collectors that only a few chosen gets to collect from. You suckers continue to pay into them as they continue to bed-down with the companies and sell all you poor suckers out. What are you suckers doing about it? Standing around crying Why, Why, Why. Or hey, lets swap unions. We can go from one worthless union to another. You guys aren't doing anything but running backwards.

LOL In your post above (as in many other of your messages) your ill feelings are again ozzing as would open wounds. I'm not sure what former coworkers ever did to you but I'm guessing that you were not tolerated.

What a way to walk through life!

LOL In your post above (as in many other of your messages) your ill feelings...
Is that so? I do ask you Necro, what did I say that was not true? Have you yet to hear anyone here say anything good about the unions that they belong? Ask Hackman how he feels about his union. Ask our lovely Princess how she feels about her union. The People here believe in the idea of unionism but they all know that there is nothing that the current unions can do for them. You have to see this as well.

Is that so? I do ask you Necro, what did I say that was not true? Have you yet to hear anyone here say anything good about the unions that they belong? Ask Hackman how he feels about his union. Ask our lovely Princess how she feels about her union. The People here believe in the idea of unionism but they all know that there is nothing that the current unions can do for them. You have to see this as well.

It is so! Your constant hate messages which are directed toward unions and other mechanics indicate that you take feel passed over, were picked on in the workplace and that you search for blame outside of yourself rather than face internal truths.

You don't know enough about unions to speak about what unions can do. As a SCAB you only feed on the leftovers that are served during labor actions.

Present day unions provide such valuable work rules in the industrial and institutional workplaces. Again as a SCAB you wouldn't know much about such issues.

How long will you work at your next job before employees isolate you? NICE GOING!

It is so!...
:lol: That sure is a lot of babbling Mr. Necro Freud :lol: .I hate to disappoint you in your assessment of me but you are way off the mark. As a matter of fact my next job starts this Monday and I will be there till mid November. Hopefully in mid November I will get laid-off if not I will simply quit. Do you care to respond to any of the questions I asked in post 12?

I see your still confused, which is no surprise as a POS scab. I despise my union leadership (lack there of), but I love my union brothers and sisters (ones that are not sellouts). I would walk through the fires of hell for them. Those of us on the floor are the union, not the lackeys that sellout at every turn in the plush offices on Broadway. We have quite a tight support group, and thats what you do not have, and you never will. The wheels of justice turn slow, but they do turn. We will affect change, the majority will rule, and we will prevale. It might take the rest of my life, but I will never stop fighting for what I believe in, never. Where as yourself, you will cower to the man, cowardice is the scabs' mantra. Your a prime example. :ph34r:

:lol: That sure is a lot of babbling Mr. Necro Freud :lol: .I hate to disappoint you in your assessment of me but you are way off the mark. As a matter of fact my next job starts this Monday and I will be there till mid November. Hopefully in mid November I will get laid-off if not I will simply quit. Do you care to respond to any of the questions I asked in post 12?
What a scab wrench gypsy life. How many jobs will you have in your miserable life? Too many to count? Your family must be proud. :rolleyes: