Scabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

amt4u

Jul 18, 2003
does anyone know if nwa has replacement mechanics in case of a strike and of how many?
nwa is a very large company to operate with a hand full of management and a few hundred scabs?

a friend.

From what the news stations have said (HERE IN MSP) and shown on TV. NWA has had mechanics in training since the end of may begining or June and they have video of them at a hotel in AZ.

They are still recruiting SCABS. I know a lot of guys I work with got postcards from AvTechs. $32/hr, $2000 bonus, paid hotel, tools provided. The jokes about the cards were pretty good. We figure the 'Tools' include a pen and if your lucky a crowbar to pry open a strikers tool box. We are also picturing the prison bus they would shuttle you from the hotel to work in.

It is really sad NW had to go this route.

DalMD88 said:
They are still recruiting SCABS. I know a lot of guys I work with got postcards from AvTechs. $32/hr, $2000 bonus, paid hotel, tools provided. The jokes about the cards were pretty good. We figure the 'Tools' include a pen and if your lucky a crowbar to pry open a strikers tool box. We are also picturing the prison bus they would shuttle you from the hotel to work in.

[post="283329"][/post]​

No, what’s really “sadâ€￾ is to see AMFA gamble with the livelihoods of all NWA mechanics because they’ve got something to prove after taking it in the shorts at United. These guys need to pull their heads out of their a**es before all 4,500 NWA technicians end up on the street. And letting the company go the Chapter 11 route so it’s “not the union’s faultâ€￾ that the mechanics took a pay cut is pathetic!

I could be wrong but ..........it seems to me that going on strike at this time would close the book on nwa mechanics. There would be no hope for any mechanic. If you live to fight again another day...........there is HOPE! HOPE for all laid off and hope of getting our airline back on its feet. An nwa mechanic rep. was speaking and telling the news that it will be another EASTERN. Ok, wow, that sure is hopeful. Saying that means that they are ready to go to work fixing cars. I wonder what an ex-EASTERN mech. would say about this kind of thinking? Would he say "I wish we had lived to fight again another day" or would he say, "Yep, I am glad I lost my job and am now fixing cars." ? This all may be moot because nwa may be waiting to fire all mechanics. I just think it is insane to wish for an EASTERN type downfall. Look at AA......I just sat on a jumpseat and they said that they do not like the pay but at least they can fight to get it back. "FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY does not work! If they had told the co. to pound sand......they would not be here! Job-----No Job? What is best. Food--No Food. ? I have been very poor and dont want to go back there. Good luck to our Great NWA Mechanics. I hope the best for all!

nwa400 said:
Look at AA......I just sat on a jumpseat and they said that they do not like the pay but at least they can fight to get it back. "FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY does not work!
[post="283359"][/post]​

NWA you sound like a reasonable person. However, there are many in your group that feel any type of concession is not acceptable and label anyone that has used the "live to fight another day" arguement as a case for a company to cease operations. Your very own RTB and NBNW have said the same about UAL. Time for them and the rest to put the money where the mouth is and see if they have the courage of their convictions.

nwa400 said:
I could be wrong but ..........it seems to me that going on strike at this time would close the book on nwa mechanics. There would be no hope for any mechanic. If you live to fight again another day...........there is HOPE! HOPE for all laid off and hope of getting our airline back on its feet. An nwa mechanic rep. was speaking and telling the news that it will be another EASTERN. Ok, wow, that sure is hopeful. Saying that means that they are ready to go to work fixing cars. I wonder what an ex-EASTERN mech. would say about this kind of thinking? Would he say "I wish we had lived to fight again another day" or would he say, "Yep, I am glad I lost my job and am now fixing cars." ? This all may be moot because nwa may be waiting to fire all mechanics. I just think it is insane to wish for an EASTERN type downfall. Look at AA......I just sat on a jumpseat and they said that they do not like the pay but at least they can fight to get it back. "FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY does not work! If they had told the co. to pound sand......they would not be here! Job-----No Job? What is best. Food--No Food. ? I have been very poor and dont want to go back there. Good luck to our Great NWA Mechanics. I hope the best for all!
[post="283359"][/post]​
What the NW and EAL situation have in common is that they both want/wanted a strike to rid themselves of unionized AMTs forever. NW management declined binding arbitration and almost certainly opposes a PEB. Lorenzo took this same position at EAL. NW management wants this strike.

NWA400
Good post. In this situation, however, the mechanics are being asked to vote themselves out of a job because NW wants to outsource a much larger portion of maintenance work. It would be quite difficult for me to vote away my job so that I can go to work fixing VW's while someone in Malaysia does the D checks on 747-400s that I used to do.

good luck to all at NWA

bigsky

you are missing the big picture - nwa is pushing for a strike to justify a bankruptcy filing before the more stringent bk measures apply. they are determined to follow ual's path to free themselves of pension obligations while they still can. it's a loser either way.

I disagree. Chapter 11 is the last tool NW wants to use. There's actually a good chance that that could be the end for NWA should a filing take place. They would rather get the big cuts out of labor and handle the pension issues without filing for Chap. 11 protection. Hopefully that could still be an option.

bigsky

JetClipper said:
No, what’s really “sadâ€￾ is to see AMFA gamble with the livelihoods of all NWA mechanics because they’ve got something to prove after taking it in the shorts at United. These guys need to pull their heads out of their a**es before all 4,500 NWA technicians end up on the street. And letting the company go the Chapter 11 route so it’s “not the union’s faultâ€￾ that the mechanics took a pay cut is pathetic!
[post="283340"][/post]​

We may be mechanics, but we can do the math: NWA has cut almost 50% of us since 9/11, is demanding to cut another 53% now while removing any language that would keep them from cutting another 50%, and another, and another, anytime they want. If all 4500 are headed for the street anyway, why not now?

The issues at NWA and UAL are quite different, and no one from AMFA has mentioned either the need to "prove something" or letting the company go CH11. AMFA has tried for eight months to negotiate with NWA, offering NWA substantial savings, and NWA has yet to move from their initial demands.

nwa400 said:
I could be wrong but ..........it seems to me that going on strike at this time would close the book on nwa mechanics. There would be no hope for any mechanic. If you live to fight again another day...........there is HOPE! HOPE for all laid off and hope of getting our airline back on its feet.
[post="283359"][/post]​

When you're being asked to vote yourself out of a job, where's the "HOPE"? What good are recall rights at a company that has made it clear that they intend to break our union or get out of the aircraft maintenance business? You say: "There would be no hope for any mechanic.", to which I reply: "There is none now.".

An nwa mechanic rep. was speaking and telling the news that it will be another EASTERN. Ok, wow, that sure is hopeful. Saying that means that they are ready to go to work fixing cars. I wonder what an ex-EASTERN mech. would say about this kind of thinking? Would he say "I wish we had lived to fight again another day" or would he say, "Yep, I am glad I lost my job and am now fixing cars."

Actually, quite a few ex-EAL mechanics work for NWA and are among the most vocal about the company's refusal to negotiate and their current Frank Lorenzo tactics. As for fixing cars, it would be a pay raise and provide day shift with weekends and holidays off and nobody would ask them to take a paycut to underwrite a flawed business plan while executives got bonuses.

Look at AA......I just sat on a jumpseat and they said that they do not like the pay but at least they can fight to get it back.

Yet they weren't asked to vote to eliminate their jobs either. We're not talking a temporary layoff: NWA is demanding job elimination. AMFA has attempted to negotiate in good faith with NWA, offering substantial cost savings, yet NWA has remained unwilling to alter their demands or discuss other options to achieve the savings they say they need. You may blame AMFA for the strike if you wish, but it is clear to us who caused it.

DalMD88 said:
They are still recruiting SCABS.

[post="283329"][/post]​

They did not Have to go this route-they decided to. They want to play this ch11 threat for all it's worth before they can show profits again on paper. They realize their window to squeeze employees is closing fast as other cariiers are starting to show profits this quarter. NWA managment is not stupid.

kiowa said:
They did not Have to go this route-they decided to. They want to play this ch11 threat for all it's worth before they can show profits again on paper. They realize their window to squeeze employees is closing fast as other cariiers are starting to show profits this quarter. NWA managment is not stupid.
[post="283447"][/post]​
<_< That's a matter of opinon!!!!! :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.