Scandal at APFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

floatingon9

Mar 10, 2010
Big scandal at APFA. The Treasurer will be stepping down on April 1, 2010:

March 8, 2010

Dear APFA Leadership and Membership:

It is necessary for me to notify you of the most important decision I have ever made as a flight attendant and a union official. I have given this decision incredible thought. I have sought advice and wisdom from those whom I most respect.

It is clear that it is best for our 18,000 flight attendants, the APFA and the union's leadership for me to resign as APFA Treasurer. This will take effect on April 1, 2010. My decision is irrevocable.

Just recently it became clear that several of my colleagues had concerns over my use of an APFA provided apartment in DFW. Long ago APFA decided that our National Officers who work fulltime at our Euless headquarters would be provided a no cost apartment if they reside outside the DFW metropolitan area. I have been living in such an apartment like my predecessors.

Yet, some sincerely and strongly believe that because I sold my house in Florida in November 2008, I am not entitled to have APFA provide me with an apartment. They view this housing as an unfair benefit to me since I pay no other housing cost and because I spend much of my time working in DFW.

I respectfully disagree. My legal residence is in a home shared with my mother in Florida. I am a legal resident of that state. Among other things, I am registered to vote there, my car is registered there and I pay taxes there. While it is true my mother does not charge me rent, it seemed appropriate to take her up on the offer to have me live with her. That was, and still is, a private family matter.

But this honest disagreement over my housing is not the point. Union leaders can have a legitimate disagreement.

What is the point is that this debate has the potential of dividing our attention. We can not ever allow APFA, and our flight attendant membership, to lose sight of our real target. We must smartly and strategically battle our company as we seek to restore our contract and protect our profession. Nothing could be more important.

So, I must do the right thing. I do not want this housing discussion to turn into a political distraction that turns our attention away from our contract campaign.

The greater good must prevail. I resign so we can get past the issue. We must continue to focus on the needs of the membership.

Further, even though I did nothing wrong and acted with the best of intentions based on my honest interpretation of APFA's policy, I choose to pay back the rent monies spent by APFA. This will fully put to rest any concerns some may have, and most importantly let me keep my good name.

I will of course fully assist in the transitions of my duties, and will make sure that all responsibilities in the Treasurer's Department are attended to during the transition. After the orderly transition it will be time for me to go back to where I began ˆ to the line. Let me assure you, that you can continue to count on me to be at every rally, stay united and be vocal in my support of our flight attendants.

In Unity,

Juan Barrera

Well IMHO that was dumb. The union paid apartment doesnt sound like a big deal, as long as the officer lives somewhere else. Its probably cheaper than renting a Hotel Room every time they come into town for union business. To resign over a little criticism tells me either there's more to the story or they werent that committed to the job in the first place.

Well IMHO that was dumb. The union paid apartment doesnt sound like a big deal, as long as the officer lives somewhere else. Its probably cheaper than renting a Hotel Room every time they come into town for union business. To resign over a little criticism tells me either there's more to the story or they werent that committed to the job in the first place.
Yeah somethings up with this.... You know the saying ... " There are 3 sides to the story"
I'd like to hear the unions side.

I can't imagine deciding reimbursing the union for a year's rent was just a casual thought or act of altruism...

Always nice when someone accused of ethical lapses pays the money back and then declares that paying the money back makes everything ok again:

Further, even though I did nothing wrong and acted with the best of intentions based on my honest interpretation of APFA's policy, I choose to pay back the rent monies spent by APFA. This will fully put to rest any concerns some may have, and most importantly let me keep my good name.

I can see resigning if you're afraid that the allegations would distract the members in their negotiations for a better contract, but why pay back the money if you've done nothing wrong?

Always nice when someone accused of ethical lapses pays the money back and then declares that paying the money back makes everything ok again:

I can see resigning if you're afraid that the allegations would distract the members in their negotiations for a better contract, but why pay back the money if you've done nothing wrong?

Hush Money?

From your experience just on this site, how interested are flight attendants, or airline employees in general interested in facts over a good half truth, rumor or allegation? Why pay the money back, maybe it slows the galley gossip faster by not having the we want our money back drama to be the topic of the various web sites, yahoo groups and galley gossip.

I knew Juan from being in Miami and can say he is one of the more upstanding people I have flown with. I dont know why he sold his house it may be his business was hurting and had to, or God forbid a divorce, or like so many others just in over his head in the collapse.

I Second Mikey in saying Juan is an upstanding guy.
I hope all will save judgment until all the facts are in.

My only question is why is APFA giving the top four officers
a $2000 a month for an apt in the DFW area? I mean $2000
a month sounds like a lot of money. I live in NYC and to pay
$2000 a month you have to be living in a top location.
$2000 a month must get you a mansion with maid in
the DFW area......Well maybe $2100 if the maid speaks english.

I knew Juan from being in Miami and can say he is one of the more upstanding people I have flown with. I dont know why he sold his house it may be his business was hurting and had to, or God forbid a divorce, or like so many others just in over his head in the collapse.

Then its too bad that he didnt stay with it.

His reasoning just seemed lame.

I mean, criticism over any little thing comes with the job.

If he was entitled to the apartment then whats the problem? Especially since the policy preceeded him. I would have told those who were complaining to make a motion to change the policy, would have even offered to help them write it. More than likely they wouldnt have bothered to go to the trouble.

If he wanted to resign for other reasons he should have just said "personal reasons" and left the whole apartment thing out of it because it doesnt seem like a good excuse to resign from doing what I imagine he wanted to do when he ran. I'm not saying he did anything bad, I'm just saying that the reasons he's giving here seem trivial.

My only question is why is APFA giving the top four officers
a $2000 a month for an apt in the DFW area? I mean $2000
a month sounds like a lot of money. I live in NYC and to pay
$2000 a month you have to be living in a top location.
$2000 a month must get you a mansion with maid in
the DFW area......Well maybe $2100 if the maid speaks english.

Where did you get the 2000.00 figure??

Status
Not open for further replies.