Sea-tac's Wakeup Call

corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle Times business reporter asks "is it all to much?"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...21_gates07.html

My favorite quote from the story:

The Port acknowledges that Sea-Tac's price tag grew, but it insists the project isn't over budget. Under Port definitions, any additions to the project are "changes in scope" that count as new work, not overruns.

:blink: :huh: :unsure:

If the Port of Seattle can get a grip on its costs every airline will have reasonable fees and no one will have to move! It took a courageous executive like Gary Kelly to fire the shot across the bow at the Port. Could a win-win really exist? I think so!

From the article:

"Already bursting at the seams, [Sea-Tac] cannot support the region's growing air-transportation needs without modernization and expansion," says a Port study.

"Sea-Tac's terminal and roadway system can handle 25 million annual passengers comfortably," it says. "It is currently at 28 million annual passengers and ... expected to reach 45 million annual passengers by 2021."
If it's true that Sea-Tac is "bursting at the seams", then maybe it makes sense offload some of the traffic to BFI. And if SWA is willing to pony up $130 million to that end, it's an offer that seems hard to pass up.

A330US said:
finally
something good hit swa, thats what cheap wal mart airlines get !
[post="287405"][/post]​

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :unsure:

By the way, we welcome the new USAirways (N:LCC) to the "Cheap WalMart Airline" category!

corl737 said:
I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :unsure:

By the way, we welcome the new USAirways (N:LCC) to the "Cheap WalMart Airline" category!
[post="287477"][/post]​

Whatever. The new usairways will still not be a " cheap walmart airline " only cheap trailer trash go on southwest, if you watch A and E's AIRLINE show, youll know how cheap, trashy and frustrating southwest is !
US has no problems like that, because US has everything that WN cannot have !
US mite not have a profit, but their route structure etc, forget WN, only cheap walmart airlines run 737s thru their whole fleet !

LONG LIVE US AIRWAYS !

A330US said:
Whatever. The new usairways will still not be a " cheap walmart airline " only cheap trailer trash go on southwest, if you watch A and E's AIRLINE show, youll know how cheap, trashy and frustrating southwest is !
US has no problems like that, because US has everything that WN cannot have !
US mite not have a profit, but their route structure etc, forget WN, only cheap walmart airlines run 737s thru their whole fleet !

LONG LIVE US AIRWAYS !
[post="287678"][/post]​

Well, I suppose US does have some things that WN does not have -- cramped, uncomfortable coach seats, basically just two hubs (one of which is in horrible shape and negatively impacts the entire system), atrocious baggage delivery, a punitive $100 change fee, punitive full fares, and phone reps that speak fluent Spanish.

A330US said:
only cheap trailer trash go on southwest, if you watch A and E's AIRLINE show, youll know how cheap, trashy and frustrating southwest is !

(I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but...)
Yep, like that trashy Dallas dentist and all of his cheap, trashy students who were featured on this week's episode. You're SO right...
:rolleyes:

JS said:
Well, I suppose US does have some things that WN does not have -- and phone reps that speak fluent Spanish.

Herb's got those, but where they should be--at 1-800-VAMONOS! (great phone #, BTW...)
:D

JS said:
Well, I suppose US does have some things that WN does not have -- cramped, uncomfortable coach seats, basically just two hubs (one of which is in horrible shape and negatively impacts the entire system), atrocious baggage delivery, a punitive $100 change fee, punitive full fares, and phone reps that speak fluent Spanish.
[post="287704"][/post]​

has two hubs and one negatively impacts the system, dude, have u been on a A330, i know WN doesnt have them , thats like 100 years from now when they will get those, anyway, if you have, they arent cramped at all, have space, US hubs are great PHL and CLT , dallas love field and midway, they both suck, dont compare anything to clt and phl, and i dont recall phone reps speaking spanish, and if they do, what so bad about that ?, ppl get paid more like that
remember
WN sucks, and so do all those 737s they have in those ugly colors ( i like 737)
and im not a troll

A330US said:
has two hubs and one negatively impacts the system, dude, have u been on a A330, i know WN doesnt have them , thats like 100 years from now when they will get those, anyway, if you have, they arent cramped at all, have space, US hubs are great PHL and CLT , dallas love field and midway, they both suck, dont compare anything to clt and phl, and i dont recall phone reps speaking spanish, and if they do, what so bad about that ?, ppl get paid more like that
remember
WN sucks, and so do all those 737s they have in those ugly colors ( i like 737)

Does US Airways fly the A-330 to any destination that Southwest flies to? What, they don't???? Well then, why the comparison? :rolleyes:

PHL is great and Love Field and MDW suck ... and I suppose 1+1=3, too. You are obviously a troll.

and im not a troll
[post="287719"][/post]​

And pigs fly!

i only wanted to see how ppl feel about the comparison, and also this move for WN will cost more money than they are paying at SEA, they will have to build a new terminal,
isnt gonna cost anywhere less than $500 mill, so why change to another airport ?
and also you know that PHL and CLT are good hubs,, they dont negatively impact the system at all, also just because A330 doesnt fly anywhere where WN does, that doesnt matter, they are all the same seats that are on every other US aircraft
so think about it

When I moved into my house that is 8 miles from the airport, but in the pattern, I had to sign acknowledging the a/c noise. I will bet for most that the airport was ther before them, so face the facts. SWA should be allowed to move. Just my thoughts.........

A330US said:
US mite not have a profit, but their route structure etc, forget WN, only  cheap walmart airlines run 737s thru their whole fleet !

LONG LIVE US AIRWAYS !
[post="287678"][/post]​

:shock:
WHAT!!! Apparently all the government bailouts and corporate welfare programs have allowed you to forget that without profits you have nothing. It's taking the benelovence of a desert-dwelling America West to keep your failed business from being just another footnote in airline history.

Doug Parker's only mistake is allowing USAirways to live the illusion that they are the champions of the merger instead of the ones being rescued. The biggest obstacle will be to get the decent, hard working people of AWA to accept that their culture is about to be innundated by a massive influx of bitterness, anger, and contempt. I wish the merger well because it will be good for the industry and the few workers who will keep their jobs. It will definitely be a challenge.

I hate to state the obvious but your remarks are based only from anger that your management doesn't give a ratz ass about you or your fellow employees. Southwest, on the other hand, knows that it is only through the continued teamwork of labor and management that success is achieved. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what I fly nor who I transport. Its a job that gives my family a comfortable lifestyle. I just happened to choose a company that has 34 years of continuous growth. US Airways, meanwhile, though probably a good choice at the time you went there, has failed to live up to your expectations.

(I shouldn't publicly embarrass you by bringing to light that on the published pay scales SWA's 12-year B737 Captains make 13.75% more per hour than do 16-year US Airways A330 Captains... but with your attitude you deserve the humiliation.

Now, back on thread --

Will SWA move to Boeing field? My guess is that eventually SEA-TAC will reach an agreement that will lower costs for everyone thus making the move less financially necessary. However, I still applaud SWA's courage to stand up to the tyrannical fees that so many airports feel they can impose without question.

A330US said:
US hubs are great PHL and CLT , dallas love field and midway, they both suck, dont compare anything to clt and phl,

You're the only one comparing DAL/MDW to PHL/CLT. Why?
If one is comparing largest operations one would be comparing PHL/CLT to LAS/PHX!

I won't say anything bad about CLT as I've never been there and it may well be a wonderful facility, but I certainly wouldn't put PHL in the same league, from a customer perspective, as either Sky Harbor or McCarran.
Heck, Love is a pleasant little airport to transit through these days, and while MDW has become a bit crowded at times recently (thanks to WN), it is certainly a much nicer facility than it was before the recent renovatiuon/expansion.

Latest posts