Second daily MIA-LHR....FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so it is only a winter service, but the AA Gods have listened!
AA 112 MIA 2325-1320 LHR 763
AA 113 LHR 1520-2035 MIA 763
Service operates through 29Mar03. It is using the slot that is currently used by AA66/67 (ORD-LHR), which will become a seasonal summer service. This will bring up the total daily flights between Miami and London to five dailies. Two British Airways 747-400s to Heathrow, two American Airlines 777-200s to Heathrow, and one Virgin Atlantic 747-400 to Gatwick.
I'm hoping that this goes year-round, and I am optimistic that it will. Thank you AA!!!!!
Great day for MIA...new service to SEA and double-daily AA to London!

HOW many people fly from LHR via MIA to deep South America, few? SAO PAULO and Buenos Aires are the best served cities in South America from Europe. SAO PAULO is served daily, at the very least, by every major European airline and by Varig or TAM.
----------------

Sao Paulo is well served to Europe. Overall, so is Buenos Aires. However, Buenos Aires does not have daily service to London, and alot of London-Buenos Aires passengers do connect via the United States. Rio de Janiero also lacks daily service to London if I am not mistaken. Santiago de Chile has no service to London, and neither does Lima. Nor Montevideo, Belo Horizonte, or Asuncion.

Yeah but that MIA-SEA should be on AA, not AS... Hope AA responds soon. AS is a competitive threat, not a friendly little regional partner anymore.

The flight is good for O&D traffic. AA is not the only carrier offering these extreme times. Air France's second daily Paris departure, which resumes 2 November, also leaves past 2300 (2315 I think). Iberia has a midnight departure to Madrid, and Martinair has a past-midnight departure to Amsterdam. The timing can get connecting passengers from the last arrival of Eagle flights, but that is probably all the feed, IMO, that this flight will get (and need). What I am surprised at, however, is why not make it a daylight flight? A daylight flight can get really good connections from deep South America. Though it probably has to do with slot issues.

Its great AA is able to finally offer double daily MIA- LHR even if only for a few months. Though why at these extreme times. The present flight leaves Miami at 7:45pm and returns from LHR at 10:45am. The second flight from MIA should be earlier say at 5:30pm and returning at about 2:00pm, this would offer a better arrival time to MIA. The flight times are good if the passengers are going to Chile, Brazil, and Argentina. HOW many people fly from LHR via MIA to deep South America, few? SAO PAULO and Buenos Aires are the best served cities in South America from Europe. SAO PAULO is served daily, at the very least, by every major European airline and by Varig or TAM.

Problem with that is the Miami leg is a 777. You would be short 2 people on the middle legs.

Once you guys get to flying on it you will love it. It really is a great plane to work on. Except for the lack of garbage space in F/C and the lack of any real closets.

I know you said earlier that the TW 767's, different planes different galleys. So at least for the ISL girls, a single type galley with everything always in the same spot. Will make for a easier time.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 9:51:16 PM

Big day for MIA indeed. Yet whatever happened to the daily BA flights to LGW? I'm assuming BA/AA ran Virgin out of LHR, but Virgin ran BA out of LGW?
----------------

Well, Virgin did not really run BA out of LHR. When British Airways announced massive changes in early 2001, they planned to move all 747-400s to Heathrow and and combine all international destinations into one airport. They moved MIA-LGW to a second-daily MIA-LHR flight on 5 April 2001 for many resaons:

1) To use a 747-400 on the dense route
2) LHR is better for business travelers, which are plenty on the route
3) All four-class aircraft were to be LHR-based, and MIA is a BA 4-Class destination
4) (and this is the main reason) It was one of the first steps towards the major reductions of BA at London Gatwick as they wanted to concentrate on Heathrow.

Question....not relly to do with all this but here it is..
Is the new 767-300 w/ 30 seats going to be the domestic 767 f/c seats(blue)...the old domestic 767 (beige/red seats)..or a new product as announced....God I hope it is not the current B/C-dom F/C seat....I hope they do this right at CO and DL seats in their intl B/C are nice..
ALSO...in the 777 reconfig...is the Flagship suite going?
I work at AA and can seem to find the answer...anybody?

----------------
On 8/22/2002 9:56:41 PM

Lets just hope Miami crews get to fly it. That it isn't farmed out to JFK or IOR as a 6 day trip.
----------------

Hey Mikey, haven't you heard yet?
The TWA (STL) based F/A's will be flying this trip. They (AA) can do that since it is only a seasonal trip. [:)]

The way things are going I think any additional flying to minimize furloughs should be good enough for now. Whether it be ORD or MIA crews. Yea I agree it should be Miami crews flying this trip. Then as someone mentioned on a earlier post that this is a ORD slot, you will get an arguement here from the ORD base if they let the Miami crews fly the trip.
[:)] [:)]

----------------
On 8/23/2002 2:48:18 AM

Question....not relly to do with all this but here it is..
Is the new 767-300 w/ 30 seats going to be the domestic 767 f/c seats(blue)...the old domestic 767 (beige/red seats)..or a new product as announced....God I hope it is not the current B/C-dom F/C seat....I hope they do this right at CO and DL seats in their intl B/C are nice..
ALSO...in the 777 reconfig...is the Flagship suite going?
I work at AA and can seem to find the answer...anybody?
----------------
All 777's will be the Atlantic configuration and have the suites. AA is also proceding with the change over to crew rest bunks on the 777. From Jane Allens hot line.

The 767 will have the same B/C seat they have now. At a 60 inch pitch. I cant say absolutly, but I believe that is the current pitch. It would be nice if they could space the seats a bit farther and have a greater recline.

Virgin did fly MIA - LHR for about 6 months in the fall of 2000 and spring 2001. They moved back to LGW when they started (since cancelled) LHR-ORD service. Since ORD is more of a business market I guess they decided that was a better use of a LHR slot. Virgin discovered though competeing against AA and UA with 3 or 4 ORD-LHR daily is difficult even if you are VIRGIN. When they went to Toronto from LGW in the summer of 2001 they didn't last long either with BA(2 daily) and Air Canada(3 or 4 daily). Virgin has been very succesful though at the big coastal markets LAX, JFK, SFO, BOS and IAD, they have the best business class ( Upper Class). I do hope since I live in Florida that Virgin will fly to LHR from MIA. Leisure travelers may not mind flying to LGW, but they are at a disadvantage to BA and AA. From LHR Virgin flies to the most important overseas destinations HKG, NRT, JNB and USA. The one destination missing from Virgin is Singapore and Australia, they may not want to compete with their 49% owner SIA but they would bring more heartburn to BA since Aussie is about the only major destination Virgin doesn't fly to left on the map of significance to England.

Status
Not open for further replies.