Senior Officer Appointments

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today’s management changes will undoubtedly have the pundits indicating the demise of the company because senior officers are leaving the company. I do not believe that to be the case and there are a number of quality people taking key positions.

Let’s review current and key changes:

Last year ALPA MEC chairman Bill Pollock lead the effort to remove Dave Siegel and Neil Cohen. In their place came Bruce Lakefield and Dave Davis. There is no question that Lakefield is an excellent CEO with impeccable integrity. Davis was a good addition, but I understand that his replacement, Ron Stanley, his highly experienced and was a key addition/upgrade to the Finance Department.

At some point in the future, Lakefield is expected to retire and individuals within and outside the company are lobbying for his position. Two internal candidates are Ben Baldanza and Bruce Ashby, and I understand a leading outside candidate is Chautauqua CEO Brian Bedford, who is considered a talented young executive.

In regard to Baldanza’s departure, I suspect he knew that he was not going to eventually be Lakefield’s replacement and he wants to run his own airline. Baldanza may have made his name available to headhunters and the best job he could find was COO and president of Spirit, a small LCC based in Florida.

Bruce Ashby is a talented senior executive who has held a number of industry financial, marketing, and corporate development positions. Ashby has a strong educational background with master’s degree in operations research and a bachelor’s degree in economics from Stanford University. Ashbywas brought to US Airways by former CEO Stephen Wolf and joined the company 1996 as vice president - financial planning and analysis. Before that, he was with Delta as vice president - marketing development. He also was employed by United Airlines in Chicago as vice president - financial planning and analysis, and as vice president and treasurer.

Ashby led United’s effort to create Shuttle by United, Delta’s efforts to create Delta Express, and US Airways’ Metrojet. His most recent US Airways position was senior vice president of corporate development and then senior vice president of alliances and express.

Much of Ashby’s previous work is complete with the Star, United, GoCaribbean, and affiliate carrier alliance integration complete. In addition, most of Ashby’s Express work is complete such as the MDA start-up, PSA transfer from Dornier turboprops to CRJ’s, the Dash-8 consolidation and the merger between Piedmont and Allegheny.

During the past year he was the company’s senior officer in charge of negotiating new labor agreements with the unions.

Ashby is a talented individual who is a leading candidate to become US Airways’ next CEO and I suspect this promotion will help the company transform itself and may be another step to eventually become CEO, which is something Baldanza may have known.

In regard to Jim Schear leaving the VP of Transformation position, when he was hired today was preordainded. Most of Schear’s work is now complete and in the hands of the executive suite. With virtually all labor deals in place, major network changes about to proceed on February 6 (Ft. Lauderdsale expansion, Philadelphia rolling hub, Washington point-to-point flying into OA hubs, increased aircraft utilization, two more banks in Charlotte), and most new vendor agreements in place, most of Schear’s work is complete. The plan of reorganization is scheduled to be submitted to the court no later than February 15, about one-month away, thus the remaining duties can be handled by Anita Beier, as the senior vice president and controller.

When the restructuring blueprint almost complete, Schear had to go elsewhere or leave the company. I believe his appointment as vice president of safety and regulatory compliance is an upgrade and his diversified background can serve the company well in a number of capacities as a senior officer.

It’s my understanding that Janet Dhillon, Stephen Morell, Keith Houk, and Steve Farrow are all considered strong executives and their expertise will serve their departments well.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
During the past year he was the company’s senior officer in charge of negotiating new labor agreements with the unions.
Regards,
USA320Pilot
[post="238606"][/post]​
Wrong again there, how many times do we have to go over this?

From the Company's Press release:
Ashby was the lead negotiator in reaching cost savings labor agreements with the company's pilots and flight attendants.

Company Press Release

You might actually want to know about credibility.

USA320Pilot said:
Ashby led United’s effort to create Shuttle by United, Delta’s efforts to create Delta Express, and US Airways’ Metrojet. His most recent US Airways position was senior vice president of corporate development and then senior vice president of alliances and express.
[post="238606"][/post]​

I don't know how proud I'd be of Shuttle by United or Metrojet.

Baldanza said in an interview that he believes in US Airways' survival but couldn't pass up the chance to move from "a marketing role to a president's role" at Spirit.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Baldanza said in an interview that he believes in US Airways' survival but couldn't pass up the chance to move from "a marketing role to a president's role" at Spirit.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="238625"][/post]​

If you haven't learned yet, let me clue you in. Most management types lie to get in the door, they lie to stay once they are through the door and they lie as they are leaving through the door.

So go ahead and believe that.

Mr. Baldanza's impressive resume should also include his ability to outrage the most loyal and valuable customers to the point they organize their own support group, formerly known as "The Cockroaches" and now "Ffocus."

Thank God US Airways has such wonderful customers they care enough about our employees and our product they are willing to fight to keep us alive!

NO airline has that kind of loyalty just because of the FF perks!

Long Live Ffocus!

Dea

USA320,

When I need my resume upgraded, I am definitely coming to you to write it.

You just wrote Ashby's resume. I think he will be impressed with your impression.

Did you get BBB his job?

I have never, ever seen such a "cheerleader" for a managment team in any airline on any ocassion, give such unwaivering praise to a 'team' that took a company into bk twice, cause they couldn't get it right the first time....and 3 employee concessions later accomplishing the most shattered emplolyee morale out of any workforce known to mankind in written corporate history.

700UW said:
Wrong again there, how many times do we have to go over this?
[post="238608"][/post]​
Funny thing there...he was right that time. Reread what he wrote...he didn't say all unions.

Knee-jerk responses don't help your credibility, either...

He said EVERY, all and Every mean the samething.

Maybe you need to reread what he posted.

Notice he (320) didn't address the move that didn't occur.

Al Crelin, who is directly resoponsible for fixing any and all operational problems, is still on the job. PHL is his baby. The operation is his baby. And he is STILL in charge.

Schear is moving to a position that TOTALLY wastes his talent. He should replace Crelin but that did not happen. Politics is alive and well and your airline is still floundering operationally as moves that need to be made are ignored.

Crelin is the problem folks. Crelin.

mr

USA320Pilot said:
In regard to Baldanza’s departure, I suspect he knew that he was not going to eventually be Lakefield’s replacement and he wants to run his own airline. Baldanza may have made his name available to headhunters and the best job he could find was COO and president of Spirit, a small LCC based in Florida.
[post="238606"][/post]​

Wow, you must really be posturing for a job with the Bush administration for your post-US Airways career. You can spin anything into a positive and present all kinds of "facts" that you create through inference.

I still haven't heard from you how with the continued loss of high-ranking people at US Airways who will actually implement "the plan" that will transform US Airways into a money making machine.

Latest posts